NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just finished up the 1zz rebuild for my 2000 celica gt. Runs great but started throwing code for nonoperational vvt. Tracked it down to a defective vvti gear from the rebuild kit I used. I replaced it with a genuine toyota gear, unlocked before install. The issue now is that it idles very poorly to the point of dying, just like if the vvt was engaged at idle. Runs just fine if the ocv is removed, but as soon as I push it back into the bore, the vvti reingages and the car idles rough/dies regardless of whether the ocv is plugged into the wiring harness or not. I tested the ocv and it seems to operate just fine. I haven't found anyone with a similar issue so I decided to post. Any ideas of where to look?
Thanks!
Lukas

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,335 Posts
Checked the chain timing? Might be off a tooth. It has to be unlocked to install. But, I believe it has to be locked when setting the timing chain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I've checked the timing. Checks out fine. the VVTI gear was locked during the timing procedure. Also, when the OCV is removed from its bore the engine idles just fine, suggesting that base timing is ok.
Thanks for the reply!

·
15,335 Posts
Hmmm... did you reset the ECU? You probably did.... but, I'm trying. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's been reset at least a couple times (Battery left off overnight). I've got a new OCV arriving tomorrow, I can't really think of anything else that could cause the issue. Sometimes the basic things are the most overlooked!

·
15,335 Posts
It is suspicious that it happens even if electrically disconnected. The OCV may be leaky. The 1ZZ does have a broad timing range. So, it may be possible to idle correctly w/o the OCV and then be out of range when the VVT is active if the timing is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's what I was thinking. New one arrives today, so I guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure enough, the OCV was at fault. The new one was slightly different compared to the old one in terms of the location of the oil ports. The old one was a genuine toyota I had just swapped in, but the new one was aftermarket, still seems to work with no issues. Thanks for your replies!

·
15,335 Posts
:D(y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. New one arrives today, so I guess we'll find out.
Runs just fine if the ocv is removed, but as soon as I push it back into the bore, the vvti reingages and the car idles rough/dies regardless of whether the ocv is plugged into the wiring harness or not. I tested the ocv and it seems to operate just fine. I haven't found anyone with a similar issue so I decided to post. Any ideas of where to look?
Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts