NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been seaching and found that some people have put a 3s-gte into there celicas and made big power. i have also found a bore kit for the 1zz motor that makes it a 2L. now my question is, would a 1zz engine bored out and built to handle big boost be the same as a 3s-gte or is there no comparison. also which would be cheaper and a better investment?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
You know 1ZZ is aluminum block right? Therefore it does not withstand heat that well. So on light vehicle this engine is ideal because its also light weight, thus giving you high performance with good fuel efficiency. 1ZZ will never get close to what a 3SGTE can do, if you want high HP car you picked the wrong car.
If you want this 7th gen styling with big HP doing a 3SGTE swap is the only way to achieve it. The cost is around $10,000+ which also includes a MR2 tranny, then to handle big power you have to do some upgrades to that engine. After all this mod you better have a real good friend who can fix any problem you might encounter, because these hybrid cars is not as reliable as original engine.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
1ZZ-FE may be able to be coaxed to output power similar to a non-stroked 3S-GTE, but it will never be as reliable. It would be cheaper to put a 3S in the car than to do what would be necessary to a 1ZZ to make it capable of power levels in excess of 600 whp. You would basically have to sleeve it, stroke it, put in a bore stiffener, O-ring it, get some super high dollar rods and pistons, ceramic coat everything, P&P the head, blueprint and ballance everything, build a custom high flow intake, get custom cams, and run an ENORMOUS turbo to even come close.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i worded my question wrong. im not really into drag racing ive done it a few times but got bored. probably because the nova i was racing didnt have enough balls to keep up with the big guys. but im looking into autox, road racing and auto shows. but i was just aksing about the engines to reach my goal of 350whp to 400whp. and knowing now that the 1zz is alluminum and the 3s-gte is too expensive for my budget. i think i will stick with what i got and turbo. thanx for the input

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Jonny Boom said:
i think i worded my question wrong. im not really into drag racing ive done it a few times but got bored. probably because the nova i was racing didnt have enough balls to keep up with the big guys. but im looking into autox, road racing and auto shows. but i was just aksing about the engines to reach my goal of 350whp to 400whp. and knowing now that the 1zz is alluminum and the 3s-gte is too expensive for my budget. i think i will stick with what i got and turbo. thanx for the input
turbo is definitely better, but I think you would prefer a lower HP level for autox - 350-400 in a fwd car is kind of hard to control - look into the SF turbo kit - it may fit your needs and price range

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
1) Can the 3S bolt to or be adapted to the Celica transaxle?
No

2) Can the motor bolt in or are special mounts and so forth needed?
Has to be all custom

3) What else besides the lumps needs to change?
custom axles, shift cables, bigger radiator, intercooler added, custom intake and exhaust manifolds for the 3S - new custom wiring harness - engine management, etc.

4) Roughly how much heavier is the 3S over the 1Z? Isn't the 1Z around 225 pounds?
A LOT - more than twice as heavy - transaxles that fit it are also heavier than the C60 and C59

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The parts you need to change depends on what kind of power range you're looking for. I can tell you that at our MR2-S's current power level the engine has been very reliable with just rods and pistons. Stock bores, stock head gasket, stock cams, stock crank, stock intake. It's been enough to get us in the top 10 quickest MR2's of any generation on their 1/4 mile page.

We're currently installing a new computer, injectors, and making some other changes to bump the power higher. Maybe those stock parts will be limitations, we'll see. So far, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has cracked a block, broken a crank, etc.

Oh, and you'll need the same size turbo to make a given power level with similar displacement engines.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
monkeywrench said:
The parts you need to change depends on what kind of power range you're looking for. I can tell you that at our MR2-S's current power level the engine has been very reliable with just rods and pistons. Stock bores, stock head gasket, stock cams, stock crank, stock intake. It's been enough to get us in the top 10 quickest MR2's of any generation on their 1/4 mile page.

We're currently installing a new computer, injectors, and making some other changes to bump the power higher. Maybe those stock parts will be limitations, we'll see. So far, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has cracked a block, broken a crank, etc.

Oh, and you'll need the same size turbo to make a given power level with similar displacement engines.

What kind of power levels are you running? EDIT--I saw your sig--very impressive.

With different engines, compression maps still need to be specifically mated to each engine to acheive similiar goals, since same displacement doesn't equal same air flow, velocity, efficiency, rpm range...

Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts