·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Makes me wish I had a GT-S :(

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, lemme explain... I don't go to the track, but my friends and I do autocross... So, for me a GT is faster than a GT-S due to the available torque at all RPMs... In autocross I guess a GT-S could be faster, but that means you'd have to be in lift all the time which is crazy!! You have mad skills if you can stay in lift all the time without blowing up your engine or bending valves...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, but if I was someone who raced on the street or wanted a good 1/4 mile time, I would prefer the GT-S

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
fubarlphie said:
haha, lemme explain... I don't go to the track, but my friends and I do autocross... So, for me a GT is faster than a GT-S due to the available torque at all RPMs...
A while back, I once compared the dynos of a GT and a GT-S, paying special attention to the HP and Torque levels in the low-end and midrange. The disparity was quite small, ranging from 0-5 ft-lbs of torque and a few HP here and there. Not too much difference at all.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
fubarlphie said:
haha, lemme explain... I don't go to the track, but my friends and I do autocross... So, for me a GT is faster than a GT-S due to the available torque at all RPMs... In autocross I guess a GT-S could be faster, but that means you'd have to be in lift all the time which is crazy!! You have mad skills if you can stay in lift all the time without blowing up your engine or bending valves...
No a GT is not faster than a GT-S in autocross. Esp. when the GT-S comes with bigger and better tires.

The GT may do better in their respective class, but there's no way a GT is faster.

Autocross is about skills. Yes I guess maybe I do have mad skills to stay in lift all day, and for 50k miles, I still haven't bend a valve.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
fubarlphie said:
You have mad skills if you can stay in lift all the time without blowing up your engine or bending valves...
Staying in lift on an autocross isn't going to blow up your engine or bend valves. Lift doesn't do that sort of damage, people misshifting their cars do.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know staying in lift doesn't bend valves, but its hard to stay in lift while autocrossing without misshifting, right?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked the dynos. A GT has between 100 and 110 tq at every point between 2000 rpm and 6000 rpm.
A GT-S has between 95 and 105 tq at every point between 2000 rpm and 6000 rpm.
Autocross def. depends on the driver first and foremost. I'm just saying for the average driver, the 1zz is a better engine for autocross because of its wide torque band. For an average autocross driver staying between 2000 and 6000 rpm, the 1zz if a faster engine. However, if you are comparing a stock GT vs. a stock GT-S, the GT-S has better wheels and better brakes, but it is a little heavier. However, working with the same amount of money, I believe a GT is faster. With the price diff. between a GT and a GT-S you could upgrade your wheels/tires, and add GT-S brakes. Again, assuming the driver is average. If you can stay above 6000 at all times during your course, then the GT-S is faster. Honestly, I don't think the average person who autocrosses can do this.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Recap...

An Average driver...
GT vs. GT-S = debatable
An Average driver spending the same money on each car...
modded GT vs. GT-S = GT is faster

An Excellent driver...
GT-S is always faster.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just moved here. I just graduated from school, and I have a job here... I just got my celica in Dec. and I am dying to autocross it. I went autocrossing with my friends last summer. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!! I'm def. an average driver, but I'm going to racing school over the summer with my friends. There's some school in Northern Michigan. I think its 600 bucks for the weekend? I don't the details right now...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
fubarlphie said:
I just checked the dynos. A GT has between 100 and 110 tq at every point between 2000 rpm and 6000 rpm.
A GT-S has between 95 and 105 tq at every point between 2000 rpm and 6000 rpm.
Autocross def. depends on the driver first and foremost. I'm just saying for the average driver, the 1zz is a better engine for autocross because of its wide torque band.
Yeah, the torque differences are pretty minimal. Definitely depends on the driver first. Another thing to consider, though, is the slight braking advantage the GT-S has.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fubarlphie said:
For an average autocross driver staying between 2000 and 6000 rpm, the 1zz if a faster engine. However, if you are comparing a stock GT vs. a stock GT-S, the GT-S has better wheels and better brakes, but it is a little heavier.
Roger That

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've autocross my for the past 3 years and I love it, sometime I make a mistake or judge something wrong and then I drop below 6000 rpms (usually only on the first run to figure things out), but I'm always above 5000 rpms and it doesn't take very long to hit that magical 6000 mark and then I got a lot more hp then a gt. The average person may not be able to stay if lift all the time but they will spend a lot of time in lift with more hp. And once they get use to it all they will be spending almost all there time there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts