NewCelica.org Forum banner

White smoke from exhaust...

• Use pour n go head gasket sealant! Stop that internal leak!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Could be lucky.. Replace the upper intake manifold gasket!

• Think outside the box! It could be your Lower exhaust manifold gasket!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, 2001 celica gt. I did a Coolant flush and looks like now there is white smoke coming from the exhaust, it seems to be coolant as the coolant level goes down when the engine is on, however there are no external fluid leaks anywhere on this car except the exhaust, but is very small water along with the smoke which is when reving the engine.

Original cel code said upper intake manifold gasket.

White smoke code said lean bank 1

So you guys, should I run a head gasket sealer, or take a chance replacing the upper intake manifold gasket? Or even the lower exhaust manifold I’ve never done one of either is it possible/easier than a head gasket change? Head gasket sounds like it’s a bit much for me to take on.

Absolute best regards to everyone who answers this question!

Also.. if using a pourable head gasket sealant, are there any recommendations for which one? I heard they arent all compatible with different coolant and mine has the red in it.

thanks!!!!

·
Lurking06 Celica07 Join08
5,327 Posts
It definitely sounds like a blown head gasket . The other two gaskets don't seem likely at all to be the culprit.

You can do a compression test, as well as looking at the oil to see if it's a milky color. A look at the spark plugs and even an endoscope camera to look at the top of the cylinders. If they are squeaky clean, its an indication of them being steam cleaned by the coolant.
I'd recommend against any sealants on modern cars especially the celica.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My guess is that someone added a block seal to cover over the issue and your flush took that away. Even if not, i Fully rebuilt my vvt miata engine 5000 track day miles ago and somehow there was oil in the water (more pressure from the oil passageway than the coolant i presume as it does not burn water) probably my diy porting job! 🤣
I tried a block seal before i was forced to strip it and it worked for me. I drain the coolant every so often but never flush coolant, trans or engine ever!
May as well try it first but your call. If you do Get the one that is ok with antifreeze. Some are not.
I think now i used Barr’s liquid copper that is antifreeze compatible even though i use water wetter instead as i am not allowed antifreeze on track and winters here will not freeze an engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts