NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am a McNublet when it comes to FI, so thats a start. Anything that isn't common knowledge, i probably do not know since i have never experimented with this field.

I looked over the S/C faq, and it looks like the Rotrex is the only S/C that will work with the 1zz. I am sure there are more out there, or i would hope so, but that is all i saw in the S/C faq. I believe the S/C setup would be quite a bit cheaper than a Turbo set up, and i hear they are easier on the engine as well.

I guess my questions would be, now that i have just got the 02 GT car what would be the best way to go to add the extra HP? I seriously don't know what set-up will get me what kind of gains, or what kind of set ups there are.

So, are there any other ways to go for s/c the 1zz?
What all would i need to get a S/C kit going, if i am running off of all stock internal parts.
Obviously it would not be worth having a s/c if the gains are not that great. I saw that there is a built engine that puts down 300hp, but since mine is not built, what will i be looking at whp wise?
Would i be better off looking at a turbo over a s/c?
What would be some good advice?

I am not even close to 100% on going FI, but i know i will not make a decision unless 1 of 2 things happen:

1) I find a really good deal on a kit.
2) I am more knowledgeable about all of the ins and outs of having FI.

·
you dun goofed
2,164 Posts
TRD has a supercharger out for the 1zz. However, you will need to get a different hood as the stock one won't clear it. Either that, or run around with a hole in your hood and a big ol' TRD supercharger sticking out of it. :chuckles:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that does me no good. That rotrex one seems nice since it has a BOV, but i would prolly be looking to spend about the same amount for that as i would a turbo set up right? I see someone is selling all the Intercooler and piping used, and im seriously debating buying it looking into this now...

·
O_o
7,222 Posts
Rotex is going to be a 100% custom job, your going to have to have everything fabricated for you. As far as I know the only person actually running one is the_J_factor and I think blitzceli (?) is starting his rotrex build.

In the end is going to cost around the same, if not more than an full turbo kit from MWR, Smaay or Turbo-kits.com

As far as power on a stock 1zz, you would really want to keep it under 250 to the wheels, the stock rods are weak and are usually the first to fail.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that really sucks, so there is like no way to get a s/c on my GT. I don't need over 250whp honestly, but lets say i get the piping, and i/c. I have a Greddy Profec. How hard will it be to pull of the rest after i buy the rotrex S/C? Or is there any other S/C that i could pick up and it be easier to work with and hook up with the piping? Would it be easier just to find a turbo to hook up to all the piping, and then go from there? And if you wouldn't mind breaking down the cost minus what i have said i have already i would appreciate it...

Sorry im such a Nub when it comes to this...it makes me sad too

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you're going custom, I recommend having a shop create the setup for you. A newbie trying to create a custom turbo or supercharger kit is asking for headaches.

The most common figure I see for turbocharging is 5-7k. SO if you dont have that kind of money,don't even attempt.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not that the money isn't there. It's that i cannot justify putting that much money into it. I can justify 2000...not 5000. Idk why i figured i could get a s/c for 2-3k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts