NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
The V6 300bhp grabbed my attention, but i'm more interested in seeing how much this car will weigh.

If they can keep the weight down near the Exige, this car will be amazingly fast.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
the drawing looks like a Ford GT mated with a 308ti.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
won't the ability to seat 4 destroy the Lotus ethos of performance through light weight?

I mean, if you're talking a very very lightweight car from the start, adding three more people is going to significantly hamper performance if Lotus stays true to its core values.

·
Registered
485 Posts
won't the ability to seat 4 destroy the Lotus ethos of performance through light weight?

I mean, if you're talking a very very lightweight car from the start, adding three more people is going to significantly hamper performance if Lotus stays true to its core values.
x234623

The entire mantra of Lotus is if it's light enough, it'll be fast enough. Hell, anytime I have 3 others in the celica, I think of the extra 20% increase in weight.

4 seats in a Lotus is a poor idea.

·
Super Moderator
44,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lotus Eagle: the full story

FULL STORY
It looks rather like a stretched Elise...

Well, the Eagle certainly looks low-slung and rakish in an Elise fashion. But insiders are confident the newcomer will forge a new identity for itself. This is the first all-new Lotus product for a good dozen years, don't forget.

The funny shape can be blamed on the Eagle's essential make-up. This is an unusual mid-engined 2+2, and the Toyota-sourced V6 is slung amidships. We've seen the registration document for an Eagle prototype and it runs a 3458cc bent six - probably the engine from the US-market Camry.

That 24-valve V6 has variable valve timing and pumps out 262bhp at 6200rpm and 248lb ft at 4700rpm, power outputs that insiders don't argue with. Our sources suggest that an automatic version is in the pipeline complete with paddle-shifts. Perfect for international markets such as the US.

The boss speaks

Chief exec Mike Kimberley recently spoke about the Eagle project in public for the first time. He said: 'I am delighted with the exceptional “fast-track” progress of Project Eagle - the project is hitting key gateway, timing and technical objectives.

'The project utilises our core competencies in aluminium, and composite body engineering, jointing techniques, and vehicle systems integration.'

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
yeah, a 4 seat DSG lotus just seems like a shameless cash-grab (like the porsche panamera).
hey, the Cayenne gave them enough R&D $ to build the Cayman so you can't complain too much.

Plus I don't mind the Panamera as long as they use its platform to come out with a 928 successor - remember, the front engine, water cooled 928 outperformed its equivalent rear engined, air cooled 911 - including the contemporary turbo models.

And Porsche's current front engined v8 makes somewhere in the 550 hp range.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
probably the 2GR??

Yup - thats my thinking. Nice broad torque band and good power all while being pretty damn lighweight (aluminum block and heads, plastic intake manifold, etc)

Its a great choice. Can't wait to drive one mated to a manual trans.

·
Super Moderator
44,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fOHDQW1Y_aE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fOHDQW1Y_aE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

there's the test mule in action.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts