NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
nissan develops new-generation v6 engines
* hr stands for high response (or high revolution)
* 5th generation of the vq.
* redline increase to 7500rpm
* redesigned block for increased rigidity
* complete symmetrical intake and exhaust systems
* worldwide first hydrogen free dlc (diamond like carbon) [hu] due to coding adoption decrease
* setting electromagnetism vtc on exhaust cam side in addition to the oil pressure vtc of air inlet cam side,
* adoption of isometric exhaust manifold
* higher compression ratio: 10.6:1 (previously 10.3:1)

nissan develops new-generation v6 engines --engines to power all-new skyline to be released this autumn

nissan motor co., ltd., has newly developed two new-generation six-cylinder v-type engines for front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles featuring powerful performance and improved environmental friendliness.

The 3.5l vq35hr and 2.5l vq25hr engines will be built at nissan's iwaki plant in fukushima prefecture and will be equipped in the all-new skyline to be released this autumn in japan, as well as the us where the model is sold as the infiniti g35.

Featuring newly designed engine blocks and other key components, the engines offer smooth transition to top-in-class level engine speed of 7,500 revolutions per minute drawing upon the "smooth transition" concept of the popular vq engine, the only engine in the world to appear on ward's 10-best engines list for 12 consecutive years.

The engines achieve a 10% improvement in fuel efficiency compared to vehicles equipped with the existing vq engine and top-in-class super ultra-low emission vehicle level emissions. Su-levs have 75% or less nitrogen oxide (nox) and hydrocarbon (hc) emissions than those stipulated by japan's 2005 exhaust emission standards.

The letters "hr" in vq35hr and vq25hr stand for "high revolution" and "high response."

nissan began vq engine production in 1994 and has produced a cumulative total of 5.5 million units as of last fiscal year, ended march 31, 2006.

main specifications of the vq35hr and vq25hr engines:

smooth transition to top-in-class level engine speed of 7,500 rpm

* reduction of weight and friction through adoption of asymetrical piston skirt configuration
* reduction of piston-side force through lengthening of con rod
* addition of rudder frame, newly-designed cylinder block with significantly improved rigidity

thrilling revving sound and top-in-class output

* adoption of perfectly symmetrical intake system
* adoption of continuously variable valve timing control (cvtc) for intake side and electromagnetic valve timing control (e-vtc) for exhaust side
* reduction of intake resistance through adoption of symmetrical twin intake system and straight intake port
* adoption of isometric exhaust manifold and perfectly symmetrical exhaust system

improvement of fuel-efficiency and emission cleanliness

* reduction of friction through adoption of world's first hydrogen-free, diamond-like carbon (dlc) coating
* adoption of catalyst substrate with ultra-low heat mass, super-ignition iridium spark plug and fast light-off o2 sensor control

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Very nice engine indeed. I'll wait to trade the G in for the complete exterior redesign of the Z though. The new G Coupe will be more then I want to spend...and I realized that I don't need a sh!tty back seat (if you want to call it a back seat).

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Wouldnt it be possible to just get the supercharger and make a toggle switch between 2 programmed ecu's or something? and probably get more out of it for cheaper....

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
$50k for a Z? That defeats the intend of the "affortable sports car". Same price and performance as the M3 with an Nissan badge.

One didn't have to pay that much more to buy a G35 coupe with all the amenities. Maybe Nissan should inject more interests in the 350z by giving it more performance for less money. Toyota did that with the Supra by dropping the price from $40k to 30k in 1998(?).

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
nyoneway said:
$50k for a Z? That defeats the intend of the "affortable sports car". Same price and performance as the M3 with an Nissan badge.
A Z Track Coupe with every Nismo option (sways, shocks, catback, spoiler, sideskirts, rear bumper, 18" wheels) goes for $43,145.00 on nissanmotors.com (11k more than an Evo/STi which is totally retarded). Throw a supercharger on top of that and you're looking at a car that has to cost over 50k. I can't imagine there is a market for 50k+ Z's and I bet Nissan is thinking about that more than they're thinking about making one. And the interior on a Z isn't going to cut it for a 50k+ car.

An Evo or STi with 11k worth of mods would also smoke this thing pretty badly. Or a 240sx with 40k invested in it. Same price as the above quoted Z, $43k.

nyoneway said:
One didn't have to pay that much more to buy a G35 coupe with all the amenities. Maybe Nissan should inject more interests in the 350z by giving it more performance for less money. Toyota did that with the Supra by dropping the price from $40k to 30k in 1998(?).
Amen.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
to burrcold, if u want to see what a real sh!tty back seat is, buy a celica lol...anyways, my friend was telling me earlier today that the Altima 3.5 and the Maxima 3.5 use the same engine as the 350z. i knew he was wrong, but then i also relaized that it couldnt have been a coinsidence that all of nissans engines have a displacement of 3.5l's. Anyone know what the codename of the altima/maxima (if they even use the same powertrain) setup is, and if it is related to the VQ line?

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
homeworld1031tx said:
to burrcold, if u want to see what a real sh!tty back seat is, buy a celica lol...anyways, my friend was telling me earlier today that the Altima 3.5 and the Maxima 3.5 use the same engine as the 350z. i knew he was wrong, but then i also relaized that it couldnt have been a coinsidence that all of nissans engines have a displacement of 3.5l's. Anyone know what the codename of the altima/maxima (if they even use the same powertrain) setup is, and if it is related to the VQ line?
The VQ35 is in a crapload of cars. It's even in their minivan. It's almost comical.

* 2001-2004 Nissan Pathfinder (240 hp)
* 2002-2004 Nissan Maxima (255 hp)
* 2004- Nissan Maxima (265 hp)
* 2003-2006 Infiniti G35 (260 hp to 298 hp)
* Infiniti QX4 (240 hp)
* 2002-2004 Infiniti I35 (255 hp)
* 2003- Nissan 350Z (from 287 to 301 hp)
* Nismo Z S-Tune GT 295 hp (VQ35DE S1 engine)
* 2002- Nissan Skyline (V35) (280 hp)
* Nissan Stagea (M35) (272 hp)
* 2003- Nissan Teana (350JM-J31) (231 hp, 333 nm)
* 2003- Nissan Presage
* 2004- Nissan Fuga (280 hp)
* 2000- Nissan Elgrand (245 hp)
* 2002- Nissan Quest (240 hp)
* 2004- Nissan Murano (Z50) (245 hp)
* 2002 - 2006 Nissan Altima (from 250 to 260 hp)
* Infiniti FX35 (280 hp)
* Renault Espace (241 hp)
* Renault Vel Satis (241 hp)
* 2006 - Samsung (Renault) SM7 NEO-VQ

1 - 20 of 132 Posts