NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyones tried using one of these, and what there experiances were. I'm looking to put in one for the summer, so that I can hopefully get a little better and more concistant performance at the track. I'd also be interested if anyone has a write up on how to install one. Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i want some more info on that as well. it would be the next thing after I install my TRD oil cooler. I think that Tom's makes one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was able to get one from Checker (I think TRD has them as well, but probably for more then they are worth), and am ready to install it, but it looks like a tuff install, as you have to drain the entire system, and then remove the alternator to get to it. Another thing I might try as well is to hook up a switch that turns on the cooling fan even if the car is off, so that I can cool the car down more between races.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i have been pondering this for a while also, its one of those old school racer tricks that seems to give good results.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was told from the mechanics at the dealership that out cars are allways running regardless after the car warms up.
They said there would be no reason to install a new thermostat, that it would do little to nothing, but I also asked them about the fan idea and they said that would work wonders. :)
Thinking of doing it my self.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Maybe it is better cools down gradually by itself? The fan shuts down at a certain temperature for a reason I guess.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fan shuts off when the car is off regardless of what temperature it's at. Turning it on for a while after the car is off would help a lot to get it cooled down faster.

Even if the thermostat were always on once the car warms up, it would help if it would open up at a lower temperature, especially if the fan were switched on. It my not be a easy on the engine as if you just left it a lone, but I wouldn't think it would be any harder on it then winter driving is.

Dimitri: Were did you get your TRD oil cooler from, and how much was it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
spaldam i got it from titanmotorsports for about 350 USD if I remember right. I think it was his last piece.email bottle.
westcovina also sells it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am also interested in a fan switch, if you get any information on how this can be done reliably count me in.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
it wold not be hard to make a switch for the fans.

In fact You could do it in 10-15mins if you had all the tools and a switch.
I would only put your Second fan "the one that turns on and off on its own" on a switch and let the other do its thing.
That way you could keep both fans going while racing and only use one fan when the car is off. Save your Batt for when you need it. :)

I might do this, this weekend.
I'll tell you all how it goes.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
$350 for a thermostat, um call me stupid but if that is what you are saying then no thanks that is ridiculous, and to be honest with you guys its not going to help really at all, I have done this in many cars and despite what a lot may think is an increase in performance that is B.S!!!! You can put one in as it does help with engine longevity a cooler running motor is a longer lasting motor but as far a performance increase you are wasting your money!!!! However the fan idea is pretty good but as far as that goes, if my memory serves me correctly the Celica has two fans, as most cars today do, one that operates all the time and then the other that comes one when it reaches a certain temp. all you have to do is wire it to where the secondary fan comes on all the time which should NOT take a lot of time nore a lot of money to do!!!!!!

J

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the 350 he's talking about was for the oil cooler, that I asked him about.

As for the switch I was going to just use a relay, so the fan would work normally when the switch isn't on, and then when you flip the switch the relay would basically switch if from it's normal power to batter power. This should be very reliable, as they fan will work normally when the switch is off. You should be able to get the relay, and wires and other such from a local auto parts store (though I've had problems finding 5 prong switching relays locally and usually order them from Cruchfield.com). I'd suspect the entire mod would cost you around $20.

·
Registered
808 Posts
On track days and at autocrosses, you can shut off the engine between runs then turn the ignition key to the "on" position to activate both fans. Then the fans will run untill the engine is cool. It takes about 10-15 minutes for the fans to stop running so the battery won't be run down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts