NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 466 Posts

·
Super Moderator
48,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Camaro Convertible
Chevy follows well-worn path to success

When Chevrolet revealed its stunning Camaro coupe concept at last January’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit, General Motors only left one question unanswered.

No, we’re not talking about whether GM would approve production of the back-from-the-dead pony car—that was a given, at least unofficially, before the car even rolled onto the show stage. The bigger question was how Chevy planned to sustain interest in its all-new muscle machine for three years between the reveal and the projected early-2009 on-sale date.

·
I'm back :)
2,963 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Either that's some serious lens distortion or that thing needs a nose job. :ugh:
i was thinking the exact same thing. i liked the older concept that resembled the cadillac xlr but the front end of this one is way too tall

·
Super Moderator
48,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro
Next generation of classic sport coupe goes into production in late 2008, on sale in 2009; will be almost identical to wildly popular concept unveiled at NAIAS

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced today that GM will build an all-new version of the Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe based on the award-winning concept that stole the spotlight at the North American International Auto Show and has ignited the passion of car enthusiasts around the world ever since – even spurring consumers to start petition drives and send in certified checks in hopes of placing early deposits.

“The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the Camaro Concept continues to remind me of the uniquely iconic place our products can have in customers’ hearts,” Wagoner said. “Camaro is much more than a car; it symbolizes America's spirit and its love affair with the automobile.”

The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009. “The new Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation,” said Ed Welburn, GM's global vice president of design, who owns a 1969 Camaro SS. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport coupe will feature an independent rear suspension, and will be offered in a variety of models with the choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V-6 and V-8 engines.

Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said the new Camaro will appeal to both men and women, and unite customers with fond memories of previous Camaros with those who first experienced a Camaro when the concept was unveiled in January.

“We intend to make the all-new Camaro relevant to younger buyers while retaining its appeal to current fans,” said Peper. “The beauty of the best Camaros is that they have always been beautiful to look at with performance that rivals expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new-car buyers.”

In fact, the Camaro Concept design team embodies the universal appeal that Chevy envisions for the car: The core team reporting to the lead designer ranges in age from 27-35 and came from all over the world, yet they all had similar experiences growing up with a love for the Camaro and American performance cars. Their concept redefines the Camaro for both existing and new generations of fans in a contemporary way with responsive performance and modern technology.

Peper said Camaro will complement Chevy’s already-popular portfolio of performance vehicles led by Corvette and including its broad SS lineup.

An American icon
The Camaro has touched many lives – and graced many garages – with nearly 4.8 million produced between 1967 and 2002. More than 1,000 Camaro clubs exist globally, and thousands of Camaro web sites pay homage to the sports coupe. A recent report on America Online’s Top Searches of 2005 placed Camaro in the Top 10 car searches for the year.

The damn thing should've been in production right around the time that POS movie Transformers was out. I'll never understand GM.

·
Registered
420 Posts
no...more...throw-backs...

although, a supercharged V-8 sounds nice. but that thing is fugly. i'd rather have the latest model.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Never was a fan of Camaros.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
GM missed the boat by not having this out during Transformers, and by making the new small RWD Alpha platform a Chevy and a Jew Canoe (Cadillac) instead of a Pontiac

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
Note to American car companies:

Try a new design direction you lazy ****s and maybe young people will think about buying your cars again.

A young buyer right now has NO NOSTALGIC CONNECTION to your ****ing ponycars.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Meh - looks OK but I wouldn't buy one. Only chevy worth having is the Vette Z06

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
I wouldn't mind having this over a Vette. My love for 69 Camaros would make me buy this car. Now if they do the special race motor packages like they did back in the day and stick in the Z06 LS9 engine on some cars instead of the new LS(7?) that's in the new standard Corvettes...that would be a kickass car. What would be it's V6 option?

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
Then go buy a '69 Camaro. Don't count on this one coming with any insane COPO-like crap either. They'll probably offer it in some lame blue or orange version with a hockey stick stripe and people will scream "It's just like a Yenko!"

It's that insane logic you just quoted that sells these sh!tty retromobiles - "I like the 50s/60s/70s ___________. This new retromobile looks kind of like it so I'll buy it!"

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
neological said:
Then go buy a '69 Camaro. Don't count on this one coming with any insane COPO-like crap either. They'll probably offer it in some lame blue or orange version with a hockey stick stripe and people will scream "It's just like a Yenko!"

It's that insane logic you just quoted that sells these sh!tty retromobiles - "I like the 50s/60s/70s ___________. This new retromobile looks kind of like it so I'll buy it!"
Although my family is pretty well off...some people out there can't afford to have a second project car, much less one that needs to be garaged. Although rippoffs, the retromobiles don't have to be kept up to the extent that older cars do. This is a very nice compromise for the average person who just can't have the origional. Plus they'll have warranties. I wouldn't park my OG muscle car in the street, would you?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Meh - looks OK but I wouldn't buy one. Only chevy worth having is the Vette Z06
+1, there was some guy that hit a 10.98 sec quarter mile in one recently. The amazing part is STOCK CAR, STOCK TIRES.

But I agree with Neological, the whole retro-trend died after they made that whack pickup-truck/convertible/muscle-car abomination...which is none of what was just listed.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
GTsRasta said:
Although my family is pretty well off...some people out there can't afford to have a second project car, much less one that needs to be garaged. Although rippoffs, the retromobiles don't have to be kept up to the extent that older cars do. This is a very nice compromise for the average person who just can't have the origional. Plus they'll have warranties. I wouldn't park my OG muscle car in the street, would you?
I would want a car that's worth worrying about when it's parked on the street.

That means it has more value.

1 - 20 of 466 Posts