NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated: 1-8-09

Yes, it's true the RWD will be out late next year. Many question about test drive and review. here it is

Epic Roads, World-Class Ride
By Ben Barry, Contributor Email
Date posted: 01-04-2009

STORY TOOLS Print this Save this Digg this!
Email this Most popular del.icio.us

It's 5 a.m. in South Korea and we slip downstairs in the dark from our motel room in Uljin to the underground parking garage. We point the key fob into the blackness and a car's soft interior lighting illuminates a sumptuous leather cabin. Headlights cast a glow, highlighting aggressive character lines that cut across purposeful bodywork.

We're drooling over a Hyundai, for heaven's sake. It's the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. We load the gear into the surprisingly accommodating trunk, slip into the chilly cockpit and press the starter button. We're looking forward to this. Really looking forward to it.

In 10 minutes time, we'll be carving a piece of Korean blacktop that's every bit as epic as the very best roads in the world. It's the Bulryeong Valley, an amazing route that starts on Korea's picturesque east coast and reaches into the country's mountainous heart.

It'll be a real test, a mustard-cutting exercise for the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe that will prove whether the Koreans can make a genuine world-class sport coupe.

World-Class Rear-Wheel-Drive
This is the 2010 Genesis Coupe, the two-door version of the rear-wheel-drive car that has won Hyundai grudging respect at last from the world's luxury carmakers. At its core, this top-line Genesis SE coupe is powered by Hyundai's 32-valve, 3.8-liter Lambda V6, which produces 299 horsepower at 6,300 rpm and delivers 266 pound-feet of torque at 4,700 rpm. A ZF-built 6HP26 six-speed transmission sends the power to the rear wheels.

This car looks substantial in person, measuring 182.3 inches long, 73.4 inches wide and 54.3 inches tall. The wheelbase is commensurately long at 111 inches. The suspension setup includes MacPherson struts up front, while a five-link independent arrangement controls the rear wheels. If the V6 is in place, the Genesis coupe weighs in at 3,549 pounds; if the turbocharged, intercooled, 212-hp 2.0-liter inline-4 is doing business under the hood, the car weighs 3,439 pounds.

There are three trim levels: entry-level GS with turbo inline-4; the GT with the V6; and the high-performance SE with a sport-tuned suspension, Brembo brakes and 19-inch tires matched to either the four- or six-cylinder.

Leaving Uljin
We turn off Highway 5, burble through still-sleeping villages, then start to climb into the hills that tower above. The road to Yeongju is smooth, fairly wide and bordered by guardrails and catch fencing. Sweeping corners outnumber straights 10 to one. It's like we've found our own private racetrack.

Even in this demanding environment, the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe still delivers. It grips so hard at the front that you wonder if there is actually a Korean word for understeer, then encourages you to get on the gas early and put all 299 hp to use at the rear. Again there's grip from the 19-inch rear tires, yet there's a lightness and deft poise that makes for an immensely satisfying and extremely manageable flow from one apex to the next.

The SE package's big brakes never lose their bite, thanks to 13.4-inch rotors in front and 13-inch rotors in the rear, both with four-piston Brembo calipers. Meanwhile, the V6's large reserve of torque is always on hand to haul you fuss-free from tight turns. Then it hits me. The 2010 Genesis Coupe feels exactly like the Infiniti G37

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
guambomb said:
FYI v6 3.8 lambda II motor will atleast be 300hp. i4 turbo 215HP avail.
also 4.6 380hp v8 motor from its bigger brother Genisis will share it's motor a year later(not sure about this yet).

Price range from low to mid $20k.
:drool:

Maybe I'll buy one in a few years. That's a better deal than the current mustang, and the mustang has owned the competition so far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zero said:
Now the only thing Hyundai needs to work on is on their designs. I wonder how many ripped-off designs can be spotted, like the G35 style tails.

hmmm.. I know what u are trying to say but are you going to tell me that Lexus doesn't "copy" Benz and Bimmer's features either and ideas while making it more affordable and functional? I guess then Lexus is a huge ball of making knockoff crap that isn't innovative for jack according to your ideas.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
I see what you are getting at. Yes, Lexus does take styling points from Benz and even BMW, but in no way do they apply all of what they take onto their car. Have you seen the other would-be concepts of the next gen Tiburon? Have you counted the number of things that were obviously copied from other cars? It's as if Hyundai photoshopped each piece and pasted them together to make a concept car. If I recalled, parts from the SRT-4 Neon, RX-8, RSX, Celica, Cougar, and a few others were used to make that concept. It's almost as worse as the apparent copyright infringements the Chinese have with their vehicles/concepts.

I'll admit it, the previous 2006 Tibby looks great, a real nice, sleek design. You're a new member, quite possibly a Hyundai fan, that's cool, I have nothing against that. Hell, I would even consider owning a few Hyundai, seeing as how they are a good price/competition for the higher end models they are designed to go against.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
marc said:
we'll see what it REALLY is when it comes out
Agreed, I'll even take back what I said if this gen proves to have no copy-and-pasted designs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zero said:
I see what you are getting at. Yes, Lexus does take styling points from Benz and even BMW, but in no way do they apply all of what they take onto their car. Have you seen the other would-be concepts of the next gen Tiburon? Have you counted the number of things that were obviously copied from other cars? It's as if Hyundai photoshopped each piece and pasted them together to make a concept car. If I recalled, parts from the SRT-4 Neon, RX-8, RSX, Celica, Cougar, and a few others were used to make that concept. It's almost as worse as the apparent copyright infringements the Chinese have with their vehicles/concepts.

I'll admit it, the previous 2006 Tibby looks great, a real nice, sleek design. You're a new member, quite possibly a Hyundai fan, that's cool, I have nothing against that.

It's cool man. No worries. I know how it is. Everyone has their opinions. I'm a celica fan too. I raced many, especially in the track. I am in SD too. YOu probably seen my car aound. Can you described a fixed up tib you seen a few times?

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
I've seen a few, but it's all a blur to me. :crazy2: I've seen some really nice ones around. I'm from around the Chula Vista area.

I've seen a video of a 1st gen Tiburon FX (IMO a pretty clean design like the 3rd, 2nd is just weird looking) with a front and rear motor, with two working drivetrains. Crazy car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YOu defntly seen me around then because i LIVE IN CHULA VISTA TOO. Have you ever seen a two tone Tib? Black and silver. with gun metal 19's.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
Is it going to be named, "Tiburon?" Like the other concept, they forgot to add it's signature design, the shark gills. I thought that's why they called it the Shark/Tiburon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope they don't. I am sure they wont though. And plus, there is always aftermarket to back it up or fix anything you dont like.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
enthennd said:
toyotapowerx said:
This new shark might put Hyundai on the map, Its offering an affordable Front Engine Rear wheel drive platform that

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
GuamBomb said:
I hope they don't. I am sure they wont though. And plus, there is always aftermarket to back it up or fix anything you dont like.

Tiburon and after-market lol...You said that like you believed it...lol that's special

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lVlemphizStylez said:
Tiburon and after-market lol...You said that like you believed it...lol that's special
Haha, well its not like Honda aftermarket like they are everywhere but you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 428 Posts