NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people with the PFC pushing their car to a modest 8600RPM, but has anyone attempted to run up to 9500RPM or break the 10k mark? Obviously not on stock internals, but with valves/springs, cams, rods, etc? Whos runs the highest RPMs here?

I'd really like to see a dyno if anyone is running high RPM like that :D

I raise this question because I'd like to stay all motor. While I dont completely have the budget to pull a stunt like this, if I am able to get the money I'd be willing to try and run the engine hard like that if no one else has, and I'd keep you guys posted on my progress :thumbup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
mwr went to 9k on the stock motor constantly, i believe littlerocketspider did too(i think he have upgraded valve train).

·
Registered
903 Posts
your oil pump a$$plode! (@ anything much over 9k RPM)

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
on an N/A motor you wont make power. but if boosted the engine can breath better

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
btagoc said:
your oil pump a$$plode! (@ anything much over 9k RPM)
So they say. A few people have gone over 9k with no oil pump problems. I think the oil pump gears break when they have a shock load applied to them, say from a missedshift. With a loaded engine revving past 9k the force would be much more gradual. Just my $.02 Im still surprised the valve springs are up to it tho, I would atleast upgrade those just to be safe.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You wouldn't make any power.

2ZZ makes peak power between 5500-8500 RPM, so why bother?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Ryude said:

Because they want to put excessive wear on the engine and make it sound cool in the process.

·
Registered
634 Posts
greenstreak said:
But that isn't necessarily where the power will be made after you do cams, higher compression, light weight components, etc. And that is what the original poster is asking I believe.
Well, most aftermarket internals are going to move your power band lower, not higher.

4-1 headers will make your powerband peaky at around 7500-8000 RPM. Stage 3 Cams will broaden it a tad, but still about 7000-8000 RPM.

It's meant for pure racing, which no one does in a celica. Face it, you drive the car in places other than at the track.

It'd be more sensible to raise the torque and broaden the powerband to 2000-8000 RPM, while your peak power will be lower you will have a flatter curve making daily driving alot better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ryude said:

Its worht asking. Stock internals I know drop off right after 7800RPM, but if you change the whole cam profile and map and tune with a PFC...could you maybe make that engine peak at 9500? HP=tq*RPM/5252...the more you can get for RPMs the more power you'll make, as long as you can keep the torque there. Thats why 10k is appealing to me.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
jst07 said:
Its worht asking. Stock internals I know drop off right after 7800RPM, but if you change the whole cam profile and map and tune with a PFC...could you maybe make that engine peak at 9500? HP=tq*RPM/5252...the more you can get for RPMs the more power you'll make, as long as you can keep the torque there. Thats why 10k is appealing to me.
Cam would get you that power up there, but I don't think any company will make one for that high rpm profile, since it costs alot to make them and there isn't much demand...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
^^
Its possible but our cars with the current parts that are out there still run out of breath up top. But a 75mm throttle body and matching intake is suppose to be in the works.
*late post*

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I realize this isnt a popular thing to do, and I guess it just matters of how deep someones pocket it to do it, cause it will take a fair amount of custom work, but I think it woudl be damn sweet to see a n/a celica that turns 250+HP at 9500RPM

·
Registered
815 Posts
^^ I agree, and if you wait long enough you will see me do that. The power band will be where you want it to be, it is just a matter of the right parts and tuning. A good port job, bigger TB, high comp. pistons, and stage 3 cams should let you get more power up top, add a trd header and a kazuma, and be ready to rev higher. :eatpop:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had my PFC set to 9300 for a while, but rarely let it go that high. This engine has the MRW valves and springs and a P&P by Little Rocket. I lowered it back down to 8600 just to be safe. It seemed to make about the same power above 8600, but I have a stock cat (MR2 Spyder) and that may be choking it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Really I see no use of revving higher than 8000, unless you like straining the engine and shortening the lifespan drastically.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts