NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Porsche's forthcoming 2011 Cayenne SUV has been spotted undergoing testing
The new Cayenne should boast a variety of petrol, diesel and hybrid engines. On the petrol side, we can expect the 2011 Cayenne S to come with the Panamera's 4.8-liter V8 engine that develops 400 hp while the top-of-the-line Cayenne Turbo should be powered by the 4.8-liter biturbo V8 engine from the Panamera Turbo that delivers 500 hp. In diesel models, expect the current Volkswagen V6 TDI engine which produces 240 hp and 550 Nm of torque to carry over to the next generation with some minor improvements. Considering that Porsche's first Cayenne S hybrid will appear as a 2010 model, its hybrid powertrain should carry over to the 2011 Cayenne virtually unchanged. Power for the hybrid comes from Audi's supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that produces 333 horsepower, and it is connected to a three-phase synchronous electric motor which receives power from a 38 kW NiMH battery which is located in the spare wheel well.

The SOB looks meaner, sleeker and less pudgy than the outgoing model. I'm actually interested in seeing how the finished product looks.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
it will be ultra-capable, yet never see off road - and driven entirely by poseurs, much like the last car.

At least it generates cash so Porsche can keep making these cars

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
What's with the 4 little holes for the tails? or....whatever they are.

·
Super Moderator
51,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!

New Porsche Cayenne Accidentally Appears on Configurator
A screen shot from Porsche's European configurator that shows the next generation of the Cayenne SUV has been making the rounds on numerous internet forums today. Word has it that the 2011 Cayenne was accidentally uploaded on the configurator but was removed quickly after it was discovered.

I'm sold. That looks great.

·
Super Moderator
51,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update!

First Official Images and Details
The new Cayenne shares its platform with the also new Volkswagen Touareg while using various mechanical bits and pieces from the Panamera.

And even though it has grown in length some 40mm, like the Touareg, Porsche's SUV model is somewhere around 200kg or about 440 pounds lighter than the outgoing Cayenne.

From what we know, powetrain options will include the VW Group-sourced 3.6-liter V6 petrol with 300HP (also found in the Panamera) and 3.0-liter V6 turbo diesel with 240HP, as well as a 4.8-liter V8 in naturally aspirated (Cayenne S 400HP) and turbocharged forms (Cayenne Turbo 500HP).

Furthermore, the Cayenne will be offered with the same diesel-electric hybrid drivetrain as the Touareg coupling a 3.3-liter supercharged V6 TSI producing 333HP and 265 lb-ft of torque to a 47HP electric motor for a total output of 380HP and 428 lb-ft.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Ugly.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I haven't said anything before, I'll say it now: I find that it tries too hard to look like a Hyundai or Kia. :shrugs:

·
Super Moderator
51,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Selling this car and the Panamera makes producing the 911 viable - that's all I care about.
And that's exactly what's happening.

Update!

PRESS RELEASE
Next-Generation Porsche Cayenne Led by Intelligent, Powerful Hybrid

The performance of a V8 with the fuel efficiency of a V6

The highlight is the new Cayenne S Hybrid featuring a highly sophisticated parallel full hybrid drive system. With a combined power output of 380 horsepower from the supercharged V6 combustion engine and an electric motor, the Cayenne S Hybrid combines the performance of a V8 with the economy of a V6.

Through continuous interaction between the 3.0-liter supercharged V6 and electric motor, the Cayenne S Hybrid focuses on maximum efficiency. Depending on driving conditions, either drive unit can operate independently or together. The 47-horsepower (34 kW) electric motor is the ideal partner for the 333-horsepower engine, which produces high torque at low engine speeds. With peak torque at 427 lb-ft at just 1,000 rpm, the Cayenne S Hybrid's performance is on par with a V8-powered Cayenne S.

The Cayenne S Hybrid's two drive units are connected by a decoupling clutch. A hybrid controller constantly coordinates their complex interaction, and intelligent management of the clutch makes the transition among various driving modes seamless. Like many hybrids, the Cayenne S Hybrid can cover short distances on electric power alone, free of emissions and noise up to 60 km/h or almost 40 mph. For aggressive acceleration, the motor provides an extra 'boost' to the gasoline engine.

What makes the Cayenne S Hybrid unique is its ability to cruise at high speeds on electric power alone. The gasoline engine can be completely switched off and disengaged from the drivetrain at speeds of up to 97 mph. Christened by the Weissach engineers as 'sailing' – or cruising -- mode, the drag forces exerted by the combustion engine and their braking effect are eliminated in the interest of lower resistance and fuel consumption.

All new-generation Cayenne SUVs set high standards for efficiency and performance. Compared with the former models, fuel consumption is down by up to 23 percent in the New European Driving Cycle and CO2 emissions are significantly reduced, despite the increased performance. Actual EPA-certified fuel economy figures will be available when the cars go on sale in North America in July.

A new eight-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission with a wide range of gear ratios and the Automatic Start Stop function (first introduced on the Panamera) contribute to these improvements. So does efficient thermal management of the engine and transmission cooling circuits, on-board electrical network recuperation, variable deceleration fuel cut-off and the Cayenne's intelligent lightweight construction.

The Cayenne V6 and V8 engines are more powerful and more fuel efficient

The entry-level Cayenne with its 300-horsepwer 3.6-liter V6 engine and mated to the new eight-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission consumes 20 percent less fuel in the New European Driving Cycle than its predecessor.

Fuel consumption is also down significantly on the high-torque Cayenne S. Its 4.8-liter V8 produces 400 horsepower, 15 more than the previous model. When combined with the overall weight savings, performance is markedly increased, yet fuel consumption is down by 23 percent in the New European Driving Cycle.

The Cayenne Turbo, with its 500-horsepower, 4.8-liter twin-turbocharged V8 also consumes 23 percent less fuel than its predecessor despite its improved performance and acceleration.

Together with the Cayenne S Hybrid, three of the new Cayenne models produce less than 200 grams of CO2 per kilometer. At 193 g/km, the Cayenne S Hybrid is not only the cleanest Cayenne model, but also the cleanest vehicle in Porsche's entire portfolio.

That interior makes me :drool:.

·
Super Moderator
51,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What in the hell?! I guess we can thank the spammer litterfisher for uncovering this oddity.

I don't know why Cayenne posts are in a Boxter thread. :shrugs: **** it! Nothing I can do about it. Not worth anything to do about.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
you can change the title to 2010 Porsches

the Cayenne looks like it got some botched plastic surgery - maybe an eye lift and some botox.

That's a nice interior though. I'll take one, in Turbo, to tow my GT3 RS to the track on weekends.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts