NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,im getting new rims and tires , but i need your help before i buy. im thinking about 18s for a celica. if i get 18s im worried that its so little tire that my rims are about a inch from the road , that if i run into bumps or pot holes that my rims will crack..... has anyone here had that problem before? if i hit those road bumps or pot holes will my rim crack or will i just get a flat. if its a flat its ok . because i can just replace my tires . its my rims that i dont want to have to buy another set if they crack . what are your expeirences with 18"s.?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
hmm..interesting i ride on 205/40 and have hit several holes on the road and damn turnpike...i dunno if my rim is bent but i've never experienced anything weird outside of balancing or alignment issues...but uh, like coolio just said above going with a thicker profile if you ridin' on the eights'

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got 215/35/18 tires and damn they look like the rims are on the road....... how long does these thin tires last???

·
Registered
194 Posts
Of course you're not going to be bouncing over railroad tracks like you did with the stocks. If you're getting sweet rims you will learn to ride them right. The tire wear depends on tread wear rating.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool. i will try to avoid bumps of course.....good luck to everyone and their wheels + rims .....have fun pimping your ride ...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have 18 OZ wheel with 215/35/18 tires and I have no problem.
It really depends on the quality of wheel.

·
Registered
920 Posts
if you keep the radius the same it shouldnt slow you down any right? like running 225/35/18 or 215/35/18 and just keep the rim weight really close within 1 or 2lbs of stock rim and tire weight.
Wrong. Going from 16-18" will slow you down even if you keep the same radius and weight. An extra pound on each wheel does not increase the weight by 4 pounds.. it increases exponentially. I do not know the technical specifics.. but you might want to do a
. It's been discussed many many times :) Remember, even if the wheel is the same weight as stock, the tire will undoubtedly be heavier.. and all that weight is focused at the outside of the rim... It's a matter of physics.

·
Registered
213 Posts
215/40ZR/17 or 215/45ZR/17 all da way

·
Registered
687 Posts
215 is not the thickness of the tire when looking at the car from the side. its the width of the tire. I have 215/35/19 and I drive over a lot of crap on the messed up roads of CA and I havent damaged my rim, just be careful and not to hit potholes at high speeds or avoid them as much as possible

I suggest getting 225 next time, it will protect your rims better.

I got a flat on my 215 series tire and it still did not damage my rim when I was driving on 10 psi. So as long as u have decent tires and rims it should be fine.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmmm...interesting no damage at all with 215/35/18 tires ? thats the size i got as well. it just looks sooo thin on the bottom of the tires, im sure you all know what i mean . when i drive on the side of the road i keep thinking that i might hit a manhole or bump and bend my rims. it scary......also whats the difference between 215/40/18 and 215/35/18? is one much thicker?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i have 215/35/18s too... never really had a problem cept for one day driving down to VA. bent 2 rims on the way down :(

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
hitting a pothole with a rim can have different consequences
it's not only the rim size or the tire sidewall thickeness that counts
what style rim u have and where the impact on the rim occurred will also have an impact

rims with very few thin branches with a lip will be more susceptible that rims that have many bracnhes, which absorb and distribute the impact better

if u got a 5-spoke and hit a pot hole between spokes, u porb have a higher risk of gettin a dented rim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.