NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Full Test
What Works:
Fast, fun and athletic; great engine made even greater; automatic matches revs on downshifts; sporty interior has moved upscale; awesome brakes.

What Needs Work:
Vehicle-speed-sensitive steering assist sometimes feels artificial, suspension tuning is too stiff.

Bottom Line:
Infiniti turns up the heat on the BMW 3 Series.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
i really dont like the front of the new g35s

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I've read at least 3 new comparos of the G35 v. the BMW 330i

They all say the G is faster, but at the end of the day they pick the bimmer for its perfect integration of all elements, and the way it just snakes through the slalom. They say that it just has a better handling feel and more composure when the going gets tough.

HOWEVER - the G is really attractively priced. I'm having my mom look at both the G35x and the 325ix - hope she gets the bimmer but won't be sad if she gets the G.

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
marc said:
So have I, and I dont think those comparisons should have been done. The mags should've waited until the BMW 335i sedan debuted, then a more appropriate comparison with the new G and current IS, would have been done.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
marc said:

They all say the G is faster, but at the end of the day they pick the bimmer for its perfect integration of all elements, and the way it just snakes through the slalom. They say that it just has a better handling feel and more composure when the going gets tough.
Motor said:
So have I, and I dont think those comparisons should have been done. The mags should've waited until the BMW 335i sedan debuted, then a more appropriate comparison with the new G and current IS, would have been done.
If that was the case, then the 335i would win by a landslide.

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LightningRod said:
If that was the case, then the 335i would win by a landslide.
Maybe. I just don't see the point in comparing an outgoing model to a new one, but that's just me.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Motor said:
Maybe. I just don't see the point in comparing an outgoing model to a new one, but that's just me.
he means compare the new G35 with the new IS350 with the new 335i sedan.

considering the G doesn't handle as well as the bimmer and the IS350 has **** ride quality, the 335i SHOULD win, but we'll just have to see when they run a comparo in a few months after all the cars are out and we can have a declared sport sedan victor.

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Infiniti beats the sophomore jinx
Autoweek: FULL STORY

The original G35 sedan, a 2003 model, was a big playmaker for Infiniti. Sharing the rear-wheel-drive FM platform and VQ35 V6 with the two-seat Nissan 350Z, it cloaked a sports car attitude in luxury sedan dress. This rwd addition to a segment where Infiniti previously had only the fwd Maxima-based I35 launched the struggling luxury division into contention and contributed to the overall Nissan turnaround.

G models now account for one-third of Infiniti sales. When the second-generation sedan launches in November, Infiniti says the car will carry the theme “Beyond Machine.” We’ll skip the “to Infiniti and beyond” jokes to simply note the target vehicle for everyone in this market segment is still the one calling itself the “ultimate driving machine.” With nowhere to go beyond “ultimate,” what can it mean to go beyond machine? We’re not sure it’s much more than marketing mumbo jumbo, but we’ve now driven the car, so let’s start with the machine.

The 2007 G is more of a redesign than it is an all-new car. The FM (front-mid-engine) platform runs on the same 112.2-inch wheelbase, and the fourth-generation VQ35 is revamped but in essence the same engine.

That the new G looks similar to the original is no great surprise—the proportions are pretty much locked in. But designers have done a good job distinguishing the new car.

Power is far more than ample both on the road and on the racetrack, where the G35 Sport felt more at home than did either the 330i or the IS provided for comparison. One clear advantage for the G35 over the BMW or the Lexus was found in Lime Rock’s first turn, a long sweeper called Big Bend. Where the Lexus felt soft and floppy, like a bigger luxury sedan, and the BMW declined to take a set and instead leaned over, released, and leaned again, the G35 buckled down and hustled through, assisted on exit by the Sport model’s standard viscous limited-slip differential.

Track-day drivers take note: Another on-track advantage was on the backside, No Name Straight, where both the German and Japanese competition found their six-speed automatics shifting up just when you didn’t want that, mere feet before the liftoff point. The Infiniti’s five-speed automatic may just have better gearing for the course, but its manual mode allows the driver to hold a gear right up to the rev limiter, not trying to out-think the driver.

This is appreciated, too, on the open road. We’d still prefer the manual transmission (though one we drove had a pronounced gear whine in the lower rpm ranges), but Infiniti’s is an automatic that an enthusiast can live with.

Second-generation cars sometimes compromise the integrity of the original vision. With the Sport models at least, Infiniti appears to beat the sophomore jinx, offering more of what made the original G35 special without trying to make it all things to all people.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Eww what did they do to the exterior.. :ugh:

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
I would actually get the G35 4-door over the coupe right now (either the AWD w/ the ATESSA steering or the "sports package"). So, to me, this is :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
I still like the is 350 more. The new G35 sedan tries too hard to look like the old g35 couple instead of pushing new boundaries. It's part of Nissan's plan for every new car to look as much as possible like the g35 coupe without actually changing much mechanically about them (new sentra).

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
TommyKaira R and RR > TommyKaira G35

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
i forgot about the ZZs. Sexy as all hell.

But in the matter of Tommykaira modified OEM cars.. this takes the cake

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan Dyno Results

Hydrazine said:
SOURCE
The 2007 VQ HR dyno results!!!

Comparative dynos of the NON-REVUP AT and the REVUP MT have been included to illustrate the relative differences of the three engines.

As you can see in the plots below the 2007 HR engine completely stomps the prior generations in both peak power and in area under the curve by a very large margin.

I've seen both the prior engines with all the boltons can do similar numbers to eachother but the HR engine greatly exceeds what any amount of boltons can do to the other engines.

$10,000 in boltons on a REVUP engine couldn't do what a stock HR does.

Congratulations to Nissan for really stepping up to the plate and doing a great job on this latest engine. Let the modding begin
2004 AT Vs 2007 AT

2005 MT Vs 2007 AT

1 - 20 of 277 Posts