1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
52,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edmunds: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe
complete article
Burgeoning Beauty vs. Proven Performer

The list of six-cylinder sport coupes that actually matter is a short one. Let's face it, until now it's been BMW 335i and Infiniti G37. And then, about two weeks ago, Hyundai dropped a bomb. A big one.

It's the undeniable value equation that tips this test in the favor of the 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8. You simply get more car for your dollar with the Genesis coupe. Sure, it's not as much car as the 2009 Infiniti G37, but at two-thirds the cost, it doesn't have to be.

For my $, I'd get the G37 coupe right now. I'd still need to see a Genesis coupe up close to warm up to it some more.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I would say the same, but 210hp on a RWD car that weighs 3300 pounds.... wow that must feel slow...
its turbo. swap the turbo, put in an FMIC, play with the ECU and a retard should be able to get 400 whp out of it if the block isn't made out of play-do.

That said, the car just looks ugly and I have yet to see ANY data with regards to its dynamic traits - just straight line performance figures.

I'll have to drive one to figure it out for myself.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
its turbo. swap the turbo, put in an FMIC, play with the ECU and a retard should be able to get 400 whp out of it if the block isn't made out of play-do.
Im talking stock here.

We dont even know what the car will be possible of.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would say the same, but 210hp on a RWD car that weighs 3300 pounds.... wow that must feel slow...
true but i hear on the genesis forum that aftermarket companies are already making parts for it so I guess for now we wont now for sure if its worth it or not and it will also take a while before we know if the engines are reliable and worth moding only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
52,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor Trend: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track: Mustang Fighter or Cut-price Nissan 370Z?
complete article
How Hyundai's Sporty Two Door Measures Up Against Its Closest Competitors

GENESIS MEETS MUSTANG

Unsurprisingly, the Genesis Coupe comes across a tad sharper, but the test numbers contradict those senses. Not only is the new Mustang more agile than the Genesis -- 0.95 g on the skidpad (versus 0.90) and 25.5 seconds at 0.70 g in the figure eight (versus 26.2 at 0.67) -- it's also superior in 60-to-0 braking (108 feet versus 111) and at the dragstrip, posting 0-to-60 and quarter-mile times at least a half-second quicker.

GENESIS MEETS 370Z

Drive these two back to back on a stretch of squiggly asphalt, and the handling numbers make perfect sense. Inasmuch as the Genesis feels like a capable and exciting sport coupe, the Z acts like an absolute purpose-built sports car. The seating position is low and the body seems vacuum-packed around the driver. Conversely, the Hyundai imparts a higher, airier feel from behind the wheel. The Z's steering, in light of the Hyundai's, is relatively heavy but it relays crisper responses and clearer communication. Same for the gearshift, which is perfectly placed and more refined in shift feel and action (plus, it offers the marvelous SynchroRev Match feature). Everything about the Z is tailormade for exploring the limits of adhesion. The Hyundai, in contrast, seems to need a few more hems and stitches to rival the Z's exhilarating style.

GENESIS, MUSTANG, OR 370Z?

But if you're just after a sports car with the low-slung, sharp-nosed design of an Asian import and could care less about passenger or cargo capacity, the Z is the better drive. It's markedly quicker, handles better, and is more rewarding to pilot. Whether cruising downtown or conquering a canyon road, we'd pass on the Genesis key for the Z's any day.

Although Ford was afraid the Genesis Coupe would make the Mustang look like a chump, the Hyundai has instead turned the Blue Oval's ponycar into a champ. For being a scaredy cat, Ford now looks like the chump. Funny how things work out.

Ouch.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
People is really depending on aftermarket for this Genesis... But again, any car with similar aftermarket pieces will still be ahead of the genesis...

Well, genesis owners will always have their "its best bang for the buck" sentence :)

·
Super Moderator
52,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IL Track Tested: 2010 Camaro V6 vs. 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8
complete article
Vehicle: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT (with the RS package)

Price: $26,845

Acceleration Comments: Strangely, the V6 Camaro can overwhelm its rear tires almost as easily as the V8, so a low engine speed is needed for launch. Starting with the revs at about 3200 rpm we dropped the clutch and let the tires spin about two-thirds of the way through first gear. Once the clutch is out, pedaling it is needed to keep wheelspin in check. Tranny really doesn't like to be rushed in this car. Second gear crunched every shift during acceleration testing. Slower shifts were never a problem.

Handling Comments: Largely the same as the V8 car, the V6 Camaro's handling is on-par for the segment. And it suffers the same visibility issues. Its small glass area makes placing the car precisely difficult at first. I never felt like I was as close to the cones as I should be in the slalom until I actually hit them. Having less power is the only trait which hurts the V6 car's performance through the cones where exit speed (through sharp acceleration) can make a difference. Otherwise, this car feels the same as the V8. Around the skidpad it burdens its front tires less than the heavier SS and it lacks the power to influence its balance as easily. Powerslides are not easy in the V6 which lacks the oomph to rotate on the throttle.

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

Price: $30,375

Acceleration Comments: No drivetrain protection interruption, despite hard shifts at redline. Feels sharper in the next gear too (no torque reduction?). Best Launch with aggressive wheelspin from about 4,000 rpm.

Handling Comments: Slalom: Very good communication despite lighter steering than its competition. It's responsive and confidence-inspiring through fast transitions. Skid pad: It requires more coaxing to get the rear out than I remember in the last test. But overall, it's still very good.

Click on the source and you'll be surprised when you see the rest of the data. Camaro wins again.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Dang! Did GM really need to make the Camaro THAT porky? A 2nd generation Lexus LS400 weighed less than that despite all the luxury features. Would have been nice if they could have kept it around 3300 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
52,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Motor Trend: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 vs 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
full story
Six Shooters: We Find the King of the Affordable V-6 Coupes

Today's spoiler comes from South Korea, not Japan. The 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, with rear drive and turbo-four or V-6 power, is about eight inches shorter than the Camaro, or half a foot shorter than the Mustang. Although it shares components with the Genesis sedan, it's been designed specifically to be too small to take the sedan's optional 4.6-liter Tau V-8 in its engine bay. Like the Celica of a generation back, the Genesis Coupe is meant to dazzle musclecar fans with fancy footwork its bigger, heavier competitors can't match.

Nevertheless, Camaro and Genesis Coupe appeal to similar buyers, those who value style and the ability to drive stylishly fast over a useful back seat or trunk space, with gas mileage that won't embarrass those owners. The Genesis V-6 with six-speed manual gets a manufacturer's estimated 17/26 mpg, while the Camaro V-6/six-speed manual combo manages 17/29 mpg.

FIRST PLACE: Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Best viewed from behind the wheel, where it handles entertaining roads more like a sports car than a pony- or musclecar.

SECOND PLACE: Chevrolet Camaro
Powerful, refined V-6 and enough style to lend some to Hyundai, its weight and size make it less entertaining on second- and third-gear roads.

New! Despite the Camaros weight, I'd pick it over the Genesis.

·
Registered
953 Posts
guys, I've been reading lately and I think I might go test drive a genesis coupe. . .lol. The 2.0T version has gained a lot from just an ecu tune and since it shares the evo engine it has a lot of potential. i think its a good bang for your buck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.