NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the link with me pitted against my buddy's red 05 Cobalt SS s/c the first time.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219800

There was good news & bad news about the handfull of runs tonight. The good news about the runs I did with him was that my 3rd gear syncros was fixed with a whole new tranny, and it didn't grind at all going into 3rd gear. The bad news...is that he just upgraded onto the Stage 2 S/C this week! :faint: He really wanted to test out his stage 2, he was so psyched!

Again, the best run I did with him was from a dig since his wheel hop is off the chain & that his tires were really warn out as well. With the setup he's running, he's expecting to dyno at around 240+ hp at least, and will be looking for more. Each run, he had me about 2 or 3 car lengths at least by his 3rd gear. One roll was from 30 mph, another was from 40 mph to suite his powerband. Some runs I didn't get slaughtered as quick, but I got slaughtered nonetheless in all of them.

Of course Toyota gave me back my car's steering wheel 15 or so degrees misaligned after giving me a new tranny, so I didn't want go beyond my 3rd gear & onto lift against the beast at high speeds. I'm about to go yell at Toyota for fixing something under warranty, & then saying it'll take $100 to fix something they screwed up & that's not under warranty :furious:.

His stage 2 s/c was great though! I went around in his passenger seat & we did a couple runs with an evo. We were only 1 car length behind the evo while I was in the passenger seat after the couple pulls. The guy in the evo complimented my friend on his stage 2 s/c speed, and then immediatly turned around to take on a wrx sti we passed. :laugh: Another black Stage 2 s/c Cobalt was modded like crazy back at this meet we were at an hour before. He had methanol (or something with an M) cooling for his s/c, and said he dyno'd in at 260 hp or so. That guy said he's basically the Cobalt guinie pig, since he's running all these different pulley's, plugs, boost, & tuning everything by himself. Once he gets his 3" exhaust, he'll be looking onto more gains. I even saw the guy do short spurts of acceleration tonight on the way home, his car was really quick & responsive to whatever he did!

These Cobalts are getting quicker & quicker, so watch out.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
The reality is, the Celica is now 7 years old and there are much better cars out now. The Cobalt, whether anyone likes it, is one of them.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
The reality is, the Celica is now 7 years old and there are much better cars out now. The Cobalt, whether anyone likes it, is one of them.
Yah

·
Registered
398 Posts
those new cobalt SS are pretty fast, I got killed by one in my accord and it was auto and car has four people and I'm the only one in my car :( Also the driver was a girl

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:

yah F/I cars can get fast I hear.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
2kSilverBullet said:
those new cobalt SS are pretty fast, I got killed by one in my accord and it was auto and car has four people and I'm the only one in my car :( Also the driver was a girl
He was auto? I believe the SS is only available in manual.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Well, they possibly have a lot of potential but I still beat the only one I have raced on a highway race ;)

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
00gtsGETemHIGH said:
your punching a brand new trannY?
I had to test it at some point, I only hit lift once every 2 weeks anyway. I didn't get this economy vehicle for nothing :D I'll be commuting to college soon.

NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
He was auto? I believe the SS is only available in manual.
You're right, that's what at least www.edmunds.com/search on a Cobalt SS says...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i dont now, i test drove a brand new 06 cobalt ss, and the performance didnt really excite all that much. the brakes and steering on that car are horrible. I would never buy one.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
yes cobalts are pretty fast.... but on the stock superhcarger with boltons it wont really get past 260-270 fwhp... theres one here in southflorida with 262hp... maxed out boost. w/m injection and pretty much all boltons. im not an expert on these cars but the guy felt pretty confident that 270 is as good as it gets for the cobalt... unless u cam it and start porting stuff stang alone it or juice it.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
hondafighterGTS said:
yes cobalts are pretty fast.... but on the stock superhcarger with boltons it wont really get past 260-270 fwhp... theres one here in southflorida with 262hp... maxed out boost. w/m injection and pretty much all boltons. im not an expert on these cars but the guy felt pretty confident that 270 is as good as it gets for the cobalt... unless u cam it and start porting stuff stang alone it or juice it.
And thats bad how??:chuckles:

They dyno 200 WHP, then a few bolt on's later they dyno 270 WHP?

I wouldnt call 70 WHP "only".

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just get the Greddy Supercharger kit for your GT-S (which I am thoroughly satisfied with) and call it a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts