NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
52,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Drive: 2009 Hyundai Genesis
Luxury by Numbers: On paper, the Genesis is all the luxury car you need

Hyundai has big plans for its rear-drive platform, including the upcoming BK sport coupe. And it has big plans for its somewhat ill-timed V-8. Dong-Jin Kim, Hyundai's vice chairman and CEO, says 4.6 liters is the small end; the engine can be bored and stroked up to 5.5 liters, which will serve nicely in the not-for-U.S. long-wheelbase Genesis, eight inches longer than the standard sedan and two inches longer than the front-drive Equus V-8 it replaces. The 4.6 will get gas direct-injection in a couple of years, pushing horsepower past 400, Kim says. Hyundai would have to raise the BK coupe's hood to fit the Tau, "and why would we?" he asks. The BK V-6 "leaves a lot of room for the tuning guys."

Finally, Hyundai has added the Chrysler 300C and Pontiac G8 GT to the Genesis V-8's competitive set. This makes infinitely more sense than comparing the car with Mercedes and Lexus-the American cars are scratching and clawing for respect in their own country, where German icons and Japanese perfectionists rule the big luxury-car segment. The Hyundai Genesis will do well in a new, little sub-segment heretofore to be called "value-priced luxury cars." Next to the Yank tanks, though, its bigger numbers don't feel big enough to propel the car past your expectations of the Hyundai brand.

·
Super Moderator
52,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Full Test: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan
This Is Just the Beginning

What Works

Smooth and powerful V8 engine, comfortable ride, features and options galore, value on top of value.

What Needs Work
Convincing luxury-sedan buyers to visit a Hyundai dealership.

Bottom Line
Your socks had better be firmly affixed or the Genesis will blow them clean off; there isn't a better rear-wheel-drive sport sedan for the money.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I thought it wasn't a sport sedan according to the first review . . . . but then, it is in the second?

which is it Edmunds? can't make up your mind eh?

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
hyundai is making some big steps, i think the release of the new styles sonata that is currently out is selling great and is a nice car as i checked my friends out who recently bought one, and i think with the new genesis sedan and genesis coupe you will start to see a real growth in the hyundai name.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
No surprised there, Hyundai is becoming a carbon copy of Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
52,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update!

Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to Get New 429-Horsepower 5.0L V-8
According to our sources in South Korea, Hyundai is developing a new 5.0-liter V-8 Tau variant that will see duty in both the upcoming flagship Equus sedan as well as revamped version of the current Genesis sedan. With 429 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque, the new engine's output is impressive to say the least.

The new engine is expected to arrive in early 2011 in the 2012 models, replacing the current 375-horsepower 4.6-liter V-8, which will no longer be offered. While the new 5.0-liter engine shares the same architecture with the current mill, direct-injection technology, a bore increase, and a compression ratio bumped to 11.5:1 all help account for the estimated performance advantage. An eight-speed automatic that was designed and built in-house at Hyundai will be paired to the engine for maximum efficiency, helping to bump fuel economy roughly 1 mpg to just over 26 mpg (8.9 liters/100km) despite the new engine's increased power.

Hyundai will be also likely be bringing a new 3.3-liter direct-injected V-6 to the U.S. that puts out 282 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque. It, too, will come with the new eight-speed automatic and is likely to replace the current 3.8-liter V-6 found in the Genesis and Genesis Coupe.
Will the new 5.0 V8 go into the Genesis Coupe?

·
Can't touch this.
3,629 Posts
Put it in the coupe and it would be interested. No one is really going to car about that in a sedan like that. Especially a Hyundai.

·
New Mexico Representative
770 Posts
2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1102_2011_hyundai_genesis_sedan/index.html

The real news for the 2012 Genesis is the R-Spec model. Its 5.0-liter V-8 makes 429 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 376 pound-feet of torque at 5000 rpm. This latest version of Hyundai's Tau V-8 has a revised bed plate to improve block rigidity and lower NVH-both important considerations since the engine also replaces the 4.6-liter V-8 in the larger 2012 Equus.

Not bad in my opinion. Id drive it.

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
ever notice Hyundais never really have a unique look?? They look like some abortion between multiple car models...whenever I see one I never know what it is until I see the fake Bentley badge or the Hyundai badge. It's like the the guys at Hyundai roll through every make and model picking headlights..bumpers...tails...sides...exhaust etc until they make up a new car

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
i like it, although it does share resemblances to many cars
this will definitely replace the Chrysler 300 as being the poor mans luxury car. I would drive one of these for sure

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
ever notice Hyundais never really have a unique look?? They look like some abortion between multiple car models...whenever I see one I never know what it is until I see the fake Bentley badge or the Hyundai badge. It's like the the guys at Hyundai roll through every make and model picking headlights..bumpers...tails...sides...exhaust etc until they make up a new car

Itried putting some of that in picture. Of course there's a bit for Infiniti G, Acura RL and Benz E-class in there too.

·
New Mexico Representative
770 Posts
I personally love how the front came out.

..they need to stop messin' around and get this in the coupe, that would be tits.
i feel you here 100%. Would give Hyundai one sick sports car

1 - 20 of 21 Posts