NewCelica.org Forum banner

2011 Chevrolet Volt

10K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  Motor 
#1 · (Edited)
Chevrolet Volt
GM's much-rumored electric vehicle introduction for the North American International Auto Show has indeed been revealed to be the Chevrolet Volt. Built on a new platform referred to as E-flex, the cute coupe spins the front wheels via a 161 HP electric motor and a lithium-ion storage pack with 16 kWh of capacity (a piece of technology that, by GM's own admission, is not yet ready for prime time). An Ecotec-branded turbocharged 71 HP three-banger sits under the hood to spin a 53 kW generator, which provides one method by which to charge the pack; the other consists of a pair of plugs (one on either side) that facilitate charging via a standard 110V connection. Six hours or so of charge time at home is good for 40 miles of range, after which the IE kicks in at a steady 1800 RPM to feed the packs. GM calls it an EV with "range extending capability", but to our eyes, it sure looks like a series hybrid.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Camera crew gets sneak peak of production Volt

Camera crew gets sneak peak of production Volt
Following on the heels of an official image released by General Motors of the Chevrolet Volt, a camera crew has revealed a sneak peak at the production version. A Detroit-area news crew was allowed access to the Volt's design studio and managed to get a shot of a portion of the Volt's front fascia.

Nonetheless, Lutz says GM is 100 percent behind bringing the electric Volt to market in the next few years. He said GM was first "90 percent committed" to the project, but its confidence has risen to new heights.

What makes the Volt different from most hybrids is its gas motor is only used to charge the batteries — it never drives the wheels directly.

The concept promised a range of 640 miles with charged batteries and a full tank of gas. It also touted a range of 40 miles on batteries alone

#5 ·
windtunnel backwards :chuckles:

has a pretty interesting look. wonder what the technical specs are on it.

oh, and another to add to your sig (and very appropriate for a car forum): break and brake (i still don't get how people on a CAR site get this wrong). :gap:

#6 ·
interesting... that's a nice way to put it...

looks rendered to me, if a camera "crew" got a sneak peek of it, why are there no actual pictures... like with a camera? and if chevy didn't want pictures taken, why'd they invite a camera crew? bah!

i like the fake, completely non functional grill though...

#10 ·
#11 ·
In truth, it might be the biggest PR scam/coup of all time.

Also, about the "greeness:"

Electricity is not produced in an environmentally friendly manner in many communities.

The energy cost of electricity is much higher than gas.

The monetary cost of electricity is very high.

#16 ·
The windows look so damn small, maybe it's different in person. Other than that it's not terrible but I don't see it selling.

#19 ·
are you kidding me? compared to the concept design this might aswell be a different car. they started off with a mini eco friendly camaroish car. now... its a prius with a bowtie.

no thank you

#26 ·
i wouldn't. how many times do you have to look down or eye the area where you have to roll your windows down? never. if you have touch screen for that, i bet most people would not by "memory" know where to press every single time, to get it to roll down. everything "touch" isn't always the best in every case.

#27 ·
<embed FlashVars="videoId=185021" src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.