NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me out. right now i own a 2000 celica gt, what i would like to do is change it to a gt-s engine, 2zz. Now my question, is the only difference between the 1zz and the 2zz engine are the heads? or is it the Whole Block? and if it is just the head, do you guys think i would need the 6sp tranny to go with it? or can i just keep the gt tranny. thanks for your time.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
The head and block are both very different - you need to change out the entire engine assembly. You will also need a new ECU or power FC and you will need either a new engine harness or need to add some wires to the existing one. The GT tranny can be made to work if you have a power FC and can adjust the lift points and redline, otherwise you will probably have a very hard time staying in lift when you shift.

You will also need a new passenger side engine mount.

You will also need a new exhaust midpipe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for your help. i was just curious, cuz if it was just the head then i would do it right away. but ya sounds to much effort in the end. thanks a bunch.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
No way - its not too much effort at all, its WELL worth it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
also u need a new throttle cable that connects to the cruise control actuator. and a new belt cuz the AC compressor is further out. i'm actually doint the conversion rite now as we speak.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
throttle cables should be the same, just make the minor adjustments. as for accessory belt, you should get the 2ZZ belt, i dont know if they are the same

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Smaay said:
throttle cables should be the same, just make the minor adjustments. as for accessory belt, you should get the 2ZZ belt, i dont know if they are the same

throttle cable is different trust me i know i'm doin the engine conversion my self. different part numbers and i can give u the part # if u need it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
sorry for teh noob question but are Engine Swaps smog legal? Like if u have a GT and u swap out hte engine for a GT-S one would it pass the smog inspection in california?

Cause I always thougth that as long as the engine u were swapping to was newer than teh car it was going to be in, the cat(s) where in place, and it was an engine that was from a car that passed smogg(such as the 2zz is in a gts which does pass smog), then the engine swapped car would pass smogg as well... but i have people now telling me other wise and people saying its legal, do any of u guys know???
sorry just a little confused sorry didnt mean to jack the thread or anythin

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
yup - its legal as long as the engine is from a newer vehicle and passes smog and all the OBD2 monitors go complete and pass

·
Registered
903 Posts
every MRS owner should do this. badass swap

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Should be able to do the swap for about $3K - $3.5K with a Power FC too if you just buy a good condition used motor and mount

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Nope - turbo system you're looking at $5500 - $6K by the time all is said and done. Plus you can always turbo the 2ZZ and its a way better platform and if you leave it stock its way more reliable.

If you have a specific power goal in the 200-230 WHP range turbo may be your best bet though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts