NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
thats another thing we need, a gas sucking v8.

·
Super Moderator
43,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Production Challenger Identical to Concept

FULL STORY
The exterior of the production 2008/2009 Dodge Challenger will be identical to the concept version, according to Chrysler VP and lead designer Tom Tremont. "You're not going to be able to tell the difference," he told the Detroit News. While Tremont's comments likely relate to the exterior of the car, the interior will also get a lot of attention. "We knew if we screwed this up, we would lose a lot of fans," said Alan Barrington, who designed the concept's interior.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
It looks half asleep, or high, or like that kind of retard that has a forehead that goes over their eyes. Definately not mean though.

It's also ****ing huge. Way bigger than a Mustang.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
yay another 4000 lb 400 hp car that can barely pull .8g (Pontiac GTO anyone)

at least this car doesn't look like ****.

I have driven the new Mustang and all I can say is - that car blows the old Fox out of the water - it is actually a very very good car that is composed, handles well, and makes adequate power.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
:bowdown: :hitit:

Though I heard there were some aerodynamic concerns about the area under the doors on the concept...

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
Wow, check out the ricewagon CX-7 in shot #2.

That looks like the new camaro concept. The part overhanging the lights takes it from "working class aggressive" to "upset forehead-overhangs-my-eyes retard aggressive."

·
Super Moderator
43,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
2008 Challenger Super Stock Concept

FULL STORY
Go

Now is when instinct takes over for a real drag racer and when everything that is unnatural about the staging process weeds out rookies like me. But, miraculously, as the yellow lights blink their way down the Christmas tree, I remember the words I've heard a thousand drag racers (including Hakim) repeat about launching: "As soon as the last light turns yellow, wood it."

I do and the Challenger makes a sound so American I almost break into the national anthem inside my helmet. All 510 lb-ft of torque go straight through Goodyear's best and into the heavily treated Las Vegas Strip. There's very little wheel-spin, and like Hakim said, it goes straight as an arrow. The crew at DaimlerChrysler engineering and Mike Pustelny Racing (who did the final assembly) built one hell of a drag car.

But it's over so fast I'm not sure I did anything right. Or anything at all for that matter. I notice the transmission is in 3rd gear as I'm on the return road so apparently I remembered to shift. Hakim is waiting to tell me the news and is visibly relieved to see the Challenger running on all cylinders. The result? An 11.53-second pass at 114 mph.

What's cool
I'm told when I return to the pits that this pass is a record-setting run — as quick as the car has ever gone. I learn later, through the miracle of data logging, that 1st gear only lasts about one-third of a second and 2nd gear is over before the eighth-mile mark.

I make three more passes in the Challenger, including one early the next morning, with the sun warming the desert track. And it is there, with the lights blinking down the tree, the Challenger's brakes straining against the power of its Hemi V8, and the thousands of Mopars maniacs filling the grandstand, that I find clarity.

My impression of drag racing has been wrong. All wrong. This is cool. And this one-off American muscle car proves it.

Just then the last light turns yellow, so I wood it.

1 - 20 of 502 Posts