NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Start Saving for the IS500
So you like your IS350 do you? Well, if you thought that was good, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! According to the latest industry buzz, it is looking increasingly likely that Lexus WILL produce a BMW M3 competitor next year. Parent company Toyota has seen not only the ‘halo effect’ that top-of-the-line performance cars have created for other luxury manufacturer’s ranges, but also the ‘bottom line’ effect achieved through increased sales. BMW’s ‘M’ models offer much higher margins, as well as accounting for a growing percentage of total model sales. In truth, this is a model variant that Lexus has to offer to be credible versus its German competitors, so the question is not if but when?

Expected to debut at several North American and European auto shows during 2007, the IS500 should be in showrooms by Fall 2007 as a 2008 model year car. It should arrive just in time to spoil the next M3’s launch party and will be the car Lexus uses to tell BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz that it is now playing leap-frog instead of catch-up.

Precise details of the new car are still a closely-guarded secret, but since Lexus Europe has been a little more forthcoming to European journalists on this subject than Lexus USA, we’ve got the inside track on what to expect. Firstly, the IS500 will have Lexus’ all-new 5.0 liter V8 direct injection engine (2UR-FSE). This engine was previewed in the forthcoming LS600h, but will be used in the IS500 without the former’s hybrid components. With a lengthened stroke, it is expected to develop in excess of 400 bhp to put it ahead of both the new M3 and Audi’s red hot RS4. We don’t know whether the IS500 will share the AWD drivetrain of the LS600h, but it’s possible. We suspect that Lexus will prefer to appeal to hard-core audiences and deliver a convincing rear-wheel drive layout.

It better come with a proper manual option and a less intrusive electronic nanny, and hopefully will not come only in automatic trim like Mercedes AMG line. :drool:

·
Super Moderator
43,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Future Product Release Time-line
RX350 (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – Late Feb 07
RX350/400h – MY08 in 07 – minor change
LS600HL (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – June 07
GS460 (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – Late Sept 07
GS350/460 – MY08 in 07 – minor change
ES350 (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – Late Sept 07
ES350 – MY08 in 07 – minor change
GX470 (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – Late Sept 07
GX470 – MY08 in 07 – minor change
IS-F (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – Late Dec 07
IS250/350 – MY08 in 07 – minor change
LX570 (MY08) – Dealer Arrival – Late Dec 07
MY07 LX production ends in July 07 (MY08 starts in Nov 07)
Apparently, according to the folks at Club Lexus the IS500/IS-F is coming. We will see ...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
i like

·
Super Moderator
43,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Lexus IS-F to Debut @ 2007 NAIAS

Lexus IS-F to Debut @ 2007 NAIAS
Lexus will stage the world premiere of the 2008 IS-F sport performance car and an exciting concept vehicle at a press conference at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
The IS-F is an all-new high-performance version of the popular Lexus IS 250/350 sport sedans. It will feature unique styling and a substantial boost in power from a V8 powerplant that will captivate performance car enthusiasts when it goes on sale next year. In addition to the IS-F, Lexus will unveil an exotic sports concept.

The press conference will be held on Monday, January 8 at 11:25 a.m. EST in the Riverview Ballroom in COBO Center and simulcast live to the Lexus display area at the show. A video clip of the press conference will be available via the Lexus.com and pressroom.lexus.com Web sites immediately following the event.

Well, I'll be damned -- it's coming!

·
Super Moderator
43,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
marc said:
if they make it in a manual I might actually have some respect for it
If it does than you know it's going to be a ///M3 and RS4 fighter. If not, then you know it's an AMG C-class fighter. Lexus better not dump the 8 speed auto from the LS460 into the LS-F! Well, we'll find out next week, won't we.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,264 Posts
I wish Toyota would surprise enthousiasts at least this once and mate that V8 thing to a real manual or a Magnetti Marelli sequential manual.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts