NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Super Moderator
47,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW 3 Series
BMW recently resurrected the badge when it unveiled the 1-series tii concept at last year’s Tokyo Motor Show, which eventually turned into the new ‘BMW Performance’ accessories range. Like the original cars of the 1970s, the new accessories line included a series of weight saving and chassis enhancing mods as well as several power upgrades.

Now, BMW is considering doing the same for its next-generation 3-series sedan due in 2011, reports Autobild. Like the 1-series performance range, developers are planning to introduce carbon-fiber parts, new aero kits, larger wheels and brakes, sports bucket seats and steering wheels and new LED instrument clusters.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
that car looks gigantic, and it's not like a production tii version would have any real weight savings advantages for the price premium - i'm guessing that this is going to be the same case with the 1 series

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Sooo...

this car is meant to bridge the gap between the 335i & the M3?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
So every one gives chris bangle **** for the current BMWs which look amazing, then they go off and design that thing :AF:

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
At least there's still the ///M Coupe (I discount the Z4 Coupe because it has the hideous electro-mechanical steering and runflats - my two complaints about my Z4).

·
15,579 Posts
neological said:
Apparently BMW wants to sell 20some variations of the 3 series for some reason.
hey, if there's one (douchebag, moron, status whore, yuppie . . . fill in the blank) born every minute, why not take advantage of them?

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
marc said:
neological said:
hey, if there's one (douchebag, moron, status whore, yuppie . . . fill in the blank) born every minute, why not take advantage of them?
Rochester Lawyer? :D

·
15,579 Posts
Beast said:
marc said:
neological said:
Rochester Lawyer? :D
I don't drive a 3-series. The only BMW I would consider driving at the moment is the Z4 M Coupe - which also happens to be disgustingly incentivized ($52,000 car for $550/month).

The "I made it" douche car here is an A4 or G35x (the dealers actually don't carry the regular G35) anyways - people are too scared of RWD.

·
15,579 Posts
Automaton said:
Here the 3 and 5 series are the "lookit me!!!!!!!!!!! I can has lease payment?!" cars.
Yeah. DC was full of them. I'm told Socal is pretty much overrun as well.

I pay $340/month for my Z4 - people here thing its a ****ing exotic or something - meanwhile when I tell them I pay less/month for my car than they pay for their Camry it really irks them.

·
Super Moderator
47,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update!

BMW 3 Series GT?
The 5er GT was created to appeal to older customers who want a less sporting car, but do not want the ride height of the X6. Speculation says that a 3er GT wiill appeal to those wanting the performance of BMW's most popular car, the versatility of a hatchback, and a lower ride height than the X3. Such customers could be weekend athletes and couples with one or two children.

Supposedly called the Progressive Activity Coupe, or the V3, the rear-wheel-drive 3er GT would likely have a higher roofline than the 3 Series wagon, a longer wheelbase, and a nice amount of cabin space. All-wheel-drive would be an option, and a hybrid version is also possible.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Just give me a whatever series with the twin turbo V8 and stick already...preferably AWD...

·
Super Moderator
47,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update!

BMW Gives Green Light to 2011 335i GT Hatchback
Like 5 Series GT, the 335i GT will carry a price premium, settling in between the standard 3 Series and 5 Series. It is meant to rival Audi's A4 Avant lineup as well as the new Q3 SUV, which is an interesting point considering the compact X1 crossover is similar in size to the 335i and already set to come to the States in 2011.

:puke:

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Why on earth, doesn't the 3-series have enough variants already?

·
Super Moderator
47,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update!

BMW 'reinvents the 3-series'
BMW is poised to completely reinvent the 3-series family for the low-carbon age.

Sources say much of the underskin technology — such as the climate control system — will be completely re-engineered. Many of today’s in-car systems have in principle remained unchanged for decades.

BMW engineers are already years into programmes that will extend the reach of the company’s successful Efficient Dynamics fuel-saving tech to make all aspects of the 3-series — not just the engines — as energy-efficient as possible.

To this end, BMW has fitted thousands of existing customers’ cars with sophisticated black boxes that record all aspects of their use, helping engineers to plan the shape of future models.

BMW’s product planners expect most future car families — especially those in the premium sector — to come in both hybrid and fully electric forms.
Hybrid 3 on the way.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts