NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is worth the $260?
If you don't get it from toyota does it void your warenttee?
If you tell them you got it from your mechanic, does it void warentee?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Awesome that answers my question, I want to put a CAI in my GT and the deciding factor would be if it voided my warranty which apparently it doesnt..NICE!!!!

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
8 Posts
in my opinion the 15k is worth the money when you consider all the work that is getting done. then again i work at a dealership so i may be partial. also not doing the 15k won't void your warranty. its just a good idea from a maintanence stand point.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Usally it's like rotating the tires, changing the oil and the filter, and the rest is inspection. 30K is like this, why pay the money for inspection? Seems like bull to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depends on what they intend on doing. 15K is not worth it, although at 30K it might be worth it.
Drain and refill or brakes, oil, coolant, etc at 30K but at 15K I think they just look at it and charge you for it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
toymechanic said:
in my opinion the 15k is worth the money when you consider all the work that is getting done. then again i work at a dealership so i may be partial. also not doing the 15k won't void your warranty. its just a good idea from a maintanence stand point.
OK, just exactly what is done on a 15k service?
It seems to me that is mainly consist of oil and filter changes and some quick inspection of the CV joint boots etc. It appears to be a blatent rip-off to me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
well assuming that the 15k at the dealership you go to is the same as mine,(i think it is because the price is similar), it includes oil change, tire rotate, brake service, trans service, tune up, thottle body service, battery sevice, replace PCV valve, and a four wheel alignment. plus all the inspections you mentioned. ask the dealer to be sure though, because i know some are different.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
What would they do to the throttle body? Brake Service do they check to make sure you have enough fluid?? No need to replace PCV valve or a 4 wheel alignment unless you are out. The manual states tire rotation oil and filter change air filter change and the rest are inspections..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
toy which dealership you go to. i have three in the area that i can go to. i mostly go to caldwell because it is right down the block. sometimes i go to jersey city because they send me stuff in the mail for good deals. the other is bob casuli on 46, that is a total rip off

·
Registered
8 Posts
i work at andrew toyota in milwaukee. to answer raptors questions a throttle body service is removing the intake tube from the throttle body and cleaning the throttle plate. a brake service means taking the front pads off, cleaning them, sanding them a little to make a better mating surface, and lubing the caliper slides. if you have rear disc then its the same in the rear, but if you have rear drums then the shoes and drums are sanded and the parking brake is adjusted. the PCV valve is replaced as preventative maintanence because they do get plugged after a little while. and there's no way to know if your alignment specs are out unless you set it up on the machine and do an alignment. i've had plenty of cars that drove straight but had some alignment angles off. adjusting them keeps it from getting any worse and can also save your tires.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Ok now that you explained it, it makes more sense. However these things don't have to be done but they are a nice preventive maintenance items. However I don't think I would pay 300$ for it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hmm, in my service manual that came with my car the 15k service point is not any different than a regular 5k service point - oil change and tire rotation.

According to my service book the first big service point is 30k...

Strange.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for letting us know Toymechanic.
Yeah if you have the money and want to have it done then more power to you.
Personally I wouldnt spend money on that service. Cleaning the throttle body, sanding down the brakes, adjusting this and that. Its just money and time wasted.

Its similar to a computer place I used to work at that would charge customers $75.00-100.00 for computer cleaning, wipe down monitor, air clean and wipe down keyboard, clean out dust in case, clean floppy, etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah, i mean if you don't want to spend that much then its really no big deal, but if you do have the money its actually cheaper to do it as a package. some stuff you really should do, like the transmission service. the brakes are a good idea too, at least the rears if you have drums, because if they get way out of adjustment it'll eat up your front pads alot faster. other than that the rest of it's just a good idea, but really not a matter of life or death. i hope i helped out a little bit :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts