1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
complete article
Dare To Compare

Are We Ever Going To Choose a Winner?

When the 2008 BMW 135i came to us, we found it to be one of the purest expressions of the BMW character since the 1971 BMW 2002 tii. Now that the novelty has worn off a bit and we've driven one for close to 15,000 miles, we still think it's a brilliant car. With a long-legged engine that's as happy at 2,000 rpm as it is at 7,000 rpm, this BMW is destined to continue to win comparison tests and conquest buyers for years to come.

The 2009 Nissan 370Z achieves the same sort of thing on the Nissan side. It's so improved in every way over the 350Z that it comes off like a completely different car. Think of the 350Z as a really long prototyping program or maybe an elaborate focus group process. It might have taken six years to work out the kinks, but man, was it worth it. It is both sports car and sport coupe, just as in Mr. K's original concept for the 1970 Datsun 240Z and very much as the BMW M3 has evolved. And it wins this comparison test.

We'll even go so far as to say that the 2009 Nissan 370Z now raises the standard for the sport coupe segment to a new level of affordable excellence. Its accessible performance alone is worthy of status as a benchmark. Its looks alone will bring people to a Nissan showroom. And the combination of the Z-car's reasonable price and fuel -efficiency (22 mpg EPA combined) will certainly get your attention.

The 2009 Nissan 370Z has the whole benchmark package wrapped up with a bow: price, exterior design, interior packaging, performance, features and that X-factor that makes you just want to go out and drive one, and drive it hard. Thinking of the Z-car as a sports car is one thing, but we can honestly say that there's not another sport coupe that can touch the new Z. Dare to compare.

Yeah, whatever, I'll take the Z.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't like the look of how part of the body pokes into the headlights on the Z, everything else about it is pretty sick though!!!

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
I don't like the look of how part of the body pokes into the headlights on the Z, everything else about it is pretty sick though!!!
it would have been too celica like if they hadn't :chuckles:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
not really if the intruding part were a part of the headlight it would have made it more roundish and more datsunesque than it already is which would have been even better than what it is now.

·
Super Moderator
45,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
370Z vs. 135i, RX-8 R3, and Solstice GXP

complete article
Name your game for $37,000 (or less).

Fourth place: 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Highs: High curbside wattage, best fuel economy, smooth ride quality.

Lows: Undersuspended for track-day trials, needs a six-speed, wind noise at high speeds.

The Verdict: The eyes have it. All of it.

Third place: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3

Highs: Balletic racetrack grace, loves the twisties, never-fade brakes, holds four.

Lows: Chronic anemia, fuel thirst, a noisy interior, hints of a harsh ride.

The Verdict: A great chassis that

·
Registered
345 Posts
looks like some dumb bitch is driving :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Agree with all. Or maybe I would put the RX8 second since it is the R3...

My question is... if Marc was able to turbo charge the engine without loosing much milleage per tank, why wouldnt mazda do it?
Agreed it would be more expensive, but that is the only downside people seems to find on that car...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I'd rank them the same too. The comment about the R3 is spot on, a chassis that's faster than the engine. Give it a 300hp engine with some decent torque and it'll be set.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd rank them the same too. The comment about the R3 is spot on, a chassis that's faster than the engine. Give it a 300hp engine with some decent torque and it'll be set.
The you would loose the ratio and low center of gravity.

Unless you turbocharge the rotary, which in my opinion, would be the best option.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That's what I was thinking about.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I think if Mazda bumped up to a 1.6L rotary with direct injection, they wouldn't add too much weight

In fact - this is the rumor - 300 hp from their new rotary motor coming out due to more displacement and direct injection (which will also give it a hell of a lot more midrange power).

I like the new Z a lot, I plan on driving one (and one of the two GT-Rs we have here - my buddy does all the buying for the Nissan dealership) when the weather gets good. Would I buy it? No. I'm a badge snob with a particular hatred of Nissans.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Hmm no points for MSRP?

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
I'd get the R3 and slap on a decent turbo kit. The 370z is shaping up to be a contender though!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts