NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DOИ'T bE BEETCH!
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that twin turbo 5spd 91-95 Soarers can be bought at around 5k and shipped for around 2k from Japan... I'm drooling over those cars....:eek:
What are your thoughts on these? Lexus SC300 is too damn expensive here

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Good luck trying to get one over here legally.

I dont see how SCs here are dramatically more expensive here. Hell, 30 seconds on craigslist give me 5 SCs for under $7k(which you claim would be the cost of a Soarer).

Here is what you do.

Buy a SC with a sh!t-ton of miles.
Rip out the engine
Throw in a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE.
Have fun.

·
Registered
867 Posts
lmao he ****ed up that SC

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Lawd have mercy! Don't people realize that looks ridiculous?

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Good luck trying to get one over here legally.

I dont see how SCs here are dramatically more expensive here. Hell, 30 seconds on craigslist give me 5 SCs for under $7k(which you claim would be the cost of a Soarer).

Here is what you do.

Buy a SC with a sh!t-ton of miles.
Rip out the engine
Throw in a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE.
Have fun.
if the motor is good, you can just turbocharge the 2jz-ge. Sure, its only good for 500 instead of 700 whp on the stock block, but I'd assume he can live with that.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
if the motor is good, you can just turbocharge the 2jz-ge. Sure, its only good for 500 instead of 700 whp on the stock block, but I'd assume he can live with that.
True. But there is always a risk when turbocharging a higher mileage engine. I guess instead of throwing money into a new engine, he could just freshen up the stock GE. There is virtually no power ceiling difference between the GE & GTE when fully built.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Don't the turbo guys use the N/A cams, or was that only for the 7M-GTE?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Not from what I have heard of.

Usually if the MKIV guys are going to replace cams its going to be a set of HKS 264/264(most popular), but Titan released a new set of cams showing significant gains over the HKS set.

Anywho, The NA 2JZ head does flow better than the turbo head.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'd take the v8.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
There are a ton of Soarers over here real cheap too. The V8 Lexus version has pretty good interior for an older car, full leather, tv screen, air suspension and other good stuff.
Looks pretty good and the v8 sounds awesome with an exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
45,742 Posts
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0n4lqyEeBjA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Rocky Mountain Street SC Fights For Nines

-more in issue #145 of DSPORT Magazine

For those living at or near sea level, it’s much easier to breathe and make horsepower than it would be for someone at a mile above sea level. The thin air and reduced oxygen density really makes it tough, just ask the DSPORT staff who recently returned from the IDRC Street Tuner Mayhem event in Morrison, Colorado. The challenging environment is the reason athletes train at higher elevations, to better condition themselves for competition at lower elevations.

Like competitors in training, tuners in Colorado face the additional challenge of not only producing more horsepower, but also delivering quick passes down the drag strip as well. Given the challenges faced by competitors at a mile high, it’s no wonder that we especially admire the machines making passes in the single digits.

Almost a JZA80
Brett Miller has had an eye on the Supra since he started to drive. His first car was a 1990 MA70 Toyota Supra. While not quite a JZA80 Mark IV Supra, it wasn’t bad for a first car. However, Miller soon grew tired of replacing blown head gaskets and considered a 2JZ-GTE swap. But his old Supra’s styling felt dated, and he really wanted to upgrade to a JZA80. Unfortunately, the price of a Mark IV Supra was driven well beyond Blue Book value due in part to the popularity and notoriety gained from The Fast and The Furious. So he looked at a subtle and luxurious alternative, a Lexus SC 300. Miller sold the MA70 and purchased this 1993 SC 300 during his senior year of high school, kicking off a project that would span over eleven years.

·
Super Moderator
45,742 Posts
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ly_63qz_PSg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Only in the 90s would designers use water balloons as an inspiration for a car. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts