NewCelica.org Forum banner

2009 Chevrolet Corvette / Z06 / ZR1 (C6)

35K views 439 replies 75 participants last post by  Motor 
#1 ·
#5 ·
It probably really bulges like that due to the blower they've strapped to that behemoth 6 liter engine...Wow Chevy isn't ****ing around man...If the zo6 is already running 11's...This car just has me glued to the news about it...low 10 second factory car with a warranty with a price tag that other supercars wouldn't dare dream of sporting due to the insult it would mean to their name...

#12 ·
Red Falcon said:
Carbonized_GT said:
i still find it ugly.
:whogives: After seeing the sticker price and performance numbers, good luck finding anything that can come close in that price range (Besides the exige S on some tracks)

Can I get a testrdrive please?!?!
How about a picture of the interior where you spend the majority of the time in the car. The Corvette still has an interior that rivals that of a Crapolier. Whenever I hear/see Corvette in my mind its a dressed up Camaro.

Oh, and those numbers are great... for the track. I have personally never tracked any of my cars. And I dont think a Corvette would change that.

#13 ·
Red Falcon said:
I eagerly await the GT-R performance numbers/nurburgring nordschleife time to see how it stacks up to this beast.
Nissan won't rival this car...I doubt it...especially not with that 3.5l TT setup...no I don't think so...

Blown 6.0l > Turboed 3.5l

#15 ·
lVlemphizStylez said:
Nissan won't rival this car...I doubt it...especially not with that 3.5l TT setup...no I don't think so...

Blown 6.0l > Turboed 3.5l
It's actually a 3.8 liter. It won't be powered by a VQ. It's powered by a totally new platform, it will be called the VR. And there will be some factory GT-R's availabe that will come tuned up to 500 hp. I think they will be called the EVO model and not have back seats. If I am wrong, please correct me. This is what I remember from the GT-R forum within www.my350z.com, which keeps pretty good tabs on the GT-R.

And as far as performance goes...I'm honestly just going to classify this Corvette SS along with the Mustang Cobras. Why? By the time you add a tighter pulley, bolt ons, and a ECU reflash/tune...it will be an insanely high hp RWD beast. But once you up the boost to the GT-R, add bolt ons, and stiffen the suspension, it'll be an AWD beast that can still stick to the ground.

marc said:
Rumors have it that the GT-R is a sub 8-minute lap time
There was a thread about it on www.my350z.com. Not sure if it's true though.

#16 ·
500 hp huh?? And that's supposed to be the "performance model with no backseats" that's going to rival the blown 6 liter??..isn't that what the zo6 does now...hmm yea I'll stand by my statement...Seeing as this is going to sport more HP and weigh less than the current zo6...If anything by that 500 hp mark on the top model "Hypeline" it's in line to compete with the current zo6...Not this supercharged zo6 on steroids...

#17 ·
I found the post. It was made by one of the most important moderators in my350z.com:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3834622#post3834622

mhoward1 said:
The GTR is expected to be available in three different model levels. Base level will be a 480hp twin-turbo V6 engine in the standard base GTR as well as the middle level GTR V-Spec. They will be priced at roughly $57,000 and $67,000 respectively. The range topping EVO version with the same VQHRTT engine as the standard and V-Spec models gets a power increase up to 530hp while losing 220 lbs. from the body for an unbelievably inexpensive price of $94,000.
Of course this is unofficial. But at hp levels as high as these...AWD sounds nice.

#18 ·
500 CRANK hp awd sounds entertaining yes...But for 100k in a Nissan??? No...sorry...That 100k car is probably going to have a similar output at the wheel of the current 60k zo6...I don't see that thing competing with the Big Daddy SS Vette, not in the power department, nor in the Bang per Buck department.....Of course all my comments are geared towards the 1/4 mile aspects of these cars...I don't follow road racing..It may own the SS there, but I couldn't care any less..I drive around in a Neon, and before that a 400whp FWD car...Auto-crossing and road racing never concerned me

#19 ·
In that case, then yes. The Corvette SS will totally PWN. But at that point...I'd just procharge oldschool American muscle if I wanted to go fast in a strait line instead of spending a ton of money on new American muscle that can actually take turns. And even then, the Corvette SS will still take quite some mods to get deep into the 9's. Here's what a procharger centrifugal superchargers can do to oldschool American muscle:

This is why all my Guyanese import loving speed demon uncles are now switching over to buying American muscle.

#20 ·
wow 55 mph trap damn...But the SS is a good option of someone wanting that oldschool muscle with a Warranty ;-)...When it's new car time, the SS is going to take the thunder from a lot of cars in it's class...and quite a few above it too...I'm predicting mid to high 10's for the new SS vette off the factory floor...You'd be hard-pressed to find another car off the factory floor that does that..that doesn't cost damn near half a million or more than a million dollars

#22 ·
lVlemphizStylez said:
500 hp huh?? And that's supposed to be the "performance model with no backseats" that's going to rival the blown 6 liter??..isn't that what the zo6 does now...hmm yea I'll stand by my statement...Seeing as this is going to sport more HP and weigh less than the current zo6...If anything by that 500 hp mark on the top model "Hypeline" it's in line to compete with the current zo6...Not this supercharged zo6 on steroids...
because horsepower isn't the end all be all of performance

realize a 3800 lb 500 hp 3000GT VR-4 will run 10s while a 3400 lb 700 hp Supra will run 11s - traction is an issue.

ALSO - consider the LS1 Camaro was actually faster than the LS1 Corvette, despite weighing 200 more lbs and making 50 less horsepower, because the Camaro had a solid rear axle - better for launching.

The same thinking applies at the track.
A car with AWD that shifts from wheel to wheel and front to back, with a RWD bias, and active/4-wheel steering won't need as much power. How do you think an Elise can post a similar lap time to a Corvette with less than half the horsepower?

#23 · (Edited)
you're talking about lap times..I'm talking about trap speeds and 1/4 mile numbers..I'll take the same price or maybe even cheaper 600+ hp (low estimate) SS Vette over the 100k 500 hp Hypeline..Cause nothing is going to make me smile harder than when I'm on I-95 and the Hypeline owner knows he just dropped a lot more money than me to get his ass waxed on I-95 if I choose to do so...And yes traction is important, but the lord saw it fit to grace the automotive world with Slicks...And believe me that AWD isn't going to have that much leverage when the power difference between the two is probably going to be fairly significant...Throw slicks on a RWD car, it's not going to grip harder than AWD but lets not kid ourselves and act as if they are helpless...

#24 ·
lVlemphizStylez said:
you're talking about lap times..I'm talking about trap speeds and 1/4 mile numbers..I'll take the same price or maybe even cheaper 600+ hp (low estimate) SS Vette over the 100k 500 hp Hypeline
You call it the hipeline before you even see it's 1/4, 0-60, Nurburgring time, skidpad numbers...

And to the part you just added...

You yourself said anyone can shift. That's all their is to highway racing. It's about 10% drive skill and 90% the car.

Also like you said, your 60ft time reflects driver skill, unlike being able to successfully shift up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.