NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a prob with my system in that it sounds very flat, no bass or lows at all. The previous owner swapped the speakers and radio and bypassed the amp. I don't know if the speakers are blown or what but here are my options and I wanted to know what sounds better from your experiences.

1. Stock JBL radio powered by stock amp, stock speakers
2. Aftermarket radio self powered, stock speakers

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Maybe he removed the plastic round things that help a lot with the bass when he changed the speakers. Also the rears contribute to bass, maybe they dont work at all. OEM have ok bass for basic needs. I know because I changed them with "best" pioneers and i had nothing better in bass. My Clarion rare 150W RMS M-25x tweeters however are epic in highs. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plastic surrounds are there and the rears work. I dont need a lot of bass but I know for sure something is wrong with the system because it sounds worse than my old stock corolla.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Head unit is OEM?

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Ok then pull it out to see the connections. Are you sure you have the OEM amplifier? And a cheap aftermarket may sound crap.
Also it depends on your expectations. OEM with OEM amp sounds about OK with some decent bass, loud middle but poor highs.
My DNX8220BT sounds soooo much better.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,664 Posts
What year is the car? If it is an early MY, he may have bypassed the subs.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Ah OK
OEM unit has OK sound with some decent bass, very loud middle area and somewhat non existent highs. Radio sound quality is very good maybe better than CD. this is the plus.
For really better sound that worth it without adding extra amps etc, you have to choose a really good unit.
Keep low units in place.
I also noticed difference in highs changing to super extra expensive clarion tweeters only when starting to get the volume high (where is MUCH difference)...
Hope that helps...

·
15,664 Posts
I wanted to know what sounds better from your experiences.

1. Stock JBL radio powered by stock amp, stock speakers
2. Aftermarket radio self powered, stock speakers
I only have the early MY stock, which is fine for me. But, that's me. In either case, you do not have the stock speakers. You need to identify what you currently have in place. It may just be a matter of an incorrect HU setting that is your problem. Most folks have to replace the speakers when they upgrade HU's because the OEMs aren't rated very high. Your 3rd option is what you have, aftermarket HU & speakers. The 4th option is adding an amp &/or an amp/sub.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
its a 2003 premium. He ran new wiring from the HU to the speakers so no splicing or anything. I just dont which route would be better to go.
someone correct me if im wrong, but isnt this the problem? i was under the impression that the front 6.5s were used only for bass. not having a crossover for them kills the sound quality. just fixed a stereo on an 05 sequoia with jbl, sounded like crap with pioneer deck and stock speakers with the amps bypassed. ended up replacing her speakers, since the fronts werent filtered right anymore. sounds MUCH better

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
hehe hope he DID added a crossover when he changed them...

·
15,664 Posts
Unless he went w/components in the front, he would have to disconnect the high pass to the tweeter (& tweeter) that are already there. But, OP said previous owner ran new wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help guys. But yea the old owner installed components with crossover for driver and tweeters. It looks like he did everything right thats why I dont know whats wrong. Thats why I want to just put it all back to stock.

Unless he went w/components in the front, he would have to disconnect the high pass to the tweeter (& tweeter) that are already there. But, OP said previous owner ran new wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may just go the stock route. I need to double check if the stock wiring is still there though..

Ah OK
OEM unit has OK sound with some decent bass, very loud middle area and somewhat non existent highs. Radio sound quality is very good maybe better than CD. this is the plus.
For really better sound that worth it without adding extra amps etc, you have to choose a really good unit.
Keep low units in place.
I also noticed difference in highs changing to super extra expensive clarion tweeters only when starting to get the volume high (where is MUCH difference)...
Hope that helps...

·
15,664 Posts
I'd troubleshoot what you have first.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The JBL's have great sound, but tend to blow if you really blast them
They do sound great for what it is. 3 way set up in the fronts are rare for a car in this class.

They can sound even better with a better source unit to feed a better signal to the amp.

as far as blowing out spkrs, they can be repaired. 90% of the time its just the foam surround rotting off.

·
15,664 Posts

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
The JBL's have great sound, but tend to blow if you really blast them
nooooo kidding :wiggle: man that pissed me off when it happened lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts