NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I tried pulling it from an auto wrecker. I got everything done to the point of a metal/rubber clip just outside the firewall (engine side) holding the cables. My knife wasnt sharp enough to cut through it, is there an easier way to get the cable out of that clip? I only had 2 hours (work) to get it to that point. The metal bracket on the interior side of the firewall that everyone has issues with I got the one bolt undone then I just used my mini pry bar to bend it up and it loosened the cables out of it. Another issue I saw was on the tranny side of the cable, right before the metal retainer clip there was about a half inch spot where there was no cover over the steel line and the steel was pretty rusted. It shifted fine though. Do you think it's better to just straight out buy a new cable and will that not matter?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The metal/rubber bracket on the engine side is bolted onto the firewall with two 10 mm nuts. Try the used cable...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can I take the cables out of that bracket or do I just have to pull then through the firewall. I was on a pretty big time crunch or I would have worked at it a bit hard pulling the cables. I was also just tryna to get the 1 cable to replace but I'm figuring out why they always just sell them as pairs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I suggest you unbolt the rubber bracket and take both cables and the shifter assembly. Think like a car manufacturer and swap whole assemblies if possible.
Hopefully the bracket will pull through under the heater box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea that rubber bracket has me stumped. I'm going back tomorrow and I'm bringing more blades and going to just cut it off. I'm not seeing too much of a point to it if I reuse the metal bracket on the interior firewall. Pretty big pain doing this one haha, it wouldn't be so bad if I wasnt always ina rush when I went to the wreckers. Thanks for being so helpful, I don't usually have this much trouble with shift cables but I guess I've never owned a celica before haha. Fun nice cars though and where I live celicas are a rare breed. Theres 3 in all of calgary that I can get parts from.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The rubber/bracket absorbs vibrations and movement from the driveline into the shifter assembly through the cables.
We have about the same inventory of parts Celicas in Ottawa u-pulls (not in my back yard like the one in the pictures. I also have a black and a yellow parts car, 2 on the road and a racecar version - all 00-02 models.)
Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright I got the cables out of the donor and I gotta say. I've never spent 4 and half hours taking 1 piece out of a vehicle before. I got everything else dealt with fairly easily however my main issue was the 10mm bolt on the back side of the metal bracket holding the cables into place. (The one everyone has issues with). I'm wondering if theres any better way to deal with it other than breaking the damn air box thing and prying it up so I can get a wrench too it. My current option on my car is chop sawing the back of the bolt and the black thread clip holding it. Also are all the harness plugs for the fuse box unique? (Only have 1 spot to plug into). I got quoted $270 from toyota to install the cables so I'm debating doing that to ensure I dont break anything in my car.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Toyota built the car around the shifter cables....
The fuse box connectors are all unique except for two that can be interchanged by accident. That connector controls the alternator charging circuit, which I discovered the hard way.
Unless you unbolt the dash and heater box assembly, there's no non-destructive way to cut the 10mm bolt head off. You just have to be gentle and patient with a long handled wrench and a gentle pry up on the box to get it out.
If you get creative you could wire or rivet the bracket back in through the bolt holes from under the car.
Your call on who reinstalls them. Good job so far!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright, got her all done up. Interior is still in pieces and I gotta switch the up down motion cable clip to my new one but time limits got me for the day. So doing the 00 celica went way easier than the donor 03. It almost believe that there is a few hair more space between the heater box and those bolts. The 1 was able to be done fast with a ratchet with a swivel handle. The other I used a Mag wrench. Not ratcheting (they have a deep ring with a nice angle) and was able to just pull the carpet back and unbolt it. I didnt have to disconnect any plugs but I did undo all the bolts holding the module and the fuse box stuff so I could move them around. Once I got the metal plate unbolted i used tin snips and just cut about an inch gap int he side and the cables slid right out no problem. I pulled the gasket through the engine side and the whole thing came out pretty easily. Getting it all in was a bit of a guiding game between me and another in my shop. Got it all through (I had cut the gasket previously and am just using build a gasket to reseal it). The plate slide right back on but I'm only doing the rathetable bolt back up incase I ever gotta pull them again. It was a good call using the 03 shifter assembly too, feels much better than my 00 did even with more miles. I did rebuild and clean the whole assembly and grinded all the rust away so looks brand new (gunna use the same 03 one for the short shifter I ordered). I found a never opened Trd shift boot online and its gunna be here next month so going to replace that and the nob with a red nob that matches the interior. Great help and thanks for all the advice. Total time was roughly 7-8 hours with to pull from donor, then pull mine and install the new ones. Including the rebuild time on the assembly and a couple beer breaks. Didnt have much recent info I could find for these things so I might post a video onto YouTube with my step by step on how I did it for future references.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Alright, got her all done up. Interior is still in pieces and I gotta switch the up down motion cable clip to my new one but time limits got me for the day. So doing the 00 celica went way easier than the donor 03. It almost believe that there is a few hair more space between the heater box and those bolts. The 1 was able to be done fast with a ratchet with a swivel handle. The other I used a Mag wrench. Not ratcheting (they have a deep ring with a nice angle) and was able to just pull the carpet back and unbolt it. I didnt have to disconnect any plugs but I did undo all the bolts holding the module and the fuse box stuff so I could move them around. Once I got the metal plate unbolted i used tin snips and just cut about an inch gap int he side and the cables slid right out no problem. I pulled the gasket through the engine side and the whole thing came out pretty easily. Getting it all in was a bit of a guiding game between me and another in my shop. Got it all through (I had cut the gasket previously and am just using build a gasket to reseal it). The plate slide right back on but I'm only doing the rathetable bolt back up incase I ever gotta pull them again. It was a good call using the 03 shifter assembly too, feels much better than my 00 did even with more miles. I did rebuild and clean the whole assembly and grinded all the rust away so looks brand new (gunna use the same 03 one for the short shifter I ordered). I found a never opened Trd shift boot online and its gunna be here next month so going to replace that and the nob with a red nob that matches the interior. Great help and thanks for all the advice. Total time was roughly 7-8 hours with to pull from donor, then pull mine and install the new ones. Including the rebuild time on the assembly and a couple beer breaks. Didnt have much recent info I could find for these things so I might post a video onto YouTube with my step by step on how I did it for future references.
Heres the full write up i made already. Sorry im a few days late.

[/URL]

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts