NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My brother has a 2000 GTS and it is currently stuck in 3rd gear. Originally it wouldn't go into reverse, so like a dolt he tried to force it, now somehow it is in 3rd gear and won't come out with the engine running or not. The car is still driveable, so the clutch seems to engage and disengage. The shift leveler can still be easily moved forwards and backwards (like there's no resistance), but it will not move from side to side.

I did a search and a few others had problems like this, but for some the shift linkage was suspected and on others they had to replace the clutch. Since the car can still be driven (but only in third) hopefully it is a shift linkage problem. Tomorrow I will remove the battery and holder to try and see the linkages. But what would I be looking for? Just that they are bolted into their brackets? Are there any other suspects?

Thanks,
Dubs

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did some searching just to help out with a few links that you may or may not know about;

I can't offer advice on your problem but I figured I'd share some resources that may help you get more familiar with the parts you'll be dealing until someone else can help diagnose.

Not sure how familiar you are, no offense if you already knew about the above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the links. Some of them I saw and others I reviewed. Gratitude.

I removed the battery today hoping to find something clearly wrong but no such luck. It looks like both shift cables are still in their brackets and are still attached to their poles on the transmission. The only thing I noticed was that on one of them, the rubber corrugated boot had a nut at the end that wasn't attached to anything, so I could push and pull the boot at ease. Here you see it pared back and showing the rod underneath:

Here are also some other pics, not sure if these help.

Any thoughts appreciated. It just seems odd that the gear shift level will go forwards and backwards freely (but not move anything on the transmission), but won't budge side to side.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Found a post here that spoke of a nut; http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5032158&postcount=4

Also check google and forums for a cable bushing install guide it may give details on how they should function which can help you rule out if the cable is the issue. I found a bushing install guide for a 2000 GT on youtube as well that may help.

If the questionable cable you mentioned controls the axis that youre having the issue with, maybe it could just be a problem with the cable components.

Not sure though

·
Registered
501 Posts
Try disconnecting the cables at the transmission and moving the levers by hand.
You should also verify that the clutch slave is functioning properly. Have a buddy depress the pedal and make sure it moves the level on the transmission in, then out again with the pedal let back out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, a few years late to the party but I just started having the same problem and I'm wondering if this was ever solved. 2000 celica gt 5spd. car is stuck in 2nd gear, shifter moves up and down freely (no Resistance/completely loose) but stays in 2nd gear. car can drive, am taking it too my shop tomorrow so start pulling the whole damn thing apart so I can take pictures then of what I find.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Is the shifter in the car moving the levers on the transmission? If so, the linkage inside the transmission is broken. If not, the shifter cables or the shifter itself are damaged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its stuck in 2nd and does not move left or right but is completely loose moving up or down. The shift cables connecting to the transmission seem to still be connected. Moving the shifter up and down makes 0 noise anywhere, the shifter itself feels like its disconnected. I did some research last on it and am going to check under the console later today. (-41 here atm and the car has had several other issues since)

·
Registered
501 Posts
It sounds like one of the two cables has become detached under the shifter assembly. Your plan to check it out under the console is a good one.
It is only -22C here in Ottawa today. Had to put on long pants to harvest the banana crop. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright do I popped open the console. It appears the cables are connected and moving but back and forth moves freely. Having someone move the shifter back and forth and I dont believe I can hear anything moving inside the transmission but I can hear something a bit farther down the line. I'm assuming the shift cable is snapped somewhere down the line in this case? Everything is connected on the transmission and jiggling it back and forth (barely any movement since it's in gear) it moves the shifting mechanism on the tranny. Any thoughts, how loud would the linkage inside the tranny sound if it was broken, I'd like to think it would he noticeably loud if something was broken inside. The cause of this was a kid playing inside the car and he pulled the shifter down very hard into second (clutch was engaged at the time) and then the shifter went completely loose going back and forth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
(Replying to myself cause I'm cool)
So I pulled it off and did a bunch of testing. Then i got smart and figured out that the problem. So the up and down cable broke. Where the rod that connects to the steel line at the shifter it had snapped. I'm thinking it was already starting to go and when the little one was messing with it it finally gave way (the car had just been pulled in the garage so it was at -48). Is there any way too temporary reconnect it and if not I need a little guide on how to get everything disconnected. I cant seem to get the cable out of the holder at the shifter end.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply - offline for the weekend. No there is no simple workaround.
You have to change the cable out. It is a bit of a PITA job to release the cable assembly from the metal bracket bolted to the floor under the heater box near the firewall (a couple of 10mm bolts in a hellish place for anyone with adult-sized hands). A ratchet head 10mm wrench with a long handle works.
You may have to unbolt the whole shifter assembly from the floor and move it around a bit to release the cables.
On the tranny end, if the metal part of the rubber bushing on the end of the cable has rusted to the linkage post (a common Canadian car problem). You can destroy the old bushing and grind off the corroded centre part if you are very careful not to destroy the linkage post.
What I've done a couple of times with rusted bushing centres is pry the outside ring of the cable off of the rubber part of the stuck bushing and leave the bushing attached to the linkage. Swap in a new cable and press/pry out its bushing. Lube the outside of the old rubber bushing with a pile of moly grease, then pry (persuade, curse, push) the new cable end over the old rubber bushing... good for another 100,000 kms

Hope this helps and the temps warm up a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea I'm ordering a new cable but having a hard time finding anything that's not a new set of cables for $350+. Got any recommendations of where to hunt online? I'm buying the MWR copper bushing set so I'll be replacing the rubber anyway so hopefully that gets rid of some of the headache. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately I cant get access to a scrap car tht has cables in without driving 3 and half hours away. This I why I'm looking online for a cable but my search isnt going great. MWR has a used set of cables for $200im likely going to buy. Thanks again for the help. If I run into issues pulling it out I'll post again.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Where are you located? I have had good results finding used Canadian parts on car-part.com.

There are four 2000 -2005 Celicas listed with "shifter linkage" on that site now, ranging from $60 to $125 for the whole shifter and cable assembly. BTW the 6 speed GTS tranny cables work with the 5 speed GT tranny cables. The shifter on the 6 speed is a bit different as it has no left side upper lockout (so you can access reverse).
Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like our local pick and pull as an 03 that is standard I'm going to get the cables off of. Is anything in the 00-05 range compatible or will I need the shifter assembly too?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I suggest you grab the whole shifter and cable assembly from the u-pull car.
Disconnect the two cables from the transmission linkage (Pliers, vice grips, small pry bar, small hammer, long handled magnet to retrieve whatever you drop on the ground into the snow), unbolt the cable mounting bracket inside the car under the heater box (10 mm ratchet head wrench and a lot of patience), unbolt the shifter assembly from the floor (ratchet, extension and socket - 12 mm bolts I think) and pull the cables/shifter back into the car.
Good luck, bring your hand warmers and a flask...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts