NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to put a 2003 celica on a diet, where are the best places to lose some weight, for autocrossing and in general?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you are going to run GS:
Cat back straight pipe as long as long as where you race does not have sound limitations.
Lightest wheels that you can afford.
Reduce your car to a zero option car.
Those are the easy things.
After that, you need to do things like get a lighter front sway bar made, lightweight shocks etc.
FM

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure what class........ what about carbon fiber hood, hatch and a rear window made of a lighter matieral? I know its adding weight but would a front splitter make any difference when autoxing?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
TRD2003GT said:
im not sure what class........ what about carbon fiber hood, hatch and a rear window made of a lighter matieral? I know its adding weight but would a front splitter make any difference when autoxing?

All that stuff would put you in a class where the celica would not have a chance..

If in Stock (GS) and STS then 1/4 fulled gas tank, no mats, no options, no spare tire, no jack and jack releated parts, light weight battery and exhaust, and loose some weight yourself. And thats about it.

Also STS can have lighter weight seats now i think.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Are you autocrossing for fun or do you actually want to be competitive? The things you want to do put you into some stupid hard classes, and won't make you appreciabally faster by themselves.

How many autocorss events have you run? If yu havent already, I'd suggest going out and running for a season or two before making a serious effort to build a car.

Scott

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Like Scott said, in AX it's not the car that makes you fast, only the driver. A skilled driver in a car right off the showroom floor will badly spank a novice in the best prepared car (seen it done with rentals!). If you want to mod your car go ahead, and then AX it in whatever class it falls into for fun and experience. You'll spend a lot more time in it on the street than on an AX course. Once you get experience AXing, you'll know if you want to compete seriously and be familiar with the classes and prep rules, so you'll know what to do to prepare a serious AX car.
No matter what tho, I'd forget about replacing the rear glass!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you. I planned to autocross for fun mostly so i wont plan on the mods for autoxing, i also had plans to do racing schools at Sebring Raceway. so all those mods werent just autoxing related. I do know a good driver beats a faster car anyday but a good driver in a lighter car cant hurt. thanx for all the advice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts