NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my other car that i use it daily; I almost have never had any problems with this car. Recently, the inspection is due; i live in Philadelphia PA. Usually, i go to my buddy who takes care about an inspection thing but unfortunately he was not there. Therefore, I went to other place that I am not "often" come there. Shortly, my car is failed because a bad O2 sensor with P0031 code; he told me I have to pay $65 failed or not. But he said I have one month to fix it and I dont need to pay him again when the car is ready. He said the cost will be $ 100 + $ labor. It is an universal o2; i decided to diy. I checked with my obd11, he was right, it is the bank1 sensor1, i bought online for $ 18,98 shipped. After i replaced, the cel gone and "there is no data..bla.." on my scanner. I went back to that place but he showed to me that the car is not perfect yet if he does another test it will be failed again, he told me to drive a car for some period of time then go back there. Also, he showed to me that some other things are "not completed" according to his scanner. Would somebody give me some suggestions please....
Note: Right now there is no cel and no code at all according to my scanner.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. In PA, there is two stickers needed; one for the emission system and other for something that related with mechanical and other functions such as light, wiper, tires..etc....
I did too in mazda forum but I haven't been there for about 4 years. Btw, this mpv is very reliable car imo. My mistake was i did not give the o2 replacement to him; for me $100 + $labor...is too much compare with $50 "DIY" genuine Denso direct fit w/out cutting. In PA, the emission test is not that strict as in CA. Btw, I dont see a single code on my scanner OBDII after I replaced the bad o2 sensor. I know $65 is not a super duper huge money but i do not want to pay $65 for nothing while I dont see a real problem on my car.
Note: that $ 100 +$labor is not included in $65 I've paid in advance after I got "failed".

·
Trust me, I'm Asian.
8,552 Posts
Also, he showed to me that some other things are "not completed" according to his scanner.
Doesn't this just mean that the ECU hasn't finished testing everything yet? Since you probably reset the ECU after you changed out the O2 sensor, you'll need to drive the car for a certain amount of miles (don't know the number) before the ECU is ready. So just drive it for like a week or so before going back. You said you have a month anyways.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, I will do. I have 30 days. I thought after I reset/deleted by my scanner and unplugging the the neg on the battery will clean/clear enough; actually, i drove about one hour after i did it. Again, i'll do it. Thank you....

·
Trust me, I'm Asian.
8,552 Posts
Yeah the reset cleaned out the ECU. That's why the smog guy told you to go back after driving it while so the ECU can regain information. I would go back after using up a full tank of gas.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,264 Posts
Yep, not all the MIL status indicators are completed after 1 hour of driving. I think the EVAP tests aren't done yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I thought that is for our car only; I saw your (GSBoek) response on other thread about this...something like "....it needs one full tank cycle.." to clear all the "hidden" codes. Anyway, I did it last night with a generic/basic drive ( cold start, driving at 55 for 4 minutes..bla...) cycle for about 25 minutes total; check with my obd2 - the light is green then...this morning :wiggle: all passed and got both stickers on my windshield. Thanks again my friends...

Where is your latest signature??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts