NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
I guess VVT (Variable Valve Timing) is a generic term so it probably covers everybody's technology that performs the same function.

FWIW, I pulled the VVT solenoid and it's little filter and both were clean and when I applied 12v to the solenoid, it moved easily and correctly so i don't think that's it.
Its not the same nor is it the same function, to be specific vvt is variable cam timing, the solenoid pushes oil into the cam and that can varry cam timing advanced/retard by a specific amount depending on various factors.

Vtec (honda)is a solenoid that puts oil pressure to a rocker so its rides on the big cam.

Kinda similar effect to what the 2zz has but its activation and system is different.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ahh, makes sense, I have always roped them together in my mind.
Nope, they are different. Understanding correct Terminology is important because you can say one thing and it be completely different from a experience point of view.

If i say your issue is the upstream o2 sensor and you think upstream is the 2nd o2 sensor then you replaced a part for no reason.

Same principle here, if it was a 2zz and i said check your filter for the lift solenoid, and you check the vvt solenoid even though they are the same part theyre on opposite sides of the engine. Then id be trying to help you diagnose a no lift issue with a clogged filter screen with you thinking you checked the filter and it was clear.

2000 GTS Turbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts