NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be the longest someone has gone between joining and an introduction post :). Been a member for quite some time, my then girlfriend bought a 2004 back in the fall of 2006, I remember looking at it at night as well as another at the same Toyota dealership. She picked it up with about 25k on it and I've been the caretaker since, using Mobil 1 then in the last few years Amsoil, basic maintenance, no mods sorry, it's her daily driver and I already have a couple other toys that have taken enough of my money.

I replaced the stock wheels due to peeling/chipping - twice, the last time with a set from Alabama, perfect shape and I used an old set for snow tires, helping keep the nice ones clean and the snow tires really help such a light car in the snow. Never any problems with the car, replaced the battery once and just basic maintenance items, brakes, plugs, filter, etc. In June of 2012 we drove it to Virginia Beach as part of our belated honeymoon combined with our first wedding anniversary, On the way back just outside of Virginia Beach some old lady sideswiped us, no one hurt and just minor damage. Fortunately she did the right thing, admitted fault and her insurance took care of everything, the shop I picked out and know did a nice job making it right, only part that was replaced was the passenger fender. Late last summer with about 118k on it the code for rear o2 set, I believe the cat was bad but never got around to repairing it.

Then in October my wife with our dog in the back were hit head on going through an intersection, not at a high speed thankfully. Everyone was ok including the dog :D . But, the person who really was at fault had no insurance and the police report didn't really assign blame. Our insurance took care of it and we eventually got our deductible back as they must be collecting from the uninsured driver who hit us. My wife was leaning towards getting an SUV which part of me admits I'd like but she drives over 50 miles round trip for her work commute, so mpg is important. She found an 03' GT just south of the WI border in IL that was nearly a clone to ours and ended up buying it. Had 108k, cat was recently replaced by the dealership ($) and overall it was in good shape. Some things better than ours, some not. We bought the 2004 back from insurance and I parted it out, mostly on here. Kept the better parts and all of the Tsunami items to swap over. Had to buy a drivers headlight and a member hooked me up with a very fair price on a new Toyota Tsunami front bumper this spring. I finally swapped it on this past weekend after paint and tonight took pics of the final product. It feels weird sometimes, almost forget it's a different Celica as it was nearly identical now it really is, even has many of the 2004's parts. The only differences were the obvious, 2003's action package vs the 2004 version or "Tsunami" treatment. Plus the 2003 didn't have remote keyless entry from the factory so I used the module and fobs from our 2004. I used the factory relay and turn signal switch to add the fogs.

If we do get an SUV someday my daily will probably get replaced and we'd keep the Celica, to keep something that gets good mileage. Anyway, hope you managed to stay awake for my ramble and now to the pics!

After first replacement set of wheels, I believe in the spring of 2011:

Sideswiped fender, doesn't show all of the damage to the car:

Car after getting totaled in October:

The mostly stripped carcass :( :

The 2003 we bought, picture taken from the dealer site before it was removed:

The 2003 turning it's back to the 2004, or vice versa?:

The 2004 being hauled away, buyer got the shell plus engine/trans:

The parts swapping about to (slowly)begin:

The mostly cloned Tsunami, a month or two ago:

The final product, as of today:

Playing with color settings and the bumper sticker isn't my idea :smug::

I really don't want to put a front plate on but that is the state law and in our city it's a matter of time before getting pulled over for it. Looks so clean without though, might wait until we get a warning or 10 day notice to fix it and hope it takes awhile.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
very nice where did you get the front bumper? glad you got all the tsunami pieces!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. jdmravi contacted me after seeing a post of mine stating I was looking for the front bumper. Was hoping to find a good 8M6 color one (fat chance) and bit the bullet on a new one. Price was very fair though so I couldn't pass it up. New ones come with trim pieces, just had to re-use the fogs and got a new hood seal and emblem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
woohooo! nice work on the reborn tsunami. on a side note did you ever sell that TRD wing?

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Excellent work.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Nice glad to see you back in a celica! The celica crumbles so easy its kinda scary i know its supposedly a safety thing but still.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TRD wing was sold shortly after removing it along with the other TRD parts. All that remains are really small items like wiring, odds and ends that apparently no one wants.

I too was surprised it would be totaled even after seeing the first pics from my wife. Then seeing it in person at the tow yard I could easily see why, and even more damage than I'd want to deal with if rebuilding. Did contemplate keeping it even with a salvage title but the roof had two small dimples behind the sunroof and the structural damage on the front drivers side would of taken some welding skills that I don't possess.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
It's great to see a tsunami brought back to life. I'm glad I could help with the front bumper. You got a hell of a deal on a new front bumper with all the trims which I think you can't find anymore and I made a few bucks on it :)

·
One Final Storm
3,472 Posts
Looks amazing, never would know they were two different Celica's. Glad you were able to restore the Tsunami kit and find a good replacement Celica.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I agree, the bumper was more than I wanted to spend and stretched my budget but I'm thankful you contacted me and can't argue that price for a new one :D .

Now if I can just find a really clean set of 03'-05' leather seats and door panels to match (and get my wife to remove that bumper sticker) :D .

Also it's pretty funny, the TRD wing, skirts and rear bumper were bought back in fall by a new member who just posted in this forum. All these good parts being put to good use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Now I know where my 03+ interior came from. Sadly I still don't have it installed yet due to other expenses that have prevented me from getting the rest of the audio equipment etc...But it looks like hopefully this summer I will be able to strip the interior down and put everything in and top it off with the 03+ interior.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, yep. I actually found one small piece from the interior that I can mail you, I'd have to look but think it's one of the hooks that somehow got misplaced in the shuffle.

I also found a yard this early spring that has (or had) two 03'+ Celica's, with varying amounts of interior left in them, at the time anyway. If anyone wants their info I can find it, their in the Milwaukee area. Prices weren't as cheap as I'm used to from a salvage yard but not too bad depending on the item.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Read it all! lol looks fantastic! yeah they need to up the law with uninsured drivers, two months ago my brothers cobalt SS was hit by an uninsured driver, he has full coverage but she did no jail time, and no fine. Its like she gets away free. She "may lose her license" well shit, if she does, she will just drive her uninsured car to the DMV, and purchase a basic ID. hes been looking for another cobalt ss with low miles but they are hard to come by turboed that havent been beat up lol im glad u were able to find one !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Celica Steve" and "stevecelica", I had to think who's who there.

Hopefully your brothers insurance company paid out fairly and they can go after the uninsured, maybe get their money back (and your deductible if you had one). Ours was fair, more than I initially thought we'd get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
haha yaeh i didnt notice his user name until after i made my account, i should change it LOL. yeah they low balled him but then caved and gave him what he wanted, so total hes only out the 500$ deduct and will get that back if they can make her pay, doubt it, it just sucks trying to find another cobalt ss, noone wins in the insurance game thats for sure, it makes me not even want to take mine out of the garage, i drive my bike everywhere normally lol

·
Remove Before Flight
42 Posts
Just wow! Really clean ride, and great job at bringing it back to life!

Also: don't you dare front plate that Celi. Looks way too good naked for a hunk of metal to hang off of the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts