NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of a 20 valve 1.8 liter head off of an mr2? Mostly just in japan. This brakes down to 5 valves per cylinder....3 intake...2 exhaust. Apparently this head can push out some power and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it and if it could swap onto a 2zz block and if it would be bennaficial....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Every one knows of the 4AGE, but if your gonna go for a swap. Go for the 3SGTE. Oh Hell YEA!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
4A-GE Atlantis race motors max out around 220-240whp, with a 10k rpm redline.

I think if there's a experience tuner willing to max out the potential of the 2ZZ, it will suprass the power output of the 4A-GE

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Im sure the 2ZZ can over power the 4A but no ones willing to do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mean a total swap to a 4age, I mean putting the 20 top head onto our block. The 20 top has 5 valves per cylinder wich means more air...more combustion in the cylinder..and more power.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It won't bolt on. It's two completely different engine designs.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
ok first of al the 20v is a 1.6.. i used to have one. and 2ndly there would be no lift. it is just vvt.. there is no vvtl-i or vvt-i. but it does rev to 8200, and has 4 individual throttle bodies. it is agood idea to swap it in a ae86 or the 80's mr2 body. the whole engine that is. it is the same engine code at the 4age. so you could swap the head on the mr2 engine and it would work.

·
Registered
351 Posts
werd on that.... i did a swap in my 87 mr2 to an ae 101 20v 4age... it was a pretty impressive engine for the mk1. my car ran a 14.3 with just an intake with my car weighing in at 2000lbs without me in it....

it was a fun project car....i sold it last month and bought an accord cause i needed an aditional family car.....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
People, the two engines are so comleatly difrent its not even worth talking about doing a head swap.
And the thing that makes a 4AEG a monster is the fact that it will go on and on and on and on and on and on................... It never stops. Could race that puppy all day long for a month and do little to no damage. :)
Its one fo the best motors ever made.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
the swap won't work and theres just not much point. The 5 valve 4A-GE only made 175 HP anyays, and the formula atlantic head is a 16 Valve design with beefed up internals, a new cam, pilborne injection and some other stuff.

·
Registered
351 Posts
the ae101 made 160hp and the ae111 made 165hp.... but those numbers always seemed to be overated by toyota at about 10hp too much.

You could probably swap this engine in a mk5 celica with a 4afe but whats the point when you can just do a 3sgte....

stick with the 2zz engine or buy another car... there is no cheap way out to gain tons of performance and the 20v 4age wouldnt even be a good one for the 7th gen celica.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok.. Thankx guys for all the info.... I was missinformed on the 20 top....thought it was 1.8 but was wrong... Guess I just need to stop being inpatient and stick with the good ol 2zz....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts