NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

I know there had been some discussion about the ability to swap a '03 GTS radio into an '00/'01 GTS.

Here's some pics:

1.) Rear of the two radios ('03 on the left):

There are some additional plugs on the '03, proabally for the CD changer unit (changed from '01-02, I guess).

The main connector is the same size and shape. The debate, IIRC, was that the connector was the same, but smaller. Not true.

Here's a pic in my car:

I like the '03 radio better, it has a higher quality look and feel, and the front panel is contoured a bit, and molds to the dash better.

Anyway, hope this solves one of the recurring questions we seem to have.

Thanks,

Erik Johnson

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
whoever didnt figure that out is a idiot,

scion units also fit our cars for anyone that keeps asking that

and i believe all 99-current toyotas are swappable with the headunit

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
001s2000 said:
whoever didnt figure that out is a idiot,

scion units also fit our cars for anyone that keeps asking that

and i believe all 99-current toyotas are swappable with the headunit
Scion unit is plug and play for GT, but not for GTS
Scion unit sound quality sucks..

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
didnt even get the 6 disc in dash... for shame! lol jk... do the write up on upgrading to the 03+ jbl amp and speaker system... just went through that fun wiring excitement.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
plug and play baby, just make sure you match up the plugs on the back of the radio to w/e you have in your car. premium system is the 20 pin single harness, gt is a double harness sans separate amplifier.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
Double check the pinouts for the '02 vs '03. I seem to recall that there were 2 pins that were swapped. But, they might have been for something non-important like the motorized antenna on the '03.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
there's one additional pin, that goes to a relay, which goes to the power antenna if you have it. if youre just using the plug you have from an oem 00-02 system, it doesnt exist, and wont change anything. however, the pinouts for the amp harnesses are definitely very different.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
not sure, mine was listed for the rav4 and celica. it should be fairly obvious looking at it.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
ill get a model number this week sometime for ya.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
i keep forgetting to snap a pic or post the model # of my radio lol, sorry, glad ya found one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts