NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a fixed amount of money I can spend on an amp. The reason I want an amp is because after installing my new HU the fronts sound terrible wired in series (I have the GTS premium sound w/ 8 speakers). Now do you guys think I should get a nice 2 channel amp or a decent 4 channel amp?

With the 2 channel I'd prolly power the rears off my deck. I rarely have passengers in the back so I don't really care about the sound back there.

What's the advantage of getting a 4 channel amp?
Oh and anyone know if the front speakers are made of paper cone or they got some decent rubber reinforcements?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hmm, how exactly do your front speakers sound like crap? Do they distort or what? The speakers upfront are actually rather nice for stock speakers. The 6.5" is a paper weave composite thing.

If you want some good sound, start by upgrading your speakers. Aftermarket speakers will sound better than stock ones. Just find a nice 6.5" component set (6.5" mid-range and tweeter). See how your car sounds after that. If you have distortion problems with new speakers, then get an amp. But that's just my opinion.

If you are looking for an amp, a 2-channel will probably be the cheapest. If you are just going to power your fronts, go 2-channel. If you want the rears powered also, get a 4-channel.

Curt

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Curt, they sound like crap because the fronts aren't receiving as much power as the rears. I have it faded up pretty high towards the front, but that just makes it sound weaker since the rears are getting less wattage instead of putting out more power to the fronts. So i want to wire the fronts in parallel with an amp so I can drive all 6 speakers in front with enough power.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
don't get a very powerful amp. the front tweeters can't take it. they start sounding really ****ty. you get hisss in voices. they call it sibilance i think. its where the S's start hissing. if you want to run all the fronts off an amp i'd say get a real weak four-channel amp and run the 6's off 2 chans and the 4 and tweeter off the other channel using an active crossover. unless they have built in passive crossovers, i don't know about that. they may. they'd be more like "bass blockers" though. i think the tweeter just has a capacitor on it to block out low freqs.

your best bet really in my opinion is to but a 100 dollar little 2-ch pioneer amp and some components for the front. maybe 200 online for some real nice ones. and you'd have a great sounding system. if you have to have rears run em off the head unit. in any of your situations i wouldn't amp the rears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts