NewCelica.org Forum banner

61 - 80 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Wow, M5 looks dope as always. Even M5 in E60 body style looks good.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
It probably will have some of variant of the X5/6M engine.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Update!

Racing Dynamics offers extensive program for 2011 BMW 5 Series
Their first focus will be on adding extra power to the the already powerful 550i. Powered by the V8 twin-turbo engine, the 550i normally outputs 407 horsepower, but Racing Dynamics plans to take their 550i R50S model to an incredible 620 horsepower. Along with the substantial power increase, a new rear-locking differential, sport suspension and high performance braking system is being offered as well.

The BMW 535i is not being forgotten and dubbed R35 featuring the new N55 single-turbo twin-scroller engine, will receive an extra boost to produce 410 horsepower, up from its 306 horsepower in standard form. The maximum torque is increased to a remarkable 530Nm (383.5 lb-ft) and the 0 to 62 mph is now achieved in 5.3 seconds, seven tenths faster than the the regular model.

To adjust the acoustics to the increased potency of R50S and R35, there is also a special exhaust system installed by Racing Dynamics that has been optimized with the help of expensive tests. The result? A much sportier sound, but not intrusive.

The aforementioned locking differential provides increased traction with a variable blocking effect from 0 to 80 percent.

The extensively revised suspension system includes two gas struts for the front axle and a pair of gas-pressurized shock absorbers for the rear. In the development process, great importance was attached to obtain in addition to high driving dynamics and comfort at an acceptable balance. The complete system ensures that the sedan sits 35 millimeters closer to road.

In addition to the driving dynamics, a great emphasis was placed on improving the braking performance – understandable at a top speed of 340 km / h for the R50S. The brake system is designed to provide fading delay and high reliability even at red-hot brake discs and brake temperature of 800 degrees Celsius. Specific weight-slotted brake discs with four-or six-piston calipers are combined.

Another highlight of the Racing Dynamics models are the lightweight 21″ one-piece forged wheels.
:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Update!

BMW M5
New F10 super saloon scooped

BMW will launch the new M5 in 2011, the super saloon variant of the F10-series new 5-series family.

• 4.4-litre V8 bi-turbo
• 578bhp, 530lb ft
• 155mph limited top speed
• 0-62mph 4.4sec
• Unlimited top speed 188mph

That direct-injection 4.4 lump is the same engine you'll find under the hood of the X5 M and X6 M, but further tweaked by M Division to liberate more power. Forced induction makes it the first M saloon to be turbocharged.

Yes, even BMW's fastest saloon now concentrates on lowering its CO2. Internal targets are gunning for a 30% drop in emissions and consumption.

<object style="width:600;height:450"><param name="movie" value="http://static.issuu.com/webembed/viewers/style1/v1/IssuuViewer.swf?mode=embed&documentId=091214121408-64f134ba9d4747a3b572c3789c3eeebf&documentUsername=sjharrison13&documentName=carmagjan2010&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Flight%2Flayout.xml&showFlipBtn=true" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://static.issuu.com/webembed/viewers/style1/v1/IssuuViewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" style="width:600;height:450" flashvars="mode=embed&documentId=091214121408-64f134ba9d4747a3b572c3789c3eeebf&documentUsername=sjharrison13&documentName=carmagjan2010&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Flight%2Flayout.xml&showFlipBtn=true" /></object>

:drool:

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Update!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gR4986Y9g_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gR4986Y9g_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrzmf2TNUiY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrzmf2TNUiY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1N6KS_0_s3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1N6KS_0_s3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

First Drive: 2011 BMW 5-Series
Automobile: FULL STORY
As an evolutionary design, the new 5 seems to ignore the previous-generation car and jump back to the 1995-2003 E39-series for inspiration. The kidney grilles are more rectangular, and the headlights are less stretched back. Recalling the original 1972 car, the front fascia is slightly canted forward, a look that worked much better on the crisper shapes of that era. The character line has also been lowered, cutting through the door handles. In all, it’s more conservative than last year’s 5, but also more attractive in our opinion.

This car has range

The new 5-series continues to pack some of the best adaptive controls that allow an impressive spectrum of behavior from comfort to sport. It’s comfortable for commuting and competent on the track. For that range of capability, the 5-series is a standout in its class and in the entire automotive market.

The first 5s will arrive in the U.S. in mid-June with rear-wheel drive in either 535i or 550i trim. All-wheel-drive variants and the 528i will arrive in the fall. While pricing hasn’t been announced, expect a 535i to start near current stickers, in the mid-$50,000s.
BMW 535i: A Flash Drive
AW: FULL STORY
In fact, the one fundamental change in character that immediately captured my attention is its apparent calmness. I worried that the sportiness that has been a hallmark of the 5-series may have been compromised.

Those worries were put to rest when I found a challenging coastal road. The combination of steered front wheels and counter-steering rear wheels greatly reduces the work rate for the driver. Even on winding roads, you rarely need to call up more than a quarter-turn of the steering wheel.

Do I want it?

It'd certainly be in the running if my bank manager ever gave the go-ahead--not that he's likely to anytime soon!

When you line it up against the Mercedes-Benz E-class, Audi A6, Jaguar XF and Cadillac CTS, the new 5-series looks to have the edge in some, if not all, areas. It is not a car that immediately hits you between the eyes--it requires familiarity and lots of miles over varying roads before the full breadth of its qualities begin to shine through.

Having only driven a fully loaded 355i, I'd like more experience with the rest of the lineup and time with 335i equipped with conventional steering before I could say with any great certainty that BMW has once again raised the bar in the sport sedan game. One thing's for sure--this is a different kind of 5-series.
2011 BMW 5-series / 535i - First Drive Review
Tailored styling and traditional BMW dynamics make the new 5 a winner.
C/D: FULL STORY

The new 5 does a nice job masking its size and mass—after all, the wheelbase has grown by three inches and total length by 1.5 inches. Compared with its predecessor, the excessive self-confidence is gone, the new car looks more sleek and, to be blunt, less nonsensical. Plus, to quote van Hooydonk once more: "The 5-series is designed to express autobahn speed even when standing still."

Layer After Layer of Nannies—Just Check the Boxes

Even given all the electronic nannies, the new 5-series has us convinced. It's luxurious, stylish, and fantastic to drive. The car's main competitors are, naturally, the Mercedes-Benz E-class and the Audi A6; the Benz is a softer luxo-cruiser in comparison, while the Audi is more parallel in mission. (A new A6 launches next year—the current car toppled the 535i in a recent comparison test, so we're already anxious to pit this new 5 against that new A6.) Pricing for the U.S. has not been announced yet, figure on a modest increase over the current 535i, which starts at $52,125.
2011 BMW 535i First Drive
It's a bigger BMW 5 series, but also a better one.
edmunds: FULL STORY

How important is the 5 Series family to BMW's bottom line? Worldwide, the lineup of these premium executive sedans accounts for just over 50 percent of annual net profits. (Just think of what BMW can do with that money now that its cash-sucking Formula 1 circus act is finally done!) This is also a car that speaks to those who believe in the BMW brand, as 80 percent of 5 Series buyers have owned a BMW already.

Much Good News Coming

When we first saw the 2011 BMW 5 Series, the Munich executives told us that the base price of the 2011 BMW 535i would stay the same as the 2010 BMW 5 Series, which has a base price of $51,250. Well, maybe it was the intoxicating Portuguese sea air, but these same execs have just told us that the decision has been made to price this new and improved 5 Series below the outgoing model. Are we looking at a possible $49,999.99 base price for the 2011 BMW 535i? Wait and see.
2011 BMW 535i - Driving Impressions
The sixth-generation 5 takes a lesson from the 7.
R/T: FULL STORY

Well, for starters, the BMW 535i uses the 7 Series’ architecture and suspension, at the front trading the long-used MacPherson struts for what’s essentially an upper and lower A-arm setup. It also endows the new 5 with a wheelbase of 116.9 in., the longest in its class. There’s a lot of aluminum, in the door skins, hood, front fenders and suspension components. The power steering assist is fully electric, and uses no power whatsoever when the wheel isn’t being moved. And by using the 7 Series’ electrical infrastructure as well, there are high-tech options galore, including an all-new ultrasonic Parking Assistant, Frontal Collision Warning, Active Cruise Control, Blind Spot Warning, Lane Departure Warning, a Head-Up display, Integral Active Steering and BMW Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection. Order the Sport Package (our test cars were so equipped) and all manner of adjustments can be made to throttle response, damping , shift characteristics, steering effort and traction/stability control intervention.

Styling looks edgy and dynamic, kind of a smaller 7 Series with extra attitude, but without the granny-glasses headlights and odd sloping trunk cutline of the 5 it replaces. Deeply sculpted character lines, dramatic LED lighting in every conceivable spot and a bolder version of the double kidney grille make it instantly identifiable as a 5. Inside, there’s slightly more space—BMW claims 0.5 in. more rear seat knee room—and a 4th-generation iDrive interface that can finally be considered user-friendly, showing crisp graphics on an optional 10.2-in. high-resolution screen. The overall feel here is of elegant, sporty evolution, with a simple gloss-black instrument panel being the most striking change.
First Drive: 2011 BMW 5-Series
TCC: FULL STORY
The new 2011 BMW 535i is more of a driver’s car than than the current 2010 5-Series—or most other mid-size luxury sedans—while still upping the technology ante and not forgetting about the comfort and luxury that matters.

iDrive intuitive at last, but plenty more to geek out over

The bottom line is that the new 2011 5-Series feels a little sportier and more expressive than the 5-Series it’s replacing. Those who might have dismissed the 5-Series might owe it to themselves to take a new look at this one. When you take advantage of all of the technical achievements that are available with the Sport Package or as options—you don’t have to drive fast or aggressively to enjoy them—you’re getting a true sport sedan that will make the you, your passengers, and your inner tech geek very satisfied.
Overall, they all like it because it's going to be cheaper to buy, loaded with technology, it drives and looks better than the car it replaces. They don't like the fact that it weighs nearly 4K+lbs.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Update!

BMW M5 muscles in with V8
V10 ditched in favor of twin-turbo V8 in new flagship saloon
FULL STORY

The big story is that the previous car’s naturally aspirated V10 has made way for a direct-injection twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 – an uprated version of the unit in the X6M and X5M. Gone too is the jerky SMG manual box, replaced by a dual-clutch seven-speeder.

Even though it’s lost two cylinders, the new engine will produce more power – at around 570bhp – but emit less CO2. Expect a 0-60mph time of less than 4.5 seconds and a top speed limited to 155mph.

The new M5 is going to be awesome. :drool:

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Update!

<embed src="http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/swf_library/jw/4.5/player-4.5.swf" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="file=http://www.youtube.com/v/HGYPt2i5FyQ&plugins=dcinstream,gapro-1&dcinstream.ad.tag=http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorshows/geneva-motor-show;tile=8;bigad=yes;live=yes;type=article;make=bmw;model=5-series;sz=468x430;ord=8001644133?&dcinstream.ad.position=pre&gapro.accountid=UA-4196386-1&gapro.trackpercentage=true&gapro.tracktime=true&gapro.trackcompletes=true&gapro.trackdetails=true&gapro.trackerror=true&autostart=true" width="406" height="248" />
BMW 5-Series hybrid breaks cover
Wraps come off BMW's latest hybrid concept based on the all-new 5 Series

The Concept ActiveHybrid 5 Series features the latest version of BMW’s modular hybrid drivetrain. Under the bonnet there’s the same 300bhp 3.0-litre straight six that powers the 535i, equipped with a specially-tuned hybrid stop start system. Sandwiched between the engine and eight-speed automatic gearbox is a 54bhp (40kW) electric motor which draws its power from a boot-mounted battery.

An automatic clutch ensures that power is switched seamlessly between the conventional engine and motor, disengaging the power sources as necessary. The hybrid system allows the car to be powered by electricity alone, or use the electric motor and engine in combination to boost performance when accelerating. The motor also acts as a generator on the overrun and when braking, feeding electricity back to the battery.

The hybrid 5 also features intelligent energy management system. Using sensors in the engine and dampers, and taking into account any pre-programmed route in the satnav, the system analyses how the car has been driven and where it’s heading to and works out the most efficient way for the hybrid system to operate.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Update!

The New BMW 5 Series Touring.
• Power units:

BMW 535i Touring: Straight six-cylinder TwinPower Turbo,
direct injection (High Precision Injection) and VALVETRONIC,
Cubic Capacity: 2,979 cc, output: 225 kW/306 bhp at 5,800 rpm,
Maximum torque: 400 Nm at 1,200 – 5, 000 rpm,
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 6.0 (automatic: 6.1) seconds,
Top speed: 250 km/h,
Average fuel consumption according to: 8.6 (automatic: 8.5) litres/100 km,
CO2 emission according to EU: 201 (automatic: 197) g/km,
emission standard: EU5.

BMW 523i Touring: Straight six-cylinder petrol engine with direct injection
(High Precision Injection) in lean operation,
Cubic capacity: 2,996 cc, output: 150 kW/204 bhp at 6,100 rpm,
Maximum torque: 270 Nm at 1,500 – 4, 250 rpm,
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 8.2 (automatic: 8.4) seconds,
Top speed: 231 (automatic: 227) km/h,
Average fuel consumption according to EU: 7.9
(automatic: 7.8) Liter/100 km,
CO2 emission according to EU: 185 (automatic: 182) g/km,

BMW 530d Touring: Straight-six diesel engine with aluminium
crankcase, turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and Common
Rail direct injection (piezo injectors, max. injection pressure: 1,800 bar),
Cubic capacity: 2,993 cc, output: 180 kW/245 bhp at 4, 000 rpm,
Maximum torque: 540 Nm at 1, 750 – 3,000 rpm,
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 6.4 (automatic: 6.4) seconds,
Top speed: 243 (automatic: 242) km/h,
Average fuel consumption according to EU: 6.4
(automatic: 6.3) litres/100 km,
CO2 emission according to EU: 169 (automatic: 165) g/km,

BMW 520d Touring: Four-cylinder diesel engine with aluminium crankcase, turbocharger variable turbine geometry and Common Rail direct
injection (solenoid injectors, max. injection pressure: 1,800 bar),
Cubic capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 135 kW/184 bhp at 4, 000 rpm, Maximum torque: 380 Nm at 1,750 – 2,750 rpm,
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 8.3 (automatic: 8.3) seconds,
Top speed: 222 (automatic: 220) km/h,
Average fuel consumption according to EU: 5.2
(automatic: 5.3) litres/100 km,
CO2 emission according to EU: 137 (automatic: 139) g/km,

That's a damn fine wagon.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Update!

2011 BMW M5 Super Saloon Sheds More Camouflage
Key stylistic highlights of the new M5's look will include the four tailpipes, chunkier front and rear bumper designs, unique exterior mirrors and alloy wheels while there's also talk about a carbon fiber roof and bootlid which should also help reduce weight.

As we've already told you in earlier posts, BMW's new uper saloon will be the first M5 to adopt turbocharging with power coming from a reworked version of the X5 M and X6 M's 4.4-liter bi-turbo V8 that replaces the current model's V10 unit.

Details of the new engine remain secret but it is believed that in the M5, the V8 engine will produce more than the 555HP and 680Nm or 501-lbs/ft of peak torque it does on the X5 M and X6 M, flirting closer to the 600HP mark.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Update!

New Alpina B5 Bi-Turbo Based on 2011 5-Series Coming
Independent BMW customizer Alpina has published the first official sketch of its upcoming B5 Bi-Turbo ahead of the sports saloon world premiere at next month's 'Goodwood Festival of Speed' event in the UK.

As the car's name suggests, the B5 Bi-Turbo is based on the new 2011 BMW 5-Series sedan. So far, Alpina is keeping a tight lid on details about the car, but if the company's previous and current models are anything to go by, then the B5 Bi-Turbo could be all the M5 you'll ever want.

We wouldn't be surprised if the new B5 uses the same twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 engine with an output of 500-horsepower and a hefty 516 lb-ft (700Nm) of torque found under the bonnet of Alpina's 7-Series B7 Bi-Turbo.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Update!

Leaked? 2011 BMW 5 Series M Sport Package Emerges
That BMW would prepare an M Sport package for the 2011 5 Series should be no surprise. German BMW enthusiast Web site Bimmertoday is touting such a kit with scanned images that it claims to have received from a reader. The Web site has cans of what looks to be a catalog advertising the European version, replete with a stunning wagon.

As for whether the package will make it stateside, or if it's real, we're awaiting confirmation.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Update!

2011 BMW 5-Series Sedan with M Sport Package: First Photos
The first real-life photos of the 2011 BMW 5-Series sedan [F10] spiced up with the new M Sports Package were leaked on the web today. Previously seen on the 5-Series Touring through some brochure shots, the package adds numerous bits such as a typical M style front bumper, more aggressive side skirts a subtle boot lid spoiler, rear diffuser finished in a dark shade, chrome tail pipes and satin-finished chrome door sills.

Buyers also appear to have the option of two different alloy wheels, the 18-inch multi spoke 350Ms with 245/45 R18 tires and the 19-inch double spoke 351Ms shod in 245/40 R19 tires.

:drool:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
(unless you spring for an M, which is slower than a chipped version of the standard car in a strait line).
Possibly fixed :) Not sure about 5 series, but that would still be inaccurate in let say 335i vs M3 case.

·
Super Moderator
43,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Update!

Alpina's BMW M5 rival revealed
The B5 uses a tuned version of BMW's 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 powerplant, producing 500bhp and 516 lb ft of torque. That's enough, claims Alpina, for a 0-62mph time of 4.7sec and a top speed of 191mph.

Alpina often shies away from using the same powerplants as M division models, but barring some differences in the inlet system, the B5 will go head to head with the forthcoming M5 on engine choice. Its transmission will be totally different, though; the B5 uses a modified version of ZF's eight-speed automatic gearbox, whereas the M5 is widely tipped to use a dual-clutch unit.

Alpina claims the B5 offers class-leading fuel economy and CO2 emissions, at 26.1mpg (combined) and 252g/km respectively.

It's a beauty.

61 - 80 of 198 Posts