NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
any reason why I see only Hydra here as a real standalone used in our cars?
No MS3, no VEMS, no Motec, no AEM w/o oem ecu: is there a specific reason for this?
For example, some CAN errors or it's just for the difficult of driving the AUTO trans?
Thx

·
^^ I'm with stupid ^^
870 Posts
Hydra is awesome. IMO it's about the best and most functional EMS that will also act like an ECU that you can buy for our platforms. When I have mine in it acts just like an ECU due to the LTFT and STFT being unlocked. Down side for them though is that they are very expensive.

AEM makes the EMS4 and I believe (don't quote me) MWR has harnesses that will work for your car even though it's an Auto.

I personally would stay away from the PFC because it doesn't have knock control and there's better platforms out there.

Unless you have a piggyback you are going to have some issues with codes with your tranny. it's the nature of the beast. DDPR was working on a trans controller but I have no idea how far they got. BOOST 2.0 or one of the other employees may be able to talk further on it.

Bottom line is that even though you have a standalone your ecu is going to be in the background to controls some things like cruise control, AC, emissions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
knock control isnt SUPER crucial in low boost 2zzge applications as long as the map is tuned safely and the tuner knows who he is doing. i run the powerfc on my 300bhp 2zz

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
knock control isnt SUPER crucial in low boost 2zzge applications as long as the map is tuned safely and the tuner knows who he is doing. i run the powerfc on my 300bhp 2zz
I disagree.

Hydra is the most developed standalone for our application. We do have plans to start working with the Infinity on the ZZ motors, and if you have the budget you can go with Pro EFI as well, but Hydra is a pretty great value when you look at features and performance versus cost.

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
I disagree.

Hydra is the most developed standalone for our application. We do have plans to start working with the Infinity on the ZZ motors, and if you have the budget you can go with Pro EFI as well, but Hydra is a pretty great value when you look at features and performance versus cost.
I agree with you. Hydra has been around for a while. It's super unfortunate that they no longer make them for the GT-S, based on their website. I was looking at getting either that or the PFC for mine.

I know there is a guy selling one on here though he is located in Hawaii. Still, for the price he's offering I might just buy it if nobody else jumps on it.

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
Huh, was not aware of that. In that case I'll have to contact him about it. DDPR's site doesn't have any currently available, for Celicas at least. Thanks!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Huh, was not aware of that. In that case I'll have to contact him about it. DDPR's site doesn't have any currently available, for Celicas at least. Thanks!
Our website sucks. Working on that.

But yes - we are now the exclusive distributor for the Hydra for 1ZZ, 2ZZ and 2GR platforms.

They are most certainly available for all 7th Gen Celicas as well as Corollas, MR2 SPyder, Matrix, etc. We have also put them in Alltracs, 1st and 2nd gen MR2s, Supras, earlier model Corollas, etc.

Just drop us an e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apexi powerfc is a standalone..
Wrong.
PFC is NOT a REAL standalone that will let you add sensors/valves/features and modify ALL the engine functions.

The 2zzge vvtli system is complex and not many companies wanted to cater for it.
Wrong.
ALL the ecus I quoted, and many many other, can EASILY deal with dual valve timing control and lift... Megasquirt included!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Toyoboy -

There are 2 reasons:

1 - The engine based ecu box and the changed in knock sensor and DBW throttle control make producing a plug and play harness for the Celica a real pain in the butt. Since no-one besides Apexi has been able to talk Denso into selling them the Toyota BEAN interface chip to be able to run the AC and gauges, everyone else has to use parallel installations which means 2 ecus and a patch harness. That is a lot of hassle - and no other EMS companies have bothered.

2 - The 2ZZ market is a small market and most people don't want to reinvent the wheel. The Hydra works very well and is reasonably priced given its capabilities. As such there hasn't really been much cause to go developing other applications.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a bunch of other ECU types in use outside the US. I've been using Link and ViPEC ECU's on ZZ's for the last 8 years or so, others over here use motec in motorsport applications, another friend has recently released a ZZ plugin ECU that uses the Adaptronic top-board but also offers DBW, CAN and custom inputs/outputs. Simply Sports Cars's plugin's for the ZZ lotus cars are adaptronic based also.

Link have their own BEAN network chip but have only used it on their Altezza plugin's, no real demand for the ZZ stuff.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Wrong.
PFC is NOT a REAL standalone that will let you add sensors/valves/features and modify ALL the engine functions.
Sure it is and yes you can add sensors to it, Apexi even makes a boost control kit for it. I don't even understand the rest of your statement. Adding valves? Features? Modifying ALL the engine functions? :wtf2:

While the PFC may not do everything you think it should it's still a true standalone. Yes it has been overtaken by some of the newer options out there but without it Celica owners would most likely not have any options at all if Apexi didn't bother to be first.

As far as the Adaptronic stuff goes, correct me if I'm wrong but how's that going to help Celica owners??? It's not like those reflashable Lotus ecus were ever swappable and if you guys think anyone else is going to do anything.... well I won't hold my breath. :waiting:

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Syvecs S6 seems to have harness made for 2ZZ both 7th gen Celica and 9th gen Corolla.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure it is and yes you can add sensors to it, Apexi even makes a boost control kit for it. I don't even understand the rest of your statement. Adding valves? Features? Modifying ALL the engine functions? :wtf2:

While the PFC may not do everything you think it should it's still a true standalone.

Can you change injection timing on PFC? NO
Can you make 3D maps based, for example, on Gear VS Boost on PFC? NO
Can you add a 2nd rev limiter feature on a PFC? NO
Can you drive a different idle valve on PFC? NO
Can you add a 2nd map button AND a 2nd map on PFC? NO
Can you limit boost based on Water temp or whatever on PFC? NO
Can you directly drive the fans relay and map the feature on PFC? NO
Can you add an egt and make a 3D map based on it on PFC? NO
Can you make a knob based map to change traction control on PFC? NO

Just FEW examples over hundreds.

PFC is NOT a true standalone.

·
Registered
21 Posts

While the PFC may not do everything you think it should it's still a true standalone. Yes it has been overtaken by some of the newer options out there but without it Celica owners would most likely not have any options at all if Apexi didn't bother to be first.

As far as the Adaptronic stuff goes, correct me if I'm wrong but how's that going to help Celica owners??? It's not like those reflashable Lotus ecus were ever swappable and if you guys think anyone else is going to do anything.... well I won't hold my breath. :waiting:
No need to hold your breath... Adaptronic-based ZZ plugin designed to fit in both the wide and narrow 2zz ECU cases:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts