NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm new to the forum. Bought my son a 2000 GT 5sp with a seized engine. We have acquired a 2002 1zzfe from a Panasonic Edition auto trans. It arrives next week. I've been reading the threads, downloaded the manuals, but have these questions.
- Are there any wiring harness diffrences?
- Will any mods need to be done to retrofit the engine to a 5 Speed, like a pilot bearing on the crank?
- Can the engine be removed from the top? With trans or without?
- Synthetic oil...preferences...comments?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 2002 1ZZ-FE has the same oil starvation problem. It was fixed only in 2003.
At least, you should change the piston rings.

Most of the parts that are different between the manual and automatic, like the flywheel, you can take from the old engine.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
^Yep, pretty much so. I'm not sure if the knock sensor was changed for the 1ZZ too in 2002 so you should have a look at that. As a rule you use as much sensors as possible from the old engine, in case they are different.

Easiest way to pull is from the top with tranny attached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The replacement engine has 70K kilometres and 190 psi compression. That was the better of all engines available across western canada, and it comes from a running vehicle. I had read in in another forum that the oil consumption problem was fixed in '02. (http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/celica/2000/discussion.html).

Any thoughts on synthetic oil?

·
Lurking06 Celica07 Join08
5,328 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The replacement engine has 70K kilometres and 190 psi compression. That was the better of all engines available across western canada, and it comes from a running vehicle. I had read in in another forum that the oil consumption problem was fixed in '02. (http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/celica/2000/discussion.html).

Any thoughts on synthetic oil?
Hrm, I've heard 2003. And I think late model 2002 (apparently the facelifted ones which I assume means they got the new front that the 2003's had).

I just got a 2003 to make sure.

Scary thign is I know I've read some where on this forum some one say they even knew a few 2003's with the problem (but that seems odd to me cause isn't hte 2003-2005 engine the same so wouldn't you then see it in the later models a little too if the updated engine still was prone to it?).

Kinda sux that Toyota pretty much didn't care. Obviously they did acknowledge it was a problem enough to change the engine design for hte better in 2002/3 but not enough to actually do anything about the people who got the bum engine. At least with the Outback (I was considering one of htose before I got this car and I was considering hte years that had major headgasket issues) Subaru eventually acknowledged it and gave a little support to people (by putting out some additive you were supposed to put in your car and if you did that and could prove you maintained the car and the headgasket blew before the warranty ran out they'd fix it for you).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.