NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 Jaguar XJ
Project X351, as the car is called, started as a re-skin of the current XJ. But as the program has developed, the engineering changes have become more extensive.

In fact, X351 will be the first Jaguar flagship to be launched with a retooled body and new engines. Traditionally Jaguar does what most other car makers do, and launches carry-over engines in a new body to keep costs down.

Styling is inspired by the XF, but well placed sources say that we should expect a much more dramatic and eye-catching look. 'People know that there’s new car coming, but they won't be prepared for anything like this,' said one source involved in the project.

The interior, too, is described as a 'big step forward'. Although features such as the XF's rotary gear selector are carried over, and the basic theme involves plenty of glossy wood and metallic trim, the new XJ takes the design to new levels of craftsmanship and quality. 'We knew we had to work on this,' said another project insider.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I saw a couple XF's this past weekend, and they looked pretty good. A slightly larger version of it should do well I think, though I wouldn't be the one buying it. I'll stick to my 2 door coupes :gap:

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Saw an XF too last week, looks good, eventhough it lost some of the "upscale" looks old jags had. I was somehow expecting something a bit different for the XJ, maybe a bit less XF-like.

·
Argentum Chaos Vae Victis
6,652 Posts
That interior is pure sex... expect for the wood trim.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
x2 on the interior, just WOW .... not digging the rear, ugly imo :S

·
Super Moderator
44,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update!

Jaguar C-Type Is a Go, But XJ Coupe Ain't
After the launch of the all-new 2011 Jaguar XJ sedan this spring, speculation has been that Jag's next move would be a coupe version of the full-size luxury liner, which would take on the Mercedes CL-Class and Bentley Continental GT. These reports are false. The XJ Coupe ain't happening. But the smaller C-Type convertible has been given the green light and will soon battle the Audi TT, BMW Z4 and Mercedes SLK for buyers.

The XJ Coupe rumors started when Jag's design director Ian Callum let it slip that his team has drawn one up. But an unnamed European source with knowledge of Jaguar's future product plans has told Inside Line that he is unaware of any such project being worked on. He said he has never even heard the idea seriously discussed.

But the less expensive and higher-volume C-Type is a go. Inside Jaguar it's referred to as the "small sports car."

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I would totally choose that over a CL-Class or Bentley.

·
Super Moderator
44,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Jaguar XJ 3.0D V6 Portfolio LWB
The newly upgraded 3.0-litre turbodiesel gets much more power (271bhp at 4000rpm) but the figure that matters is its 442lb ft of torque at just 2000rpm. It betters all V8s bar the Supersports, which is about 20lb ft stronger. The 3.0D is strong but subtle, with near-instant shove courtesy of its twin sequential turbos. The result is prodigious power, plus long legs. You can drive this car very, very fast without ever straying over 3500rpm. The 0-60mph sprint takes just 6.0sec, the top speed is limited at 155mph, but the real gauge of performance is how the car accelerates from 70mph to 100mph; it’s quiet and swift enough to undermine the case for buying any of the V8s, especially since the combined fuel consumption of 40mpg promises an easy range of 650 miles.

Should I buy one?
Hard to imagine why not. On first driving acquaintance, the XJ looks a triumph for Jaguar. Its siblings have been pleasing customers for several years. The XJ’s styling and magnificent interior provide a fine platform for driving characteristics so special that they may just take a British luxury car right back to the top of the market.
Jaguar XJ 5.0 V8 Portfolio LWB

·
Super Moderator
44,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Jaguar XJ concept hints at XJR
Officially the one-off Jaguar XJ75 Platinum Concept has been built as part of Jaguar’s 75th anniversary celebrations to show off the scope for customising the new luxury saloon, but many of its styling changes could easily be adopted by an XJR.

Styling changes including ground-hugging front, rear and side sills give the Platinum Concept the look of the smaller XFR saloon. Other features include dark chrome and gloss black trim, Satin Matte Pearlescent White paintwork and bespoke 22-inch black alloys in a brushed contrast finish.

The long-wheelbase XJ Platinum Concept is powered by a 464bhp, 424lb ft version of the firm’s 5.0 supercharged V8. In the XJR, power is likely to exceed the 503bhp produced in the XJ Supersports, XFR and XKR models.

Jaguar insists “there are no plans yet” for an XJR and that the Platinum Concept “is just a design one-off”, but such a model is almost certain to appear in the XJ’s lifetime given the badge’s history.

Jaguar XJ chief designer Giles Taylor said the concept “brought the pure sporting character of the XJ to the fore by keeping the car’s clean graphic approach and further lowering its stance”.

·
Super Moderator
44,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P2gcSRLC4E4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WmUHTnMpLD0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 - 20 of 35 Posts