NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I reciently bought a 2002 gts & I have a question regarding keys, my issue is this the car had been sitting for 3 years when I bought it I was told only the engine was bad. This is the beginning of my experience I ordered a engine & finially got it how exciting right? Wrong after I got the car I found out they had lost the only key for it so I pulled a door lock took it to shop to get key made went back to the car & it wont work in the ignition is the ignition key different from the door key? Cuz I think its impossible to pull a ignition w/out the key being in the acc position help what can I do?

·
Registered
519 Posts
... to save alot of work.... u cud hav just went to a dealer an had a key cut for 10$

Also the ignition is super easy to remove its held in by a tab, remove the lower column plastic and it pops right off. Take it to a smith have them re-key the cyl to match ur current door key

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you guys not have the chip in the key being read by the (forgets word) immobilizer ring around the ignition switch that tells the ECU and BCM to allow the car to start?

Getting a key cut only gets you in the door.

·
Registered
2002 gts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everyone I reciently bought a 2002 gts & I have a question regarding keys, my issue is this the car had been sitting for 3 years when I bought it I was told only the engine was bad. This is the beginning of my experience I ordered a engine & finially got it how exciting right? Wrong after I got the car I found out they had lost the only key for it so I pulled a door lock took it to shop to get key made went back to the car & it wont work in the ignition is the ignition key different from the door key? Cuz I think its impossible to pull a ignition w/out the key being in the acc position help what can I do?
Do you guys not have the chip in the key being read by the (forgets word) immobilizer ring around the ignition switch that tells the ECU and BCM to allow the car to start?

Getting a key cut only gets you in the door.
Thats what I've been trying to find out cuz I seen online that the celica's that old doesn't have chipped keys. As I said in my post this is a new car for me so I need any info I can get. I need to get the steering to unlock so I can get it towed to my house where I can put the engine in

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thats what I've been trying to find out cuz I seen online that the celica's that old doesn't have chipped keys. As I said in my post this is a new car for me so I need any info I can get. I need to get the steering to unlock so I can get it towed to my house where I can put the engine in
Its just a standard key. Remove the whole ignition an take it to a lock smith. They can make quick work of it an changw the key code to match ur door key

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,636 Posts
USDM Celicas don't have immobilizers.

Dealer can pull the key code from the VIN & cut a key for a USDM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts