NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revised Daihatsu Copen Roadster Adds New Ultimate S Variant
Daihatsu has launched the 2011 model year version of its tiny Copen roadster in Japan. In order to keep buyers interested, Toyota's subsidiary enhanced the base trim level with additional standard features and introduced a new Ultimate S Edition that gains a restyled grille, dark colored 15-inch BBS alloys, a Momo steering wheel and gear lever, plus the option of full leather sport seats or a set of Recaro buckets draped in Alcantara.

All version of the 3.4-meter long Copen come with a power hardtop and a 660cc turbocharged engine producing 64HP at 6,000 rpm and 110Nm of peak torque at 3,200rpm, matched to either a four-speed automatic transmission or a five-speed manual gearbox.

This would make a great Scion.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
if that came in a real hard top...I'd have alot of fun no matter how gay it looks, but I cannot stand convertibles.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
It's more of a hairdresser's car than the Audi TT. In Japan I only ever saw ladies driving them. :chuckles:

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
If it didn't have the face of a VW Beetle......

..... or apparently the same back as it's front end.....

I'd like it. I think that's what makes it soo....gay... the beetle/TT similarities.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts

Wow, it has the same rims as my car, even down to the color. :AF: Good thing my car doesn't look like the rest of it. :chuckles:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It looks exactly the same as the old copen. They never sold very well here.
It really is tiny - but i can see how it might be ok car for the girls who want super cheap, easy city hard top convertible.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
It's more of a hairdresser's car than the Audi TT. In Japan I only ever saw ladies driving them. :chuckles:
Get me a bag of curlers, it looks fun!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Daihatsu only ever made one good car and this is it....

Ladies and Gents may I present the Daihatsu Charade GTti :)

993cc, 3cyl, turbo intercooled 12v lump and the first production car to offer 100bhp per litre @ 99.6bhp

Outrageous handling with liftoff oversteer on tap and an engine that sounded like a mini porsche unit it was an absolute blast, sold mine in the end due to getting the wife pregnant and needing a bigger car. Damn I miss that old car. Bit of a remap and some light engine work would easily see it north of 150bhp which doesn't sound a lot, but in a car with a kerb weight of 800kg it's ample!

Keep your Copen thanks Daihatsu, bring back the GTti

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
^Agreed. My cousin wanted to buy one a year ago but I adviced against it because they were asking too much, specially considering the engine was in bits and scattered all over the interior, turbo here, piston there, valves in the trunk, block in the back seat. Would have made for a fun profect though.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The thing is very "egg-y," but there's still some appeal to it. But probably to the Mini, Beetle, or SmartCar buyers. :|

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Ladies and Gents may I present the Daihatsu Charade GTti :)

993cc, 3cyl, turbo intercooled 12v lump and the first production car to offer 100bhp per litre @ 99.6bhp
No.

·
Super Moderator
45,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update!

Daihatsu Ending Copen Production with Special 10th Anniversary Edition
One of the smallest convertible models available in the market will soon be part of history, as Daihatsu has decided to cease production of its Copen roadster in August, 10 years after its introduction.
Daihatsu says it has sold more than 56,000 examples of the tiny roadster model with the retractable aluminum hardtop.

To mark the approaching end, Daihatsu has revealed the Copen 10th Anniversary Edition that will be available in Japan in limited numbers.

Along with the dedicated badges inside and out, the 10th Anniversary model is finished in white and comes equipped with 15-inch BBS alloy wheels, a chrome front grille, black leather seats with contrasting red stiches and chrome trim details on the handbrake and inner door handles.

Unlike most export market Copens that were equipped with a 1.3-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine producing 86hp, the JDM model is offered with a 63hp (64ps) 660cc turbocharged engine in order to meet Japanese kei car regulations.

The Copen 10th Anniversary Edition is offered with both a 5-speed manual and a 4-speed automatic, with pricing set at 1.82 million (US$22,100 or €16,700) and 1.8 million yen respectively (the manual gearbox model is more expensive).

Make it a Scion and give it more than +100hp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts