NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Drive: 2008 Scion xB

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=120544?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1
First Impressions:
Exactly what you might not expect: a bigger, more adult xB.

More cubes!

The 2008 Scion xB reminds you of what was accomplished by the first 2004 xB, a car so shocking that the entire Scion brand still revolves around it.

Of course, it is true that the conventionally styled tC coupe now out-sells the xB. And you might remember that the company also sells a small hatch.

But since the xB hit the street back as a 2004 model, Scion's innovative commitment to personalizing its cars with optional accessories, its no-haggle pricing, and its thriving cultlike segment of borderline-scary owners, Scion is still recognized as the company that builds that funny box car.

So when it came time to design the all-new 2008 Scion xB, there was little chance it would be anything but a box.

Thinking Inside the Bigger Box
Odd as it might seem, what you see in these pictures and will begin seeing in Scion dealerships in a week or two is an Americanized version of the box thing. This is to say, the new xB is longer, lower and wider, and it has a bigger, more powerful engine.

The car that became the original 2004 Scion xB was never designed to American tastes. It was purely a product of Japan, where space is at a premium and styles, at least to American eyes, run from cutesy to what-in-god's-name. But this box is built for America, and there is currently no version of the new xB in the Japanese market.

At 167.3 inches, the '08 xB is longer by exactly a foot than the outgoing model. The new version is 3 inches wider than the old one. It rides on a wheelbase that's 4 inches longer. Its 16-valve, DOHC, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is the same that powers the Scion tC and the base-model Toyota Camry, and its increased displacement helps produce a maximum output of 158 horsepower, some 55 hp more than the previous motor.

If you looked only at the specifications, you'd think that the 2008 xB and Chrysler PT Cruiser were essentially the same car

·
Registered
748 Posts
we are getting these in off the ships next month, we will process and PDS these cars and then truck them to dealers...so we should be some of the first people in these, even before dealers.

Im gunna see how they are, finally used the 2.4 like the tC, so thank god for that.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
neological said:
It looks like a good people mover/utility car.
transportation appliance

the owners will give it as much love as their fridge and microwave (oddly, it looks like someone glued those two appliances together and that was the design scheme of this car)

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Id rather keep my Tc than that ugly ass box!

·
Super Moderator
43,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jlitman said:
The curious swap of "style" for "substance" in the new xb disgusts me. At least the previous gen xb was unique looking; now it closely resembles at least two other cars that I fvcking hate.
Fair enough, and I agree. The first generation xB was definitely distinctive, this one looks like it was designed with a focus groups input. I still like the new one.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Motor said:
jlitman said:
The curious swap of "style" for "substance" in the new xb disgusts me. At least the previous gen xb was unique looking; now it closely resembles at least two other cars that I fvcking hate.
Fair enough, and I agree. The first generation xB was definitely distinctive, this one looks like it was designed with a focus groups input. I still like the new one.
Okay -- I no longer hate you :)

On a related note, is the tc undergoing any major changes as well?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was lucky enough to be able be the few people that able to test drive this car before anyone else. I have actually test driven the new Scion xB on a ScionBackstage Event. To be honest, that thing actually handles much better than the tC, stock. Probably bc of the traction control and the VSC. This thing even has tipronic which they skipped out on the tC.

There's tons of body roll though.

As for the looks of the car. I actually like the old one better or the JDM Toyota Bb much better.

When I sat inside the interior, the side panels looks like it's made from cheap plastic. you can just knock on it and see how hollow it was.

As my overall impression. It's an awesome car. You can't get it wrong with a nice engine and a much cheaper price than a tC.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I think I am buying this.

It meets all of my criteria apart from one.

I need more space, and there is nothing out there that handles well that has a lot of space. At least this drives better than an Element with the same power.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts