NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Volvos aren't even the safest car anymore - pick up this month's consumer reports - they're like 4th, Honda is way the hell up there now in 1st or 2nd - can't remember and too lazy to look.

·
Nerd or die
683 Posts
Volvo C30

I'm very intrigued by this car... anyone driven one yet?

here's the website.

the website is kind of neat... you can turn the headlights on, fog lights on, brake lights, turn signals... if you view the interior, you can make it night, turn ignition on, rev the engine...

the back is kind of ugly IMO, but if i got one, it'd be black... some smoke on those tails would clean it up i think...

·
Super Moderator
44,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Every car review, thus far, I've read, has said this car basically blows. The seating position is horrible and unsupportive and the steering is more numb than a Camry. The top of the line C30 feels lethargic in one review I read. As a former Volvo owner, this car is a complete and total disappointment. I do love the looks, but I think Volvo dropped the ball on this one. If you're considering a Euro hatch, consider the GTI over this.

·
Nerd or die
683 Posts
i watched a few reviews on youtube, and apparently, it's a ford focus ST... so that's a big turn off

but it had 2-tone white and black leather interior... like the new audi S3 was SUPPOSED to have, but doesn't have in america... plus it's a 4-door

·
15,579 Posts
Motor said:
Every car review, thus far, I've read, has said this car basically blows. The seating position is horrible and unsupportive and the steering is more numb than a Camry. The top of the line C30 feels lethargic in one review I read. As a former Volvo owner, this car is a complete and total disappointment. I do love the looks, but I think Volvo dropped the ball on this one. If you're considering a Euro hatch, consider the GTI over this.
Heard the same thing - heard it was numb and boring - go with the GTI or Mini Cooper

PhReEk said:
i watched a few reviews on youtube, and apparently, it's a ford focus ST... so that's a big turn off

but it had 2-tone white and black leather interior... like the new audi S3 was SUPPOSED to have, but doesn't have in america... plus it's a 4-door
The fact that its based on the European Ford Focus ST is NOT a bad thing - because the European Ford Focus ST is based on the Volvo S40/Mazda3 platform (the American Ford Focus is not based on that platform) - this is an excellent chassis to start with. The fact that Volvo engineered numb in gives me little hope for the company amongst anyone but housewives and people with heart problems.

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
I kind of like it, it seems like it would make a good DD. Of course I'm a sucker for euro hatches.

·
Nerd or die
683 Posts
but surely there are things you can do to fix that... it's a turbo I-5 0-60 in 6.2, that's not exactly slow... and can be had for 23K ? if it's based on the ST, and the mazda 3, surely there will be suspension parts out for it very soon, i noticed they already have lowering springs available on the website as an option... and they're using the turbo I-5 in the focus ST so performance mods will be right around the corner...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
marc said:
The fact that its based on the European Ford Focus ST is NOT a bad thing - because the European Ford Focus ST is based on the Volvo S40/Mazda3 platform (the American Ford Focus is not based on that platform) - this is an excellent chassis to start with.
:werd:

·
Registered
182 Posts
looks great, drives like crap. I went with a buddy to test drive one last weekend, he was so sad, he really wanted this car but it was flat out not as good as a GTi, MS3 or A3

·
15,579 Posts
PhReEk said:
but surely there are things you can do to fix that... it's a turbo I-5 0-60 in 6.2, that's not exactly slow... and can be had for 23K ? if it's based on the ST, and the mazda 3, surely there will be suspension parts out for it very soon, i noticed they already have lowering springs available on the website as an option... and they're using the turbo I-5 in the focus ST so performance mods will be right around the corner...
A) I5s are vibration machines - the turbo probably smooths it out a little bit but once you start modding it you're definitely going to feel what you're dealing with. But if I know one thing, its that Volvos can take a **** ton of boost.
www.turbobricks.com

B) Any of those factory customizations actually cost a $300 "customization" surcharge. Volvo is not Scion.

C) You're going to have to pull out the car's steering rack and replace it with a faster one to really see anything appreciably affecting the car's character.

·
Registered
182 Posts
when i was in it i had the distinct feeling this is not a "car person" car, its a car for people who like to look sporty and for whom a sense of european continental style is important, but would have otherwise bought some predictable front driver like a corolla or civic.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts