NewCelica.org Forum banner

41 - 60 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,005 Posts
As a former Z owner, IMO humble opinion, Nissan destroyed the Z with the decision to use its engine in almost every high end vehicle in their line, including their Infiniti division. There is absolutely nothing about the car that makes it stand out anymore. The fact that the "G" is essentially a fancier Z just irks me beyond belief. Combine that with the fact that some high end Maxima or Altima essentially has your engine, it just makes you wonder.. WTF is the point?

The Z should be a shiny rock in Nissan's crown, like it used to be. Instead, its just a car that can't decide if its a true sports car, or just a bad decision when you can have extra seats, AWD, or a nicer interior with the companies other options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,703 Posts
Seems like for a while there every Nissan had a 3.5L engine, either standard or as an option: Z, Murano, Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, Quest. Then all the Infinity's. Were they all derivatives of the same engine?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,005 Posts
2000 XYR said:
Seems like for a while there every Nissan had a 3.5L engine, either standard or as an option: Z, Murano, Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, Quest. Then all the Infinity's. Were they all derivatives of the same engine?
You betcha. Still are.
 

·
Oh Hai
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
just a random question though, are all current 350z two seaters? or is there one with 4 seats?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,520 Posts
static said:
As a former Z owner, IMO humble opinion, Nissan destroyed the Z with the decision to use its engine in almost every high end vehicle in their line, including their Infiniti division. There is absolutely nothing about the car that makes it stand out anymore. The fact that the "G" is essentially a fancier Z just irks me beyond belief. Combine that with the fact that some high end Maxima or Altima essentially has your engine, it just makes you wonder.. WTF is the point?

The Z should be a shiny rock in Nissan's crown, like it used to be. Instead, its just a car that can't decide if its a true sports car, or just a bad decision when you can have extra seats, AWD, or a nicer interior with the companies other options.
It's always nice to point out to Z owners that they share their motor with a minivan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
2000 XYR said:
Seems like for a while there every Nissan had a 3.5L engine, either standard or as an option: Z, Murano, Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, Quest. Then all the Infinity's. Were they all derivatives of the same engine?
The Infiniti variants are the same 3.5L VQ as well. It's a great engine, but I agree they should have come up with something a little more distinct for a "sports car". But I guess to Nissan has the mentality of "why mess with a good thing..." Same thing is happening with the 3.7L as well. I'm sure within 2 years all their V6's will have that as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
neological said:
It's always nice to point out to Z owners that they share their motor with a minivan.

Not only the engine makes the car. Not that the rest of the car is the greatest design ever, but still you cannot compare an altima with a Z just because they share an engine.

If you put a dedicated engine on a car, the car will have a higher price, and then, it wont sell so many units.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
44,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Burrcold said:
2000 XYR said:
Seems like for a while there every Nissan had a 3.5L engine, either standard or as an option: Z, Murano, Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, Quest. Then all the Infinity's. Were they all derivatives of the same engine?
The Infiniti variants are the same 3.5L VQ as well. It's a great engine, but I agree they should have come up with something a little more distinct for a "sports car". But I guess to Nissan has the mentality of "why mess with a good thing..." Same thing is happening with the 3.7L as well. I'm sure within 2 years all their V6's will have that as well.
agreed. it boils down to two words: cost cutting. there's no reason to invest millions in r&d just to create a unique engine for each car. it makes more sense to have a base engine and create weaker/stronger variations of that power plant. the same goes with the chassis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Years ago I owned a 1973 300Z with three carbs, and mechanically it was bullet proof before it rusted out*sigh*. It was a great car to own. I've heard that the current 350Z's brakes wear out early, and when you have to replace them, you have to replace the rotors too, upsetting many current owners.
 

·
Boobze
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Motor said:
Meh, for some reason the only vert's I like are roadsters, everything else just seems ugly.
neological said:
static said:
As a former Z owner, IMO humble opinion, Nissan destroyed the Z with the decision to use its engine in almost every high end vehicle in their line, including their Infiniti division. There is absolutely nothing about the car that makes it stand out anymore. The fact that the "G" is essentially a fancier Z just irks me beyond belief. Combine that with the fact that some high end Maxima or Altima essentially has your engine, it just makes you wonder.. WTF is the point?

The Z should be a shiny rock in Nissan's crown, like it used to be. Instead, its just a car that can't decide if its a true sports car, or just a bad decision when you can have extra seats, AWD, or a nicer interior with the companies other options.
It's always nice to point out to Z owners that they share their motor with a minivan.
And we celica owners share our engine with a lotus and a somewhat minivan.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
44,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Z
While all the buzz at Nissan has recently centered on the GT-R, the Tokyo-based company has quietly been working on the next-generation Z. We knew months ago that the 350Z would undergo a significant makeover, but now our friends at Mag X, Japan's leading car spy magazine, uncovered key elements in the upcoming Z's styling along with providing vital information.

The first thing you notice when looking at the new Z is the headlights. They're an odd "V" shape, which creates a "squinting" effect. But the face is now more distinctive than before. Also adding spice to the new-look Z are "fangs." These body-colored dividers are incorporated inside the grille to separate the air going to the radiator and the brake vents.

The overall shape and profile of the new Z will remain relatively unchanged. However, it will be slightly smaller than the current car, measuring roughly 163 in. from bumper to bumper, about 6.5 in. shorter than today's 350Z. Interior space will stay the same, but the car will weigh some 200 lb. less, tipping the scales at about 3010 lb.

What this means is the new Z will be a rocket. A reliable source in Japan has told us it will be powered by a 3.7-liter V-6, the same engine used in the Infiniti G37 coupe, with output bumped to 350 bhp at 6500 rpm and torque to about 280 lb.-ft. at 4500. This new power-to-weight ratio for the "370Z" will allow the car to reach 60 mph in less than 5.0 seconds, and should give the Porsche Cayman S a run for its money around any racetrack.

Oh, and speaking of money, there are rumors that the price tag will also increase, probably north of the $35,000 mark. The 370Z will make its world debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this November and go on sale in the U.S. in early 2009.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Finally, a car that goes on a diet :thumbup:. Hopefully what Mag X had to say is some what true. I'm really not feeling the new bumper and the headlights, though it's nothing the aftermarket can't handle.
 
41 - 60 of 417 Posts
Top