NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Argentum Chaos Vae Victis
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/07/20/tesla-roadster-unveiled-in-santa-monica/

Tesla Motors unveiled their uber-chic Roadster, a supercharged electric vehicle that looks, feels and drives like many other high-end sports cars Wednesday night. The main difference is the noise. Powered by a 3-phase, 4-pole AC induction motor, the Roadster can go 130 mph and does 0-60 in about 4 seconds, all completely silent.

Tonight was the grand unveiling of the Roadster in a decorated airport hanger in Santa Monica, CA. I don't ride in many sports cars, and I certainly have never been in one that zips across an airport's tarmac without so much as a whisper. But tonight I got a quick ride in the Roadster and all I could hear from the passenger's seat (not even Gov. Schwarzenegger, who flew in for a brief look at the car, was allowed to drive it) was wind noise. And myself saying "Wow" under my breath.

The car is low to the ground, and smooth in all possible ways. But this vehicle isn't just a sports car. It's also a green car. There are zero tailpipe emissions. There isn't even a tailpipe. Tesla Motors is working to provide purchasers with a photovoltaic panel that will turn the driving experience into an actual net producer of energy, according to Tesla Motors chairman Elon Musk.

Tonight's unveiling was also an invitation to purchase the Roadster when it is released in mid-2007 (for about $80,000-$120,000). The company is offering the first 100 Tesla Roadsters as Signature models. Musk said that the people who buy the Signature cars will not only be getting an incredible sports car, but will be helping to pay the R&D costs for future Tesla Motor vehicles. And that's what tonight was really about: the future. Gadget, an L.A.-based mechanic who converts ICE cars to EV and was seen in the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car?", and that film's director Chris Paine, were right behind me in line for the test ride. Paine filmed the promo video for the Roadster that was projected onto the walls. Earlier in the evening, Tesla Motors CEO Martin Eberhard said that, "An electric sports car was the way to fundamentally change the way we drive in the USA." Gadget and Paine agreed

·
Argentum Chaos Vae Victis
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImSoNastie said:
weres the fun withought the niose?
:rolleyes: Just throw a lawnmower in the passenger seat and crank it when you accelerate.

SWPLGT05 said:
That thing is powered by 6800 laptop batteries. Hows that for re-purposing technology?
:laugh: the way of the future...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yea, i looked and i couldnt find the curb weight or any weight stats on the car anywhere. Which is kinda wierd if you ask me...

·
Registered
521 Posts
WHile it would be a great car to have, when i purchase a sports car one of the things i like is a nice sounding engine and exhaust,and i sure thats one of the reasons why people choose certain exotic cars that have v10's or v8's because of the sound of them.

·
Super Moderator
43,804 Posts
Tesla Motors raising another $40M to launch Roadster

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2007/12/17/daily53.html?f=et78&ana=e_du
Tesla Motors Inc. is reportedly raising $40 million in new funds to help it get its electric Roadster to a limited amount of customers in the first quarter of 2008.

The San Carlos company's Chairman Elon Musk told the Earth2Tech online site that the money is coming from him and other current investors.

The company has already raised over $100 million in funding.

Musk said the money is needed to help overcome a snag in the car's transmission, requiring it to find a new supplier. The first cars are now expected to have an interim transmission, which the company will swap out for another transmission later.

Founder Martin Eberhard was replaced as CEO last month by Ze'ev Drori, the founder of Sunnyvale-based semiconductor chip maker Monolithic Memories Inc.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
they're really fvcking up that company, that car is doomed. there is no way they will break even if they needed to raise 140 million dollars. and why does it cost 40 million to help set up a new transmission in it? why could they possibly need that much money for something like that. i wouldn't be shocked at all if they eventually got sued by an angry customer who prepaid for a car they never will get.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
when companies with connections to sources of funding raise money, they go all out. it won't take 40mil to swap a transmission but they will have money now for that and many other things.

I don't think they should delay production. this is the kind of car that can spark more interest in the technology.

although I do agree that 140 million just to ship out a handful of cars is retarded. hopefully they are just sitting on a big wad of cash and didn't actually spend it all.

·
Registered
610 Posts
homeworld1031tx said:
they're really fvcking up that company, that car is doomed. there is no way they will break even if they needed to raise 140 million dollars. and why does it cost 40 million to help set up a new transmission in it? why could they possibly need that much money for something like that. i wouldn't be shocked at all if they eventually got sued by an angry customer who prepaid for a car they never will get.
Your mind is too simple to understand "business" on that large of a scale.

Business in itself is a gamble, you're betting your own product(s) against your consumers sometimes even against their own will.

On the other hand it's really easy to raise 40 million or even 140 million in a matter of days. It's called the stock market, idiot. Companies IPO all the time and most of the time have the ability to raise up to billions of dollars in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Transcend said:
Your mind is too simple to understand "business" on that large of a scale.

Business in itself is a gamble, you're betting your own product(s) against your consumers sometimes even against their own will.

On the other hand it's really easy to raise 40 million or even 140 million in a matter of days. It's called the stock market, idiot. Companies IPO all the time and most of the time have the ability to raise up to billions of dollars in a matter of minutes.
tesla motors is a private company. it isn't publically traded, so it can't raise money on the stock market. its finding 40 million dollars through venture capatlist investors. and no, it isn't 'really easy' to raise 140 million dollars in a matter of days. if you release shares into the market, people have to buy them. for people to buy them, they need a reason to think that the share value will increase even more through demand. demand is brought by having a good business plan or a business doing well. tesla is not doing well, and their business plan is definitely not bullet-proof. there is so way in hell tesla motors could give the general public a good enough reason for traders to dole out 140 million dollars to them. nice try though ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
homeworld1031tx said:
tesla motors is a private company. it isn't publically traded, so it can't raise money on the stock market. its finding 40 million dollars through venture capatlist investors. and no, it isn't 'really easy' to raise 140 million dollars in a matter of days. if you release shares into the market, people have to buy them. for people to buy them, they need a reason to think that the share value will increase even more through demand. demand is brought by having a good business plan or a business doing well. tesla is not doing well, and their business plan is definitely not bullet-proof. there is so way in hell tesla motors could give the general public a good enough reason for traders to dole out 140 million dollars to them. nice try though ;)
They can always decide to go public, it's not a big deal at all. Happens all the time and they have enough smart people working for them to think of some good marketing campaigns. Investors will buy, that's not a problem at all- (actually most wall-street traders are kind of lacking in thinking sense). Like I said, they can raise all 140 mil within minutes of IPOing.

In essence, raising $40 mil privately is not too tough either, there's a lot of rich (car enthusiasts) out there, just look at the Spyker F1 team and Aston Martin deals that went on- all bought out by private guys too. I personally know of a lot of well-to-do individuals in NorCal that would love to have a chance to privately invest in a company like Tesla.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Interesting 0-100kms/h in 4 seconds and only 2 gears :AF:

must have insano low end torque and still revs to 13 000rpm and would probably do it all with out making any sounds, would be an interesting drive.

·
Registered
610 Posts
homeworld1031tx said:
i definitely believe this, as idiots tend to befriend idiots.
Please refer to the thread in OT in regards to "Stupid Americans". It's ok to hate and envy man, I forgive you for doing so.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts