NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Alfa revealed
Not the Milano: the Alfa Romeo Giulietta hot hatch to replace the ancient 147

It was probably worth the wait, though. While it’ll be made in five-door form only, that’s no bad thing, as the styling is pretty smart. Alfa’s now regular tucked-away rear door handles feature to give a more coupe-like appearance, while the rear end is particularly pretty. There are inklings of the Mito supermini up front – a good or bad thing, depending on whether you love or hate Alfa’s Mini rival – and the grille is particularly dominant. A set of seemingly de rigueur daytime-running LEDs are also present.

Four engines will be available from launch, all of them turbocharged. There are two petrols, a 118bhp 1.4-liter TB and 168bhp 1.4 Multiair TB, and two JTDM diesels, a 104bhp 1.6 and 168bhp 2-liter. They go on sale in the UK next summer, while a range-topping 232bhp 1750 TBi Cloverleaf will join the range in the autumn.

All will be front-wheel drive, with an all-new chassis platform to make it (hopefully) a belter to drive. The DNA adjustable dynamics system from the Mito is present, as is Alfa’s trick Q2 electronic differential.

Beautiful car. I hope we get this as a re-badged Fiat.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I'd rock it.

I really like the rear and interior.

·
Super Moderator
45,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update!

New Alfa 'better than Focus, Golf'
The Alfa Romeo Giulietta will be quieter and better-riding than a VW Golf, and more agile than a Ford Focus, according to its makers.

For comparison tests, Alfa engineers chose the model they feel marks the “sweet spot” in the range, the 170bhp turbocharged MultiAir 1.4 liter with twin-clutch paddle-shift gearbox.

Priced similarly to VW Golf’s range, the Giulietta is likely to follow the same three-tier line-up (Touring, Lusso and Veloce) as the Mito, though there will be an even zippier 1.8-liter, 235 hp Cloverleaf version at the very top. Most models will be in British showrooms by June.

The new chassis on which the Giulietta is based is also earmarked for a range of Fiat-Chrysler group vehicles that will eventually include sports cars, 4x4 saloons and SUVs.

:drool:

·
Super Moderator
45,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - new pics
Alfa plans to launch the Giulietta in Italy in late March. The UK launch will coincide with the Goodwood Festival of Speed in June, where Alfa Romeo will be the featured marque.

The car will be made as a five-door only. It features a Golf-sized rear compartment but a coupe-like roofline and disguised rear door handles (as used on the 147) to enhance its sporting credentials. The shape draws obvious influence from both the outgoing 147 and the new Mito supermini, but it looks more modern than either.

It has the most striking three-dimensional version of Alfa’s shield grille yet, supported by two prominent lower lateral air intakes. The muscular sculpting of the body sides leads to prominent rear haunches, with twin exhausts and a diffuser beneath a rear panel whose LED tail-lights echo shapes pioneered in the 156.

Suspension is MacPherson struts at the front and a new multi-link design at the rear.

Inside, the Giulietta echoes the twin-binnacle, driver-oriented fascia design that Alfas have traditionally used, but with the familiar centre stack replaced with a simplified, lateral panel. The interior uses novel trim textures and body-coloured metal to signify a change from Alfa traditions.

A range of the Fiat Group’s transversely mounted four-cylinder diesel and petrol engines, all turbocharged, will drive the front wheels, ranging from a 120bhp 1.4-litre petrol to a 170bhp 2.0-litre diesel. Later next year there will be a 230bhp Cloverleaf model.

All Giuliettas will eventually be available with Fiat’s Multiair electro-hydraulic valve actuation. And all get automatic stop-start as standard.

The line-up will feature five and six-speed manual gearboxes, but Fiat is working on a semi-auto twin-clutch alternative. The cars will get Alfa’s DNA suspension and engine settings system.

There's no way I would buy a Golf over this.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I really like how they hid the rear door handles.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Does anyone know if/when Alfa is making its return to the US? Its already been pushed forward two years and I don't know if I can wait any longer.

·
Super Moderator
45,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know if/when Alfa is making its return to the US? Its already been pushed forward two years
Fiat makes their debut at the tail-end of 2010 or early 2011. Alfa is supposedly coming a year after that in 2012, or mid-2011.

:shrugs: Your guess is good as mines.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
FIAT has put Alfa under strategic review - so if they survive, maybe we'll get them by 2012 or so.

Any word yet on giving this thing a real engine?

·
Super Moderator
45,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FR6_xwfcHyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FR6_xwfcHyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

·
Super Moderator
45,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update!

First Drive Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Should I buy one?

Yes-ish. Alfa Romeo ownership once carried a good deal of baggage. Reliability and customer service were not always strong suits. But the company has been overhauling its dealerships and procedures, and new generation owners say it’s working.

All Giulietta models, including the Cloverleaf, will be in showrooms by the summer. Alfa won’t yet quote prices except that they’ll start around

1 - 20 of 36 Posts