·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
man I hope this car comes with the 1.6L

lVlemphizStylez said:
The amount of Slow/$$ on that car is ridiculous...It would win the award for that ratio...next to the NSX

"blah blah, It's god's left testicle in the TWISTIES!!!!"....Tell that to the minivan that just told you "No, you're not merging into my lane"
A) You can get a new RX-8 for $21,000. That's less than a new Celica/GTI/SI/RSX-S, yet faster than any of them in a straight line.

B) You're always ranting about speed per dollar - realize next to nobody CARES about straight line speed in this forum, otherwise we'd all be driving LS1 Camaros or 5.0s. So please, for the sake of everyone here, give it a rest - nobody cares.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
lVlemphizStylez, you have no clue of what you are talking about, you are just saying what you have read on the internet about the lack of torque on the RX-8.

I have driven the car more than once and I tell you that sometimes I regret my wife choosing a 350Z over the RX-8.

The car is great to drive, probably you get much more fun out of it that from any other car (same with the miata).
It takes corners without feeling any weigh or bodyroll on the car, the gears are smooth and so is the ride and the engine. And the lack of torque is unnoticeable once you have some momentum going.

The only thing I didn't like about the car is the fuel economy. (and my wife, the looks)

I'm a fan of small and fun engines more than big and strong ones (like the Z, who can pass your minivans without even stepping on the gas on 6th gear at 1500rpms) and I really think that the RX-8, with such a high red line and centered weight, is a hell of a car to drive.

If you are so interested in numbers, just turbo charge the car. But man, the number of seconds that a car makes in 1/4 of a mile is not the only characteristic for a damn car.... And you only know how to make statements on that area.

(wow, I read this forums twice a day and you were the first one that made me write after months of just reading LOL)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
marc said:
man I hope this car comes with the 1.6L

A) You can get a new RX-8 for $21,000. That's less than a new Celica/GTI/SI/RSX-S, yet faster than any of them in a straight line.

B) You're always ranting about speed per dollar - realize next to nobody CARES about straight line speed in this forum, otherwise we'd all be driving LS1 Camaros or 5.0s. So please, for the sake of everyone here, give it a rest - nobody cares.
Man, you beat me on your comment B (LOL) you answered when I was writing...

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
what kind of gas mpg does the current rx-8 get really...? not talking about window sticker MPG, but real mpg....lately, i've been thinking of trading in the celica+cash for an rx-8....i know it's a fun as hell car, has good amenities like heated seats (on some models), the freestyle door system is also a plus

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Can only pray for a 1.6!

atrac7GTS said:
what kind of gas mpg does the current rx-8 get really...? not talking about window sticker MPG, but real mpg....lately, i've been thinking of trading in the celica+cash for an rx-8....i know it's a fun as hell car, has good amenities like heated seats (on some models), the freestyle door system is also a plus
I get about 14-17mpg. I drive it pretty hard most of the time. Really fun car to drive!

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
twistedGTS said:
Can only pray for a 1.6!

I get about 14-17mpg. I drive it pretty hard most of the time. Really fun car to drive!
HEY! How you been man!!! :wave:

·
15,579 Posts
twistedGTS said:
Can only pray for a 1.6!

atrac7GTS said:
Mine delivered a consistent 18/23 until I turbocharged it

then I got about 16/25

deleriously fun car to drive

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Guh,

How did you get that high of mpg on the highway? I struggled to get 20mpg.

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
marc said:

then I got about 16/25

would you recommend it as a daily driver then...? as in worth trading in the celica and shell some cash to get it...? i am REALLY looking into ones around here, something to switch up from the celica and still have a fun, but yet still good for daily driving...like i stated, i like the features they can come with, such as the heated sets/bose, freestyle door, not bad looks at all...etc...also, if relevant, i would drive it in the winter as well as my DD, and michigan weather in the winter= :(

·
15,579 Posts
atrac7GTS said:
marc said:

then I got about 16/25

would you recommend it as a daily driver then...? as in worth trading in the celica and shell some cash to get it...? i am REALLY looking into ones around here, something to switch up from the celica and still have a fun, but yet still good for daily driving...like i stated, i like the features they can come with, such as the heated sets/bose, freestyle door, not bad looks at all...etc...also, if relevant, i would drive it in the winter as well as my DD, and michigan weather in the winter= :(
I had one as a daily driver for about a year and drove it in snow with SUMMER tires on. If you put some winter tires on it, you'd be fine in the snow. It is a fantastic daily driver and pretty much better than the Celica in every way imaginable except gas mileage.

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
marc said:
I had one as a daily driver for about a year and drove it in snow with SUMMER tires on. If you put some winter tires on it, you'd be fine in the snow. It is a fantastic daily driver and pretty much better than the Celica in every way imaginable except gas mileage.
excellent...i think mazda hit the nail on the head with everything aesthetics/ergonomic wise in that car as well. i honestly love the feature of the suicide/freestyle doors for a "coupe" like that. i'm guessing you had the 6spd right..? how'd you like the transmission on the car...? i've heard everything good about it except the stock shifter knob itself lol. and this, i know is a noob question (i will admit i don't know too much about rotaries), but what is the potential of, for lack of a better term..."making it fast"....? i know it would be my DD, but at the same time one can also be curious ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
atrac7GTS said:
excellent...i think mazda hit the nail on the head with everything aesthetics/ergonomic wise in that car as well. i honestly love the feature of the suicide/freestyle doors for a "coupe" like that. i'm guessing you had the 6spd right..? how'd you like the transmission on the car...? i've heard everything good about it except the stock shifter knob itself lol. and this, i know is a noob question (i will admit i don't know too much about rotaries), but what is the potential of, for lack of a better term..."making it fast"....? i know it would be my DD, but at the same time one can also be curious ;)
If you make that car you DD you are going to really notice the MPG difference. But you will only care at the beginning.

If it snows too much there, think it twice.

The worse part is not the shift nob. It is kind of weird looking since it tries to resemble the engine shape, but it feels fine and shifts really smooth.

The UGLY part of the car is the damn stereo. It looks HORRIBLE!

Other than that, the car is great.

·
15,579 Posts
atrac7GTS said:
marc said:
The manual is fine. Its the second best on the planet, behind the S2000, in my opinion. Don't get the auto - its only a 4-port instead of 6-port rotary.

You want to know potential? With a $3000 turbo kit and a custom exhaust I made 360 hp, in a 3000 lb car.

Red Falcon said:
lVlemphizStylez said:
that comment was more for the Rx8...Lol and the NSX is probably the only 90k car that sport compacts would feel confident about taking on lmao...exotic car pricing without exotic car performance LMAO
Oh gotcha. I want to race a 91 just to say I beat an NSX too. The 97 would be close. I wish there was a 1/4 track close to me. :(
A) The only people who bring an NSX or an RX-8 to a 1/4 mile track are *******s. Both cars are monsters on the road course.

B) Remember - the 225 hp Euro RX-8 tied the same lap time as the 287 hp Z and the 333 hp E46 M3 on Top Gear's track. Remember - the NSX was tuned with lap data driven by Senna himself. Anybody talking about either of these car's 0-60 simply does not "get it", and never will "get it".

C) The NSX is more important for what it did for the overall sports car market. Honda created an exotic that outperformed all other exotics when it was released. Not only that, Honda created an exotic that could be driven on a daily basis, reliably, with logical ergonomics, creature comforts, and reasonable gas mileage. The NSX forced automakers, especially Ferrari and Porsche, to up their game since the market would no longer tolerate finicky, unreliable supercars at that price point.

Again, if you don't get it, you don't get it and I'm wasting my typing.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts