NewCelica.org Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
whoadizzle said:
Why are Mazdas some damn expensive...I never really followed Mazda so I may be completely missing something.
a brand new RX-8 is like, $20,000

(the owned isn't for you, it was for some other retard)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
not to bad...still love the rx8

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
KAT_Ayanami said:
nyoneway said:
Looks good, but 14mpg @ $4.00 gas, ouch ($3400/yr). This gas guzzler has its number.
Now I do agree with you.

I guess rotary will be out of the market like V8s anytime now.

Shame. Great engine, but until we get hydrogen is just too expensive for anything...
the new rotary they're working on is supposed to make something near 30mpg, IIRC.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great upgrades overall and should help improve an already great handling car, but still needs more power. Forged aluminum wheels, Recaro bucket seats, factory aero, and Bilstein dampers stock is pretty good for a sub 30K car.

I could justify the bad gas mileage if it was alot faster. But 25-30K will buy some pretty fast used cars with same if not better gas mileage. C5 Z06, CTS-V, 6.0 GTO, EVO, STI, 350Z, or Mustang GT.

Would of rather seen the upgrades to the car done by adding another rotary or some type of forced induction.

Otherwise it's just another chick car.

·
15,579 Posts
TRD1zz00GT said:
Otherwise it's just another chick car.
Says the Celica owner

Nineball said:
the new rotary they're working on is supposed to make something near 30mpg, IIRC.
The one they've shown has been increased from 1.3L to 1.6L and gets direct injection which should be good for even more power and better fuel economy, together with the increased torque from displacement and higher compression ratio that can be run with direct injection they can revise gearing and get better highway MPG. The car will never get good city MPG - this is the nature of the rotary.

Keep in mind, the rotary weighs about 90 lbs less than a comparable V6, and mounts lower and further back - THIS is what you buy rotary cars for, not the power. Not to mention they are butter smooth and will rev to the moon. The original 12A can make THOUSANDS of horsepower without forced induction simply because you can spin it to 18,000 rpm. And look at the tri-rotor monsters out there as well.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
rx-8s are nice..only bad thing is lack of force-induction..although even without it it makes some decent power..i wouldnt mind owning one..esp the "R3" version

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thats really good news! If it does get around 30+ MPG, then i am all for it! I must say, this is the car that i want to get once i am out of college. Celica for now, but the RX8 is on the top of my list after that...

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
sounds like it'll still run 15-14 second quarter miles for 30k and poor gas mileage....shame

It shouldn't be allowed for 30k rwd sports cars to run 15's...Straight line not everything fine, but 14-15 second 30k sports cars are unacceptable. Car should have more balls than a ****ing sport compact Honda...

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
i think it's a nice car overall though...maybe i wouldn't buy it at 30k for that special edition model, but i'd certainly drop a low 20K for one....it's very practical also with their free style doors, and they can have pretty nice amenities like decent speakers, pop up navi, heated seats, etc...

been looking for one at a good price so far, but i keep finding automatics in my area :(

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I won't be interested till I see the new rotary engine in a Mazda. All those goodies are nice, but that's all you get with this package is goodies. I want more power.

·
15,579 Posts
I won't be interested till I see the new rotary engine in a Mazda. All those goodies are nice, but that's all you get with this package is goodies. I want more power.
same.

more displacement + direct injection should yield a hefty bump in torque

and since they don't have to deal with the same problems as piston engines (fighting gravity and inertia when moving up and down) you'll still be able to spin it to the moon (tq x rpm / 5252 = power)

plus their 6-port system is basically a 3-stage VTEC/VVTL-i (2 are always open, then 4 open, then 6 - the auto only has 4 ports which is why it makes less power than the 6 port manual).

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
A bit OT, saw an old Cosmo coupe with the 2.0L 3-rotor the other day, didn't get enough time to grab my phone and take a picture but it sure looked stunning.

·
Super Moderator
46,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Update!

Mazda Will Drop RX-8 from U.S. Lineup After 2011
If you’ve been toying with the notion of picking up a Mazda RX-8, you may want to start actively saving for one. Citing a source within Mazda’s North American ranks, Motor Trend says the rotary-powered sports coupe will be dropped from the U.S. lineup, possibly after the 2011 model year.

After looking at the sales figures, Mazda's decision to drop the RX-8 isn’t too surprising. Although the model was updated in 2009, Mazda has managed to sell only 428 cars thus far in 2010. Global sales volumes will further be affected since Mazda’s European wing recently axed the model, as the Renesis rotary won’t meet upcoming EuroV emission standards.

While this may signal the death of the RX-8, it doesn’t mean Mazda’s finally moving away from rotary-powered sports cars. Motor Trend suggests the market-by-market wind-down of RX-8 sales could be a sign that Mazda is shifting its focus towards a new RX sports car -- possibly even a revival of the vaunted RX-7. If true, a production version could arrive by 2013 at the earliest.

Get one while you still can.

·
Super Moderator
46,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Update!

Mazda halts production of the RX-8
Mazda Motor Corp. has canceled production of its RX-8 rotary engine sports car, citing falling sales and stringent global emissions standards.

Production in Hiroshima, Japan, ended in early July and global sales of the car will conclude later this year.

Mazda's U.S. dealers had 300 units in stock as of Aug. 1 for a 118-day supply, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Mazda pulled the RX-8 from the European market last year after the car failed to meet local emissions standards. Without volume from Europe, Mazda couldn't justify selling the RX-8, a Mazda source said.

Exporting vehicles from Japan also has become more difficult. The yen's rise vs. the dollar was a major reason why Mazda's North American operating losses from April through June grew nearly threefold to ¥7.9 billion, or about $97.6 million, from the same quarter last year.

Still, Jim O'Sullivan, CEO of Mazda North American Operations, said "the rotary is alive and well within Mazda." While declining to comment on the progress of the 16X, O'Sullivan said: "We are studying what's the best way to come back to the market with the rotary."
R.I.P.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Triangle and circles...man....triangle and circles. It's gonna be tough to get it passed through emissions considering how rotaries work in general...otherwise, we'd be seeing more turbo RX's from Mazda.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
wow, 300 units is a 118 day supply. so they're pretty much selling less than 1000 a year now - that's worse than the 2005 celica! what an achievement

81 - 100 of 124 Posts