NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just brought a orange one home pretty impressive! lots of torque, and torque sensing limited slip differential rated at 170hp and 160tq, but are supposed to put down 155hp and 150 tq to the wheels. but im wondering if anybody knows about the engine, is it even built for boost? it has 9 to 1 compression, and runs 7psi, i hope its not just a stock mp3 motor with a garret t25 ball bearing on it. anybody know anything about this car? thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
i believe it is just a MP3 motor with a turbo on it, and if i remember it is at its full potential.. but thats just what i've hard.. i know there are some forums out there check them out

·
Banned
751 Posts
Last i remember hearing it was the MP3 engine with low boost...dont know about the internals thou. I tool a chance and asked the dealers here. Just out of curiosity...well, they are clueless as usual.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
CelicaLicious said:
i believe it is just a MP3 motor with a turbo on it, and if i remember it is at its full potential.. but thats just what i've hard.. i know there are some forums out there check them out
If people are able to boost a daily driven 10-12 psi on the 1zz and B18C with 10.0:1 compression ratio and toothpick connecting rods, I'm sure there's still some potential left in this Protege's engine, especially with their slightly lower 9.1:1 compression ratio.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
It is a built motor for the turbo not just a regular motor with a turbo thrown on. I checked them out and there was a LOT of stuff done to this to make it worthy.. The dealership I was talking to (the guy in particular had like 20 years of racing Mazdas and working onthem) had to be very knowledgable about them in order to be a mazdaspeed dealership. They told me there shouldn't be any prob with upping the boost a bit on it and they were expecting most customers do actually do that. Pretty cool company from what I have seen so far.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
From everything I've read in various mags, there was absolutely no engine work done on the car at all....it's at it's limit and also that the transmission couldn't handle much more power either.

F22-Raptor, I don't trust what dealers tell me no matter how knowledgeable they claim to be....until I have first hand info from someone who bought it I'll go by what I've read in 3 different magazines.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
WillyK said:
From everything I've read in various mags, there was absolutely no engine work done on the car at all....it's at it's limit and also that the transmission couldn't handle much more power either.
That doesn't mean it's at it's limit. There are plenty of Honda B16 and B18 engines with no engine work done that can go from completely n/a to 10+psi with no problems. No reason why the boost can't be upped on this Protege a few pounds from its low stock setting without problems, either. Why are people here so quick to convince themselves that this car is absolutely at its performance limit?

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Keyshawn said:
Why are people here so quick to convince themselves that this car is absolutely at its performance limit?
Because from what I've read they actually say in there that the internals cannot handle anymore power.

If he goes the route of upping the boost and it works out then that is great, I'd trust that first hand knowlege over what I read in a car magazine and definately over a dealership lackey anyday....but people are still going to tell you what they've heard and read in magazines.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
WillyK said:

Because from what I've read they actually say in there that the internals cannot handle anymore power.
I'd be interested in reading those articles. Which mags say this? What issue number and month? Thanks, man.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Keyshawn said:

I'd be interested in reading those articles. Which mags say this? What issue number and month? Thanks, man.
I'll see if I can find them, it's been noted in two different SCC's which I should still have and I believe the other may have been a Road & Track but I'm not for sure.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
WillyK said:

I'll see if I can find them, it's been noted in two different SCC's which I should still have and I believe the other may have been a Road & Track but I'm not for sure.
Thanks, man. That would be great. If you can find those mags, and they have some good evidence why the Protege is at its limit, I just MIGHT concede that I'm wrong on this one. Maybe;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I read somewhere that the actual setup for the turbo was easy because in Europe they have a turbodiesel protege and they just used the same setup but just fuel injected....I think?

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Not quite what I was looking for but does mention the transmission's apparent weakness....

"Despite a 2.0-liter turbo, the Mazdaspeed Proteg

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Upon reading the article further, they actually recommend a boost controller to up the boost but to be careful of the transmission only. I know I read in their magazine a long time ago about the engine internals not being able to handle anymore boost....perhaps it was in their Rumors and Lies section. I'm going to see if I can find the issue when I get home.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
WillyK said:
Upon reading the article further, they actually recommend a boost controller to up the boost but to be careful of the transmission only. I know I read in their magazine a long time ago about the engine internals not being able to handle anymore boost....perhaps it was in their Rumors and Lies section. I'm going to see if I can find the issue when I get home.
i read that same article, but i doubted that a company would not make the engine stronger than the NA model.. but who knows..

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
WillyK said:
Thanks for the info. If you find those other articles, please keep me updated.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
CelicaLicious said:

i read that same article, but i doubted that a company would not make the engine stronger than the NA model.. but who knows..
Well it says in the article that the longblock is exactly the same as the NA model which is one of the reasons they could make the car so cheap.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
CelicaLicious said:

Every article I have read about this car states that all they did was slap a turbo on the original mp3 motor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts